Mooney info?

Old November 25th 05, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Mooney info?

I'm considering a Mooney and would like to learn about the different models.
Any suggestions?

Old November 25th 05, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

Jim

news

Old November 25th 05, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Join the Mooney mailing list(s). Lurk and contribute. Ask questions. You
will learn about all Mooney models from owners, pilots, Mooney factory folk,
and the original pilots that flew Mooneys for FAA certification test
flights. Check it out.
http://lists.aviating.com/mooney/

John Severyn
@KLVK

news

Old November 25th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

http://modsquad.cc/Frames/Intro/intro_f.html has more info. There are also
a couple of Mooney type clubs, Mooney Owners of America or something
similar. One used to have a Mooney Buyers Guide or Kit that they sold to
give prospective owners info on each model.

Once you've narrowed it down to a model and year, you can search the FAA
database and research all the AD's.

Also, talk to several owners to get realistic ideas of speeds, room/space,
and expenses.

Jim

news

Old November 28th 05, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

All good info. Its hard to go wrong with a Mooney unless you are short.
Fast plane made for tall pilots.

-Robert, 6'4"

Old November 28th 05, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

MOA (Mooney Owners Association) and MAPA (Mooney Aircraft Pilot's
Association). Of the twp MAPA is probably more populare but MOA has the
world famous Bob Kromer who was a test pilot for Mooney in their rag.
MAPA is owned by an insurance co trying to sell you insurance (smae one
as Cessna and Bonanza's association) and MOA is owned by a Mooney
service center trying to sell you mods.

-Robert

Old November 28th 05, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert M. Gary wrote:

All good info. Its hard to go wrong with a Mooney unless you are short.
Fast plane made for tall pilots.

Why? Does the seat not move far enough forward to reach the pedals or
is it a visibility over the instrument panel issue? Obviously, I've
never sat in a Mooney.

Matt
Old November 28th 05, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

A little of both. I have a friend that is about 5'10" and he has a bit
of trouble. First, he does have a little trouble seeing over the panel.
Second, while he can move the seat up it causes the yoke to be closer
to his belly than he'd like. It ends up not being much of a big deal
for VFR but he feels odd during IFR trying to reach charts with the
yoke between his eyes and his kneeboard. In a Mooney you sit low with
your feet almost straight out in front of you. Its great of us tall
guys who want a very long stretch to the pedals but harder for those
less tall.

BTW: My wife is 5'5" and cannot see anything in front of us at
all.However, that issue could be solved with a cushion and perhaps
pedal extensions.
-Robert

Old November 28th 05, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Matt Whiting" wrote:

All good info. Its hard to go wrong with a Mooney unless you are
short.
Fast plane made for tall pilots.

Why? Does the seat not move far enough forward to reach the pedals or
is it a visibility over the instrument panel issue? Obviously, I've
never sat in a Mooney.

There isn't a "good" position for the seat if you're under 6', IMO. I'm
5'11" and I very much dislike flying my friends M20F because of the way
I have to pull the seat so close to the yoke. Visibility over the glare
shield is poor, too. The overall feeling is claustrophobic compared to
a Bonanza or a 172.

Pre-201 Mooneys are not very fast, either unless they have extensive
speed mod's. My buddy's airplane is barely 10 knots faster than mine.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Mooney M20 K on Grass ? Andrew Boyd Owning 0 August 13th 04 03:00 PM
Helicopter Physics info online anywhere?? [email protected] Rotorcraft 4 April 24th 04 04:18 PM
Mooney info eddie Owning 13 March 12th 04 06:42 PM
Starting new info site need info from the pros MRQB Piloting 7 January 5th 04 03:20 AM
that Mooney in DC ADIZ Cub Driver Piloting 10 November 13th 03 09:15 PM