Engine "on condition"??

Old January 22nd 04, 07:58 PM
Frode Berg

Default Engine "on condition"??

Hi!

Just spoke to my mechanic, and he told me that there will be a new
regulation here in Norway for private aircraft that takes away the mandatory
engine replacement after approx 2000 hours.
Instead, an engine is allowed to run indefinately as long as the regular
maintenance is carried out at a sertified shop.
He said this is the way it works in the US. Can someone verify this, and
tell me, does anyone ever replace their engine if this is the regulations
apart from when having a total failure (fire and such..)

Also, what are the safety issues?
Does a new engine actually perform better?
He told me about a C177 that came to his shop from the US for overhaul
(change of a couple of sylinders +) and it had over 9000 hours on it's
engine...

I thought it was mandatory everywere to replace an engine after 2000 hours
(or whatever time on individual engines).
If this gets approved, it certainly is good news for us private operators.
Maybe a GNS430 is not so far reach anyway....(our engine is just over 2000
hours now...)

Thanks,

Frode Berg

Old January 22nd 04, 08:17 PM
Dave Butler

In the US for Part 91 flying (which you can approximately read as
"non-commercial flying") engine overhaul or replacement is *not* required at the
interval specified by the manufacturer's "recommended time between overhauls".
Most engines have recommended TBOs in the 2000 hour range.

Most engines get overhauled at something near their recommended TBOs.

Some people like to replace rather than overhaul.

Some people like to see how long they can go without overhauling.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367

Old January 22nd 04, 09:50 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Frode Berg" said:
Just spoke to my mechanic, and he told me that there will be a new
regulation here in Norway for private aircraft that takes away the mandatory
engine replacement after approx 2000 hours.

Our club aircraft have the idea life for an engine - they get flown
frequently, and mostly for travel instead of training. That means they
don't build up rust from sitting around, and they don't get horsed up to
full throttle and down to idle all the time. And because of that, we
almost always get way over TBO. Between borescoping at annual and doing a
oil analysis at every oil change, we're pretty good at spotting an engine
that is due to go, and we've gotten over 3,000 hours on a few engines.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.
Old January 22nd 04, 09:51 PM
MikeM

I've owned my Skylane since 1986.
I operate under part 91.
Continental O-470R engine

First run on the engine; it went to 2475hrs (975 beyond tbo),
and a cylinder lost compression. That was what ended the "on
condition" operation and the engine was overhauled in 1988.
When operating "on condition", it is usually the first thing
requiring a fix that causes the overhaul.

Second run; In early 2000, the engine was 500 beyond tbo and
running strong. Since I was planning several long trips, I elected
to overhaul it on my schedule. At the time Continental was having
trouble with new crankshafts and cylinders, so I choose an overhaul
instead of a factory remanufactered engine. I kept my crankcase
halves & crankshaft; got new cylinders, pistons, valves, lifters,
camshaft, etc. Cylinders were from Superior Millenium (third party).

Now about 600 hours into the third run; everything running good.

MikeM
Skylane