battery charger to get through Piper power port?

Old March 10th 05, 04:08 AM
Kyler Laird

Default battery charger to get through Piper power port?

I bought a cheap SLA trickle charger at a ham fest awhile ago thinking
I might use it with a cable I made for my Aztec. On a warm (but not
warm enough) day last week I tried start the plane without heating the
engines. I failed. I thought it would be a good time to try the
charger.

I knew my bigger charger wouldn't work because it requires a battery
with *some* power to trigger it to start charging. That fails with the
Piper power port because the charger has to supply enough current to
trip the relay before connecting to the battery. It's a standoff.

Well, this trickle charger apparently works the same way. It wants to
sense a charge before it puts out.

Anyone know of a small charger that is safe for extended use and will
produce a charge without first sensing a battery? I'm about ready to
take my inverter and voltmeter to the auto parts store for testing.

Thank you.

--kyler
Old March 10th 05, 12:05 PM
Denny

1. Simplest solution is a dumb charger that doesn't know whether it is
attached to a battery or not... That will put out DC power, no matter
what, which will provide the Piper solenoid with current to operate...
Of course, a dumb charger will over charge to 15 or 16 volts and boil
off the electrolyte over time...
Now, the solution here is to reduce the primary voltage to the charger
so that the charging voltage does not exceed 13.4 volts DC in trickle
mode... This can be as simple as a light bulb socket from the hardware
store wired to a duplex plug in SERIES, so that the 110 volt current
goes through the bulb and then through the 110v cord to the charger...
By selecting a small enough wattage bulb you will limit the voltage and
current to the charger which will hold down the battery voltage to 13.4
v under trickle conditions... You can play with the bulb size at home
using your car as the airplane battery until you get the correct
wattage bulb..
2. Next solution is to have a small battery attached to the output of
the charger which will supply the load to activate the charger and also
to operate the solenoid in the plane..

3.. Best solution! Have your mechanic change the Positive lead from
the Piper plug so that it goes around the solenoid and directly to the
battery... This is how I have Fat Albert The Apache wired (and every
airplane I have ever owned) for charging and jump starting...

denny

Old March 10th 05, 04:09 PM
Ben Hallert

One thought, I've seen chargers that have a 'Jump start' mode and a
trickle mode. Perhaps you would be able to hit the 'Jump Start' button
for a few seconds to create the charge, then let trickle take the rest?

Old March 10th 05, 04:30 PM
kage

Won't work.

One needs BATTERY power to close the AUX charging contactor. No amount of
charger power will charge a dead battery through the AUX port, and that is
pretty much universal to Beech, Piper, Cessna.

If the battery is dead it should be taken out and serviced. The manufactures
do this for safety.

Karl

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 12:35 AM

I use one of those power adapters for computer components to slow charge
my battery.
Get one for 1/2 amp@12 volts and it should work just fine.
They can be bought for cheap or just scrounged.
I've also seen 28v versions.

Cheers

Dave

Old March 12th 05, 04:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Denny" writes:

1. Simplest solution is a dumb charger that doesn't know whether it is
attached to a battery or not...

That's where I was headed but, as you described, it wouldn't be good for
long-term use and that's what I really want. I'd like to just plug it
in when I put away the plane, just as I do for the engine heaters. That
way I'd be able to run the cabin heater for awhile when I'm getting
ready for the next flight without worrying so much about the battery not
handling it.

Stepping down the voltage is certainly an option. I'm not looking for a
fast charge.

2. Next solution is to have a small battery attached to the output of
the charger which will supply the load to activate the charger and also
to operate the solenoid in the plane..

I finally stumbled on to that yesterday. I have a portable "jump start"
battery (with a handy inverter attached). I realized that if I connect
that to the power port and then plug its charger into it, I have
basically what I want. It would also be handy for helping to run the
heater after I pull the plane out of the hangar, especially on trips
away from home (where I could charge it at a hotel or in a rental car).

3.. Best solution! Have your mechanic change the Positive lead from
the Piper plug so that it goes around the solenoid and directly to the
battery... This is how I have Fat Albert The Apache wired (and every
airplane I have ever owned) for charging and jump starting...

You had no problem with that?! Cool! I wanted this anyway because I'd
like to make a 12VDC tug and the power port is sitting right there just
begging to be used. (Having my tug not start recently makes this even
more enticing.)

Sidenote: I didn't realize the small airplane tug was invented right
here at Purdue...in 2003 (well after I bought my PowerTow).
http://news.uns.purdue.edu/UNS/html4...fi.towbar.html

Otherwise, pilots have to muscle their planes into place with
a manual towbar or have someone at the airport use a tractor-
like towing vehicle,

There must have been some reason to have the port "protected" by the
relay. Are we sure that this is safe and not (more) likely to rankle
any FSDO types? I sure don't see the harm in it other than producing a
signficant reaction if a conductor is jammed into the port. I wouldn't
mind replacing the solenoid with a manual switch inside the nose
baggage compartment.

Thanks!

