I just read the AOPA ePilot Flight Training Edition -- Vol. 4, Issue 4 from

Old February 21st 04, 01:13 AM
Roger Bartholomee

Default I just read the AOPA ePilot Flight Training Edition -- Vol. 4, Issue 4 from

I just read the AOPA ePilot Flight Training Edition -- Vol. 4, Issue 4 from
January and under Training Tips and they reference "The Tiedowns that Bind"
from the October 2000 AOPA Flight Training.

See: http://www.aopa.org/members/ftmag/ar...m?article=3811

The author says "It's important to leave a little slack in each line,
especially if you are expecting gusty wind conditions. Slack will allow the
airplane to move a little. Without any slack, a strong gust could damage the
airframe." I have always kept mine tight so the plane can't move around.
My feeling is the slack will allow the plane to move and then jerk to a
stop. Does anyone know the proper method and the reason?

Roger @ MD43 C150E

Old February 21st 04, 01:23 AM
mikem

I do as you do. IMHO, it is especially important not to leave any slack
if using chains. Keep 'em tight as possible.

MikeM

Old February 21st 04, 02:10 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Bartholomee wrote:

My feeling is the slack will allow the plane to move and then jerk to a
stop. Does anyone know the proper method and the reason?

I agree with you. Mine are kept about as tight as I can get them.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 21st 04, 02:36 AM
BTIZ

rope "gives" when jerked... chains don't give..

a little slack in chains can cause the wing to jerk when the chain looses
the slack which can damage where the tie down attaches to the wing

ropes give a little, like a bungee hitting the limit..

depending on how the tie down is attached to the wing.. don't trust Cessna
slots that slip into the strut and hide when flying..

BT

Old February 21st 04, 03:40 AM
Casey Wilson

"Roger Bartholomee" wrote in message
I just read the AOPA ePilot Flight Training Edition -- Vol. 4, Issue 4

from
January and under Training Tips and they reference "The Tiedowns that

Bind"
from the October 2000 AOPA Flight Training.

See: http://www.aopa.org/members/ftmag/ar...m?article=3811

The author says "It's important to leave a little slack in each line,
especially if you are expecting gusty wind conditions. Slack will allow

the
airplane to move a little. Without any slack, a strong gust could damage

the
airframe." I have always kept mine tight so the plane can't move around.
My feeling is the slack will allow the plane to move and then jerk to a
stop. Does anyone know the proper method and the reason?

I'm in the camp that says keep the lines tight. Any slack allows
movement, movement is energy, the energy is transmitted into a jerk when the
line comes taut.
Try this: have someone lay on their back, stretch a piece of thread
(ordinary sewing stuff, not upholstery or necklace thread) across the bridge
of their nose pinning it to the floor with your thumbs and ask them to sit
up. Then, allow one inch of slack on either end and have them sit up.

Old February 21st 04, 03:41 AM
Peter R.

BTIZ wrote:

. don't trust Cessna slots that slip into the strut and hide when flying..

Why? Have there been owners you know who experienced failures of these
types of slots?

--
Peter

Old February 21st 04, 04:58 AM
Chuck

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message

snip

Try this: have someone lay on their back, stretch a piece of thread
(ordinary sewing stuff, not upholstery or necklace thread) across the

bridge
of their nose pinning it to the floor with your thumbs and ask them to sit
up. Then, allow one inch of slack on either end and have them sit up.

I tried this with my wife. We couldn't find any thread, so I used kite
string.

We just returned from the emergency room. They said that my eye should open
back up in 3-5 days and the x-rays of her fist showed that it is just
sprained, not broken...

Just wanted to so thanks a helluva lot for your bright idea of an
experiment...

---

Old February 21st 04, 05:19 AM
BTIZ

Lets just say I've seen more than one Cessna flipped onto its back when tie
downs failed in high winds.. But Pipers seem to stay upright.

3 of the 5 I recall right now had at least one wing tie down fail, and they
were the type that are spring loaded and slip into the wing strut like the
C-177 type.

It is recommended by many, that when high winds are expected, to bring the
rope up over the strut, around and through the tie down eye, back around the
top of the strut again and the tie the rope with proper "truckers hitch" or
hurricane hitches. Continue the free end down the rope and secure it to
prevent it from flailing against the aircraft.

BT

"Peter R." wrote in message
BTIZ wrote:

. don't trust Cessna slots that slip into the strut and hide when

flying..

Why? Have there been owners you know who experienced failures of these
types of slots?

--
Peter

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old February 21st 04, 12:36 PM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 02:10:23 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

My feeling is the slack will allow the plane to move and then jerk to a
stop. Does anyone know the proper method and the reason?

I agree with you. Mine are kept about as tight as I can get them.

Agreed. I not only take up the slack but haul down on the line to make
sure it's stretched.

It must of course be nylon line. Nylon stretches. I don't know what
the drill ought to be with polypro or chain.

Among other things with slack line, I would worry that the knot might
work loose. (I forget what the knot is called, but I think it depends
on tension to hold it securely.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 21st 04, 01:32 PM
Cub Driver

. don't trust Cessna slots that slip into the strut and hide when flying..

Why? Have there been owners you know who experienced failures of these
types of slots?

The Bush Pilot guy advocates looping the line around the strut itself.
He thinks it so important that as I recall there are a couple or three
photos in the book showing exactly how to do it.

I have a notion that these piccys are on the net somewhere.

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com