Which hand do I use on the stick of my Stemme

Old July 17th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb

Default Which hand do I use on the stick of my Stemme

Hi Gang
There is another current thread on the Taurus concerning from which
seat does the PIC usually fly and which hand is on the stick. Well the
Stemme poses similar questions. On takeoff from the left seat I use my
left hand on the stick with right hand on the throttle. Landing right
hand on the stick and left hand on the spoilers. Reverse hands from
the right seat. And what about soaring? I now feel after 10 years of
flying the Stemme equally comfortable using either hand on the stick.
There is an advantage in doing this with any large heavy 2 place
glider if you are going fly solo for many hours. That is to avoid one
hand fatigue.
Dave

PS Unless you instruct and fly a lot I would not recommend switching
seats and flying from either. These super complex and fairly difficult
to fly machines require flying skills that you have to keep current to
be safe. Randomly switching the PIC seats adds complexity which is not
desirable.
Dave
Old July 18th 10, 06:18 AM
EvValentin808 EvValentin808 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd6veb View Post
[...]

Well, I was the one who asked about the Taurus.

Unlike the Stemme, which has identical controls for both pilots, the Taurus is a different story. It has one lever for spoilers in the center console as well as the flap lever, so that matters. It might be the fact that most people are right handed right? So the fact of using the dominant hand on the stick to control the glider in a tedious landing process.
Old July 18th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

--
EvValentin808

The S10 does not have throttle, trim and some other controls identical
for both piltos. So handling things like a go around on a power-on
landing will involve different hand actions. It has replicated stick,
flaps and spoiler controls.

Many non-tandem seat power aircraft are flown by the PIC with yoke or
stick in the left-hand. You get used to it regardless of which-handed
you are. As Dave is pointing out switching seats and muscle memory/
familiarity with a cockit layout may hurt you.

I've never done a tedious landing, the landings I worry about are the
exact opposite to tedious.

Darryl
Old July 18th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

As a flight instructor that moves from left to right seat in a power
plane and then both front and back seats in a tandem glider, I make it
a practice to re-familiarize myself with the controls, EVERY time I
sit down in an aircraft. I don't have to think about which hand does
what so much as where are the controls located and where do I look for
information on the instrument panel. The flight school power fleet
has 35 different aircraft and the glider club 7. In our two SGS 2-33s
the panels are NOT the same and one of the Blaniks has some metric
instruments.

Life gets interesting as I start the day in a Piper Seminole (twin-
engine trainer) teaching a new multi-engine instructor and end the day
in the back seat of the 2-33 with no instruments at all!

Stemme S6 Thatcher Smith Soaring 0 January 26th 10 08:57 AM
Hand Propping_Adult - Fw_ Hand Propping.eml Ducky[_3_] Aviation Photos 2 June 6th 08 02:27 AM
Stemme Mal[_4_] Soaring 2 June 23rd 07 03:17 AM
Stemme S10 VT Mal Soaring 1 August 29th 06 04:15 PM
FS Stemme S 10V soarski Soaring 1 January 24th 05 10:09 PM