--kyler
Old March 12th 05, 11:40 PM
David Lesher

Kyler Laird writes:

{Switched power port}

I'm trying to grok how this works. What comes to mind is a 3-ping
connector: Hot, Ground, Control. Put +13v on the third pin by having
it jumpered to Hot WITHIN the cable's plug and that will do it.

You can then put a diode in series with the control lead so as to NOT
close the relay if the polarity is backwards. (Doing so would result
in what a former cow orker called "Big Sparky-Do's"... as the two
13.8 v sources would be in series with the only resistance being the
wiring and contactor..) A diode in series with the main lead with a) need
to be BIG... b) introduce unwanted voltage drop.

But is this how they did it? Suspect not...

3.. Best solution! Have your mechanic change the Positive lead from
the Piper plug so that it goes around the solenoid and directly to the
battery... This is how I have Fat Albert The Apache wired (and every
airplane I have ever owned) for charging and jump starting...

You had no problem with that?! Cool! I wanted this anyway because I'd
like to make a 12VDC tug and the power port is sitting right there just
begging to be used. (Having my tug not start recently makes this even
more enticing.)

Err. reverse polarity protection? And a short at the external cables
may start a fire inside....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old March 13th 05, 02:30 PM

: 3.. Best solution! Have your mechanic change the Positive lead from
: the Piper plug so that it goes around the solenoid and directly to the
: battery... This is how I have Fat Albert The Apache wired (and every
: airplane I have ever owned) for charging and jump starting...

I haven't really been following this thread too closely, nor have I looked at
the schematics, but it sounds like it's wired from the factory with a safety
interlock that you are proposing to bypass. When I worked on the HEV project at UIUC,
we had a similar setup with the big charging plug... basically in order to charge the
car, there had to be 14v present *in the car* to close the relay to enable the
high-voltage contactor. There were also diodes present in the HV line to make sure it
was impossible to discharge the battery out the charging port. Granted, a lot of
safety issues are reduced when both sides have a max of 15v, rather than the 350 I was
working with, BUT...

The way it was wired from the factory no doubt was pontificated upon a great
deal. I suggest you consider *ALL* possible failure modes and do the appropriate
official paperwork approved. Making big sparks in an aluminum plane is not good for
its structural soundness. Even if "Cooter the Airplane Mechanic" has done it 100
times before, it only takes one error to have a 1" hole burned in the side of the
plane.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 16th 05, 02:37 AM
David Lesher

Kyler Laird writes:

3.. Best solution! Have your mechanic change the Positive lead from
the Piper plug so that it goes around the solenoid and directly to the
battery... This is how I have Fat Albert The Apache wired (and every
airplane I have ever owned) for charging and jump starting...

You had no problem with that?! Cool! I wanted this anyway because I'd
like to make a 12VDC tug and the power port is sitting right there just
begging to be used. (Having my tug not start recently makes this even
more enticing.)

I'm an EE, not an A&P, but your plan really scares me.

The external power jack is unfused so you can jump-start from it.
That's why the solenoid has that scheme to keep a "dead face" aka
no power on the exposed pin.

I don't suggest this lightly, knowing the BS and $$, but have you
considered adding a 2nd jack, smaller in size? That COULD be fused
at say 60A, and always live. That could accommodate both a charger,
or your power-tug, with no risk to your aluminum friend...or you
while in it.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old March 17th 05, 03:08 PM
Kyler Laird

David Lesher writes:

I don't suggest this lightly, knowing the BS and $$, but have you
considered adding a 2nd jack, smaller in size? That COULD be fused
at say 60A, and live. That could accommodate both a charger, or your
power-tug, with no risk to your aluminum friend...or you while in it.

Standing at the plane a few nights ago, I considered the same thing.
I've been working on blending a small charger and some old batteries
(from my electric lawn mower) to make a compatible charger.

I decided that I should add some resistance just in case one of the
batteries (plane or charger) gets really low. I don't want a sudden
rush through it. Then I realized that if I'm going to do that I might
as well just use small connectors and wire. And if I'm going to do
that I don't really need to use the high-power port.

However...using the existing power port is handy. The best thing about
it is that it's externally accessible. I can put a charger on it
without leaving the nose open. I leave expensive stuff (headsets) in
the nose so even in my (shared) hangar it's worthwhile to keep it
locked, but it's especially advantageous if I'm on the ramp somewhere
leaving the cabin and engine and heaters on.

Perhaps the answer is to bridge the relay contacts with a low-current
toggle circuit breaker? That would allow me to easily control whether
or not trickle charging or discharge can occur through the port but if
I happen to leave it enabled and a short or reverse polarity condition
occurs the circuit would be broken.

See any problems with that?

Thank you.

--kyler

'73 Piper Charger Kobra Instrument Flight Rules 1 March 27th 04 08:49 PM
'73 Piper Charger Kobra Owning 1 March 27th 04 08:49 PM
Piper Pathfinder Article john smith Piloting 24 March 14th 04 01:04 AM
Battery Replacement and Cold Cranking Amps O. Sami Saydjari Owning 27 February 2nd 04 02:38 PM
New Piper Aircraft Designations EDR Piloting 8 October 27th 03 01:18 PM