Tire question

Old February 5th 05, 08:22 AM
Dale

In article O3YMd.20213$C24.19347@attbi_s52,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Do you make mostly right turns when taxiing?

After we've landed, they're almost all right turns to get back to my hangar.

Of course, before we depart, (on the way out to the runway) they're all left
turns!

;-)

Thinking about it you're probably not going to flatspot a tire taxiing,
unless you're a real aggressive taxier. G

I'd bet a little inadvertant skid due to strong right leg.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old February 5th 05, 02:53 PM
Jay Honeck

Thinking about it you're probably not going to flatspot a tire taxiing,
unless you're a real aggressive taxier. G

I'd bet a little inadvertant skid due to strong right leg.

Personally, as with anything that goes wrong with the airplane, I'm taking
the coward's way out...

....and blaming Mary.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 5th 05, 03:26 PM
Ron Natalie

Dale wrote:

Thinking about it you're probably not going to flatspot a tire taxiing,
unless you're a real aggressive taxier. G

I'd bet a little inadvertant skid due to strong right leg.

I've seen people doing things that could flat spot nose wheels when
taxiing Navions (I suspect you can do it with other planes as well).
The toe brake modification will let you drag the nose tire (you can
turn an arc smaller than the nose gear steering allows).
Old February 5th 05, 03:28 PM
Ron Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:

Personally, as with anything that goes wrong with the airplane, I'm taking
the coward's way out...

...and blaming Mary.

:-)

But Mary and the mechanic know who's really responsible :-)

Margy and our mechanic blame me for anythign that breaks. And I haven't
broken any rudder pedals since I bought 4 spares at the aeromart at Oskosh
a decade ago.
Old February 5th 05, 04:35 PM
Doug

Do you get prevailing crosswinds from one direction over the other at
your home airport?

Old February 5th 05, 06:37 PM
Bob Noel

In article yoLMd.48293$EG1.25376@attbi_s53,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Question: Any clues what could cause one tire to wear dramatically faster
than the other? (They were "Monster" retreads, BTW, which are highly
recommended by my shop for long life.)

With the huge increase in hp of your 235 vs your warrior, which foot are
using on take-off? might you be tapping the brake slightly?

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old February 6th 05, 03:13 PM
Jay Honeck

With the huge increase in hp of your 235 vs your warrior, which foot are
using on take-off? might you be tapping the brake slightly?

I suppose that's possible. We've been flying the 235 since '02 now, though,
so we're pretty used to it.

I'm going to watch Mary's feet next time we depart. When distracted she's
been known to taxi at high RPM and control speed with the brakes, which
drives me crazy, so perhaps she is controlling her take-off roll with a
touch of right brake?

Trouble is, at 5 feet tall she has to pull the seat all the way forward, so
I doubt I'll be able to see her feet, now that I think about it...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 05, 04:16 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm going to watch Mary's feet next time we depart. When distracted she's
been known to taxi at high RPM and control speed with the brakes, which
drives me crazy, so perhaps she is controlling her take-off roll with a
touch of right brake?

Are you also going through right brake pads more rapidly than left? If not, it's
not a braking issue.

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.
Old February 6th 05, 04:57 PM
Juan Jimenez

Put some microswitches on the pedals, hook them up to LED's on the panel and
watch how she's using the brakes.

Old February 6th 05, 06:21 PM
Bob Noel

In article WBpNd.51568$EG1.41332@attbi_s53,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

With the huge increase in hp of your 235 vs your warrior, which foot are
using on take-off? might you be tapping the brake slightly?

I suppose that's possible. We've been flying the 235 since '02 now, though,
so we're pretty used to it.

I'm going to watch Mary's feet next time we depart.

[snip]

still trying to blame Mary, eh?

:-)