garmin or something else

Old August 20th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Kelly

Default garmin or something else

I'm trying to figure out what portable device to buy to provide in-
flight weather, as well as terrain info. Electronic approach plates
and enroute charts, as well as flight planning capability, would also
be a plus, but not essential. I fly a Cessna 172 that is already
equipped with a Garmin 430. I have read about both the Garmin 396 and
496, and I borrowed the 496 to use for a couple of flights. I have
also checked out several EFB-type systems online, such as through
Anywhere Map, Voyager, and Chart Case, which can be used on a laptop
or tablet, or in some cases, a smartphone.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had good luck with either
a laptop or smartphone medium, and what software package was used.
Also, I know how the 396 and 496 differ, but would like to know if you
think the 496 is worth the extra $600. I should also mention that I
like the "6-pack" panel page on the Garmins as a potential backup in
the event of vacuum pump or electrical failure, and wonder how much
difference the faster refresh rate on the 496 makes for this page. I
guess I am leaning toward a Garmin at this point, but would first like
to hear some other comments on these issues.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly

Old August 20th 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Kelly" wrote:

I would be interested to know if anyone has had good luck with either
a laptop

I used WxWorx on a laptop before the 396 came out. I loved the software but
hated using the laptop in the plane.

A 396/496 is definitely the way to go if you don't plan on getting
panel-mounted satellite weather.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 20th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Butler

Kelly wrote:

Also, I know how the 396 and 496 differ, but would like to know if you
think the 496 is worth the extra $600. I should also mention that I
like the "6-pack" panel page on the Garmins as a potential backup in
the event of vacuum pump or electrical failure, and wonder how much
difference the faster refresh rate on the 496 makes for this page.

I think the 396 and 496 both update their navigation solution at 1 Hz.

The difference in refresh rate refers only to the graphic screen update
when you (for example) slew the moving map. I stand ready to be
corrected on this point, however.

I have the 396 and it's fine for depicting nexrad. The graphic screen
update is indeed a bit slow if you're navigating with it and frequently
change scales or slew the map around with the cursor.

I think for the uses you describe, the 396 will do fine in a 172. I
wouldn't depend on either of them as a backup for vacuum in a fast,
slippery airplane.
Old August 20th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Dave Butler wrote:
Kelly wrote:

[...]

From Garmin's website.

".Faster 5 Hz GPS updating of map data and "panel page" gives a smoother,
nearly real-time presentation of turn coordinator and HSI."

I'm planning on putting a 496 in my 601XL that's only other flight
instrument is going to be a Dynon EFIS. Because of this the GPS derived
panel in the 496 is of great interest to me as an emergency pack up.

To test I went up in a 496 equipped 172, a hood and another pilot and
simulated a panel is dead and in the soup. I used the 496 Panel page and was
able to get to 500 feet and the right end of the runway with the shiny side
up. I'm sold on the thing. It is critical though to give the instrument time
to average out. Especially airspeed. Don't chase it.

Old August 20th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ray Andraka

Dave Butler wrote:
Kelly wrote:

[...]

The 496 also has the AOPA directory built in, which I don't believe the
396 has. I went through the same debate and settled on the 496 at OSH,
partly because it is currently the latest which means it may be
supported further into the future.
Old August 20th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I would be interested to know if anyone has had good luck with either
a laptop

I used WxWorx on a laptop before the 396 came out. I loved the software but
hated using the laptop in the plane.

Jim Burns has weather on a laptop, which works amazingly well -- UNTIL
you hit turbulence. (Jim, chime in here whenever you want to...)

Looking down into your lap whilst traversing severe bumps --
especially in IFR conditions -- is a great way to make yourself very,
very ill.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 20th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
dave

I have a garmin 430 in my airplane and I still carry my old garmin 196.
I do want to get weather so I've been thinking about the
flightcheetah 190 or a software based system that I could run on a
palmtop like the Samsung Q1. I like the idea of using the Samsung
because I could also use it for work. Here's some links
approach systems - software only - http://www.approach-systems.com/apic.asp
True Systems - both hardware and software solutions
http://www.aviationsafety.com/fl_190.htm
Flightprep - software only but apparently they'll package it with
hardware if you want
http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.php?page=HomeEFBSW
Dave
M35

Old August 20th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

I had a chance to play with an Avmap Pro nice unit slim and fast not all the
frills of the garmin unit but nice large & clear display. Simple to use
also. I am buying one when I get the extra funds.

http://www.avmapnavigation.com/index.php?swt=1203&ipr=9

ups.com...

Old August 22nd 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Kelly

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

To test I went up in a 496 equipped 172, a hood and another pilot and
simulated a panel is dead and in the soup. I used the 496 Panel page and was
able to get to 500 feet and the right end of the runway with the shiny side
up. I'm sold on the thing. It is critical though to give the instrument time
to average out. Especially airspeed. Don't chase it.

I'm glad to hear that this worked out. I read a similar account in
Aviation Consumer, and it may have even been with a 396, In that
article, the point was made that the 396 (or 496) was a viable backup
in an emergency situation.

In considering the various options I have to get wx in flight, I
figure I will have to spend a minimum of $1200 or $1300, which at this
range would involve using my laptop along with a wxworx receiver, gps
receiver, and one of the less expensive flight planning/wx software
programs. When I consider this cost, it doesn't make the 396 at $1800
look so bad (or for that matter even the 496 at $2300).

One last thing -- has anyone used a smartphone communicating with a wx
receiver in flight? The approach systems software mentioned by one of
the posters has that option, as does Anywhere Map.

Kelly

XM Wx Garmin 430/430W with Garmin GDL-69? [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 4 March 5th 07 03:52 AM
Garmin 396 and XM John Doe Products 1 December 16th 05 02:12 AM
This is why Garmin 296's street price has been dropping -> Garmin 396 [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 7 July 11th 05 06:39 PM
Garmin GNC 480 and MX 20 Paul Missman Owning 3 December 3rd 04 11:58 PM
FA: Garmin 195 JerryK Aviation Marketplace 1 September 8th 03 09:41 PM