European 15m and Open championships: 1000 Km task!

Old July 5th 05, 08:08 PM
goneill

There was a 1000k task at a New Zealand South island Regionals a year
or two back,I think 2/3rds of the fleet made it round
"hazzu" wrote in message
.. .

"Lars Peder Hansen" kirjoitti
ele.dk...
The European championships for 15m and open class started today in

Finland.
The tasks on the first day is 834 Km for 15 meter and 1012 Km for open. I
guess that will get the attention of the participants ;-)

The results:

In Open Class all but three pilots made it (1 K, that is!) and also all
the
three not completing the task flew over 900 K.

The 15 meter class had clearly easier task, only one pilot outlanded.

So, this must be Finland

Just out of curiosity: What is the longest task given AND completed in any
major competition?

And now some sleep

Best regards,

hannu, the guy messing the results...

Old July 5th 05, 08:16 PM
Erik Braun

Hi Ray,

According to the rules, bug wipers are not allowed
in competitions flown in the US. At least, that's
the way I interpret the rules...

Wow, that's a pity!

Which model of LS1 do you fly?

I own a LS1-e, s/n 155, which has the fuselage of the -d model combined with
a tailplane of the -f model but a bit thinner. The wings are the same.
AFAIK only two of them were built.
In humid conditions with many bugs or in rain I experienced high minimum
speeds. In thermals I have to maintain at least 90kph after some time,
depending on the amount of bugs, when not using wipers.

Where in Europe do you fly?

My club is located in Southern Germany north of Stuttgart. We often have a
lot of bugs in the air, especially after heavy rain in summer.

Old July 5th 05, 09:48 PM
BB

Bug wipers are allowed in US contests in all classes except sports and
PW5. (Just bring up the rules from ssa or sra website and search for
"bug wiper". It took me less than 2 minutes.) Not many pilots use them
in the US, I presume because most US contest flying is a lot less buggy
than in Europe. Or maybe we're all following a nice implicit bargain
"if nobody else bothers with them I won't add them either" to keep
things a bit simpler for once.

John Cochrane BB

Old July 6th 05, 02:37 PM
Bo Brunsgaard

"Guy Byars" wrote in message ...
From (poor) memory, I seem to recall stories of two previous 1K tasks
during competitions (I believe one was in the US, and one possibly in
Australia?). Details are hazy, but I think the number of finishers in
each case was in the very low single digit range. Nothing like 17
finishers.

17-September-1990, New Castle Virginia. 1000k task, 16 finishers.

http://www.brss.net/1000k.htm

Sorry, my error. Shouldn't rely that much on memory anymore, this
close to my fourtieth birthday.

Bo
Old July 6th 05, 10:31 PM
Andy

I think they were not allowed in US until very recently. I didn't see
the change in the rules summary and I heard people saying they were
banned even though the rules said they were not. I wondered if it was
a mistake but didn't take advantage of it as we seldom see much bug
contamination in SW USA. This spring in AZ was unusually buggy so it
made me think of them again.

Andy

Old July 8th 05, 01:18 AM

1000km triangle in Australian nationals at Waikerie in 1980s. Some made
it around, some not. Apparently two of those who did make it also
played the start game!
Tom

Old July 9th 05, 06:46 PM
GK

It seems that Diana 2 flies as pretty as it looks. J.Centka leads the
15 meter class after wining three days so far...

Old July 11th 05, 11:50 PM
CM

Is it the ship or the pilot? Diana 2 and Centka won yesterday and
today again. Five wins so far.

Old July 12th 05, 12:09 AM
GK

You think an ex open class Champion would be able to beat the crap out
Ventus 2's, Asw 27's flying flapped version of Pewee? At this level of
competition its both!