A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

It pays to be selfish

Old June 4th 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967
external usenet poster

Default It pays to be selfish

Insurance people told me you get a "good" discount if you agree to NEVER LET ANYBODY ELSE FLY YOUR GLIDER.

Man! Lots to learn.

I'm having to relearn a lot about Insurance and Aircraft. Like they don't care of the "experimental" word written on your glider. In GA that makes your insurance sky rocket. (if you can even get insurance)
Old June 5th 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 6:41:24 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:
Insurance people told me you get a "good" discount if you agree to NEVER LET ANYBODY ELSE FLY YOUR GLIDER.

Man! Lots to learn.

I'm having to relearn a lot about Insurance and Aircraft. Like they don't care of the "experimental" word written on your glider. In GA that makes your insurance sky rocket. (if you can even get insurance)

I'm with the SSA program with Costello. I allow a number of people to use my gliders(2 are at the Club Nationals now). I'm not aware that it costs me any more to do so.
UH
Old June 5th 19, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

I just insured with Costello through SSA.
It's about 10 percent or so more to bind coverage that allows others to use your glider.
They do require a CFIG cockpit checkout for the pilot using the glider prior to being flown.
Old June 5th 19, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 4:28:00 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
It's about 10 percent or so more to bind coverage that allows others to use your glider.
They do require a CFIG cockpit checkout for the pilot using the glider prior to being flown.

A lot can depend on glide ratio and things like complexity. A SLSP may not be something the insurance company will let others fly even if they leave the engine alone.
Seems there is a break point at which there is no "open pilot clause", and additional pilots cost additional money.

All this also depends on what you think a good deal is! If you allow another pilot to fly your glider and they allow you to fly theirs, seems to me a very good deal. Many find allowing a junior pilot to fly is a good deal.

If Ripacheco1967 and a friend bought a glider and each paid 1/2 of the insurance, maintenance, tiedowns, etc, that would be good too.
Jim
Old June 5th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

There is a middle option: add specific named pilot(s) to the coverage. Depending on the glider and the prior experience of this pilot(s), it may not cost any extra.
Old June 5th 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 4:28:00 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:

Many times in the past I added someone to my insurance at NO cost. Just had to be a named pilot, not open ended, and have a cockpit sign off. Can be a good idea to add your favorite instructor or mentor.
Old June 5th 19, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

That's right.Â* I have a friend on both the Stemme and the Cessna-180
policies for no extra cost.Â* He only had to execute a Pilot History Form
showing his qualifications.Â* The Stemme is way more complex to operate
than the 180, and the 180 requires much more attention during take off
and landing.Â* I'm also allowed to fly his glider.

On 6/4/2019 8:53 PM, wrote:
There is a middle option: add specific named pilot(s) to the coverage. Depending on the glider and the prior experience of this pilot(s), it may not cost any extra.

--
Dan, 5J