Engine analyzers

Old October 4th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default Engine analyzers

Frank Stutzman wrote:

I know the principles behind APS, GAMI and Tornado Alley are very much
excited about a new player in the market: Xerion. See
http://www.xerionavionix.com/auracle1.html

At first glance, I have to admit that I am not too impressed with the data
presentation when comparing it to the JPI EDM-930.

http://www.jpinstruments.com/edm_930.html

From the pictures on their site the data on the Xerion unit appear too
crowded within the confines of that display. Must be more there under the
surface to excite that crowd?

--
Peter
Old October 4th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"Peter R." wrote in message
Frank Stutzman wrote:

I know the principles behind APS, GAMI and Tornado Alley are very much
excited about a new player in the market: Xerion. See
http://www.xerionavionix.com/auracle1.html

At first glance, I have to admit that I am not too impressed with the data
presentation when comparing it to the JPI EDM-930.

http://www.jpinstruments.com/edm_930.html

From the pictures on their site the data on the Xerion unit appear too
crowded within the confines of that display. Must be more there under the
surface to excite that crowd?

How about this one?
http://www.buy-ei.com/EI_MVP-50_Glas...or_Display.htm

Old October 4th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

My mechanic likes the JPI. Any specific feedback on them would be helpful.

We have flown with the EDM-700 since having our engine rebuilt (at the
same time we bought the plane, a '74 Cherokee Pathfinder) in 2002.
We've now used it for 500+ hours, and know it very well.

1. The engine monitor is irreplaceable in the diagnostic role. When we
are on the take-off roll, the co-pilot (my wife and are both pilots,
and we have some pretty rigorous CRM) calls out "6 good bars" --
meaning that we have all six cylinders firing, and that the bars are
straight across, meaning that they're all about the same temperature.
If they're not, we'll abort.

We invented this procedure after losing our #2 cylinder on takeoff from
Titusville, FL, back in '04. The JPI made diagnosing the problem
nearly instantaneous -- but it probably would have been noticeable
before rotation if we had used this procedure back then. As it worked
out, we flew the pattern on 5 cylinders, and landed without incident.

2. The add-on digital oil temperature is excellent, as opposed to the
very inaccurate, hard to read Piper gauge.

3. The "lean-find" feature is something you use about 10 times, and
then you forget about it.

4. The "shock-cooling alarm" (it blinks when your EGTs drop more than
50 degrees in a prescribed amount of time) is nice to raise awareness
of the problem. You can use the JPI to slowly retard your throttle on
descents, and keep your EGTs within a very narrow temperature range.
(The jury is still out on "shock cooling", IMHO -- but the engine is so
expensive, I pretend it really exists and fly accordingly, under the
"this can't hurt anything" rule of engine management)

We have not added the fuel flow option, as our plane came equipped with
the JPI FS-450 digital fuel flow meter.

It's a great tool, and I would not fly without it by choice anymore.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 5th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
randall g

On 4 Oct 2006 15:36:27 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

It's a great tool, and I would not fly without it by choice anymore.

I agree, and I shudder when I think of how blind I was flying all those
rental airplanes...

randall g =%^) PPASEL+Night 1974 Cardinal RG
http://www.telemark.net/randallg
Lots of aerial photographs of British Columbia at:
http://www.telemark.net/randallg/photos.htm
Vancouver's famous Kat Kam: http://www.katkam.ca
Old October 5th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:36:27 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

3. The "lean-find" feature is something you use about 10 times, and then
you forget about it.

I assume you mean that you cease using it. Why?

- Andrew

Old October 5th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler[_1_]

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:36:27 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

3. The "lean-find" feature is something you use about 10 times, and then
you forget about it.

I assume you mean that you cease using it. Why?

I assume he means that the TLAR method works just as well.
Old October 5th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:04:42 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

I assume he means that the TLAR method works just as well.

I might have assumed the same thing. Had I known what the "TLAR method"
is. Or maybe not.

Laugh

What's the TLAR method?

- Andrew

Old October 5th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler[_1_]

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:04:42 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

I assume he means that the TLAR method works just as well.

I might have assumed the same thing. Had I known what the "TLAR method"
is. Or maybe not.

Laugh

What's the TLAR method?

Thought you'd never ask. ;-) "That Looks About Right".
Old October 5th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:25:36 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

What's the TLAR method?

Thought you'd never ask. ;-) "That Looks About Right".

Please hand back my leg when you're done with it.

Laugh

- Andrew

P.S. I still want to know the answer to my original
question: why does one cease using "lean find"?

Old October 6th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Because all the experienced LOP users do the BRP, and then enrichen to
desired max CHT.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:25:36 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

What's the TLAR method?

Thought you'd never ask. ;-) "That Looks About Right".

Please hand back my leg when you're done with it.

Laugh

- Andrew

P.S. I still want to know the answer to my original
question: why does one cease using "lean find"?

Engine Balancing and Resonance Vibration Problem AllanFuller Owning 13 September 12th 05 12:51 AM
Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
What if the germans... Charles Gray Military Aviation 119 January 26th 04 11:20 PM