Soaring School

Old July 8th 05, 11:04 PM
Adetokunbo Desalu

Default Soaring School

I am a private pilot but I am interested in soaring. Is there a soaring
school in Pittsburgh area or that location is not ideal place for soaring?

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
Dyin' to Soar!

Old July 9th 05, 12:13 AM
Paul Remde

Hi Toks,

I'm sorry, but you will need to be more specific. Do you mean Pittsburg, PA
in the USA? If so, you should check-out the SSA web site at SSA.org. There
is a cool new tool there for finding soaring locations.
http://www.ssa.org/test/sport/wheretofly.asp

Another source of links to soaring sites is my Soaring Links web site. Go
to:
http://www.soarmn.com/soaring_links/...m#Pennsylvania

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old July 9th 05, 02:23 PM
Tim Mara

we have a club, not in Pittsburgh, but not all too far away......northern
Pennsylvania
you can find our details on http://www.wingsandwheels.com/Brokenstraw.htm
Great place to soar and learn to soar ...cheap!
tim

Old July 9th 05, 11:03 PM
GM

Try http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/gliders/
This is the web-sit of the Pittsburgh Soaring Club, which flies nea
Eighty-Four, PA, about an hour south of Pittsburgh.

GM

Old July 11th 05, 04:36 PM
Tim Mara

we had another person from Pittsburgh just join our Brokenstraw Soaring
club. He had investigated the club last summer and then just yesterday
joined the club....on his first official flight as a member of the club, on
his intro flight (he's power rated and flew up in a C-172) did silver
distance with an instructor.......in a K7!
tim

Old July 11th 05, 07:58 PM

I learned to fly gliders at http://www.silentwingssoaring.com/ However
they are not operating this year.

Others have mentioned Brokenstraw and Bandel. The third alternative
you might consider is http://www.eglider.org/ Assuming you have the
flexibility with your schedule to attend one of their week long
courses.

Feel free to contact me directly if you want my opinion on each of
these operations (I'm located in Pittsburgh as well). You will find at
each location a set of very nice knowledgable folks that will introduce
you to the wonders of powerless flight.

Good luck,

-bob

Old July 12th 05, 12:37 AM
yooper

Try the Pittsburgh Soaring Club website. They fly out of Bandera field
near Glyde PA, also near 84 PA, 35 mi south of Pittsburgh near I 70.