WX forecasts

Old August 21st 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

Default WX forecasts

We've had a pretty crummy soaring season this year in So Cal.
But has anyone else noted that the WX predictions from XC Skies and
Blipmaps seem to be too optimistic?

Sure seems that way to me.

Anyone else noticed that?

Dan
WO
Old August 22nd 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Aug 21, 12:46*pm, Dan wrote:
We've had a pretty crummy soaring season this year in So Cal.
But has anyone else noted that the WX predictions from XC Skies and
Blipmaps seem to be too optimistic?

Sure seems that way to me.

Anyone else noticed that?

Dan
WO

Yes, but I don't think it has been any MORE optimistic than last
year. It's just that when it predicts lift to 20k, and the lift only
goes to 18k, we don't get too worked up. When the forecast is for
lift to 14k, and we only get to 12k, it will make a significant
difference in your flight.
Old August 22nd 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, but I don't think it has been any MORE optimistic than last
year. *It's just that when it predicts lift to 20k, and the lift only
goes to 18k, we don't get too worked up. *When the forecast is for
lift to 14k, and we only get to 12k, it will make a significant
difference in your flight.

I tend to agree. Actually, for the El Mirage area, the RUC forecast
seems to be right on, the NAM, as usual, is a little optomistic as
regards cu's.
Sometimes we get really good days in early Sept, so don't write off
the season yet...

aerodyne

Old August 23rd 10, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Aug 22, 6:29*am, wrote:
Yes, but I don't think it has been any MORE optimistic than last
year. *It's just that when it predicts lift to 20k, and the lift only
goes to 18k, we don't get too worked up. *When the forecast is for
lift to 14k, and we only get to 12k, it will make a significant
difference in your flight.

I tend to agree. *Actually, for the El Mirage area, the RUC forecast
seems to be right on, the NAM, as usual, is a little optomistic as
regards cu's.
Sometimes we get really good days in early Sept, so don't write off
the season yet...

aerodyne

The newer experimental Rapid Refresh model (soon to become the
operational RUC) is significantly better. I have been using it for
several months in Arizona and it consistently outperforms RUC, NAM and
GFS, at least in the short-term. It has sufficient spacial and time
resolution that it can forecast areas of individual storms and
convergence.

It is available (usually) on the NOAA soundings page, but loads slowly
as it is experimental.

When it differs significantly from RUC and NAM, I go with RR.

Mike

Mike