Should I be scared -- C172 over Gross

Old April 17th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default Should I be scared -- C172 over Gross

On Apr 18, 8:01 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
NW_Pilot wrote:
Now this is Over Gross....

http://www.ferrypilotservice.com/overgross.jpg

Exposure suit?
How effective is that thing? I had to wear one of those damn Navy Poopy
suits flying a T38 out of NATC Pax River. If I had to go into the
Chesapeake Bay in December, I think the damn thing gave me an extra 5
minutes before I froze to death. Severely restricted stick travel as
well and took a half hour to get into! :-))

A full wetsuit would be a better bet.
Insulation and floatation built in

Old April 17th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

NW_Pilot wrote:

read this on a piper but very similer on a 172.

http://aircraftdelivery.net/ferrypil...nkedpermit.pdf

Fascinating!

"No person may be carried in this aicraft unless he/she is essential to
the flight and has been advised of the contents of this authorization
and of the airworthiness status of this aircraft."

I think pretty much anybody who's ever flown a C-172 on a warm summer
day, with more than one passenger, has pushed it near or over gross. I
turned down a commercial flight in February because the aircraft would
have been overgross on takeoff, just barely under by the time we got to
the target, and they wanted to do low-level performance-intensive flight
once we got there.

They called a local pilot out of Corvallis to do it, but he wouldn't
carry all three of 'em either.

-c
Old April 17th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 18, 6:47*am, gatt wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
Tell it to the insurance company or your passengers if you prang the
landing because, say, you've never carried passengers in the back of a
C-172 before and, say, you hit a windshear on final.

Are you saying you don't do a MAUW test flight in your training?

I don't see anything I've written anywhere above that suggests such a
thing.

So you do?

Cheers
Old April 17th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

gliderguynj wrote:
At this point in the thread I'd be very curious to find out the actual
Real World weight of everything....as opposed to the original posters
assumption's.

Have the buddies get on a scale, with clothes and shoes on, watches,
wallets keys, a full stomach a few cups of coffee each.... Do the same
for the luggage. Don't forget to add all the extra headsets,
camera's, water bottles.....

It might be a useful example for all reading. I'd almost guarantee
it's far heavier than the numbers being used. I can't tell you how
many times people show up at the field for a ride and they say they
weigh 200 and they easily have 30 or 40 lbs on me and I'm 200!!!

doug

I took a helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon last year and as we
signed up EACH person stood on a scale fully loaded (cameras, backpacks,
etc) and they captured your weight.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old April 17th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Tell it to the insurance company or your passengers if you prang the
landing because, say, you've never carried passengers in the back of a
C-172 before and, say, you hit a windshear on final.

The insurance company doesn't give a crap. Your not over gross by the
name you land anyway.

I take that to mean "by the time you land," but, that doesn't take into
consideration departure stalls, engine failure, obstacle clearance data
or all kinds of things we don't know about. You and I don't even know
in this case whether his aircraft is capable of establishing full power.

"The Safety Board determined that the probable cause of this accident
was : the pilot's improper planning/decision, and his failure to
maintain adequate airspeed during a climb over rising terrain, which
resulted in a stall and collision with terrain. Factors relating to the
accident we failure of the pilot to ensure the airplane was within
its weight and balance limitations, high density altitude, and the
rising/mountainous terrain."

In another report at the same site:
"Witnesses described the airplane’s climb rate and speed as slow, and
they observed the airplane enter a roll and descent that was consistent
with a stall. Density altitude at the airport was 6,670 feet. The
airplane’s gross weight was calculated to be 84 pounds over the maximum
limit at the time of the impact.

"The Safety Board determined the probable cause of the accident to be
the pilot-in command’s improper decision to take off ... when the
airplane was overweight and when the density altitude was higher than he
was accustomed to, resulting in a stall caused by failure to maintain
airspeed. http://www.ntsb.gov/Speeches/jh980428.htm

I don't know about you guys, but, I never want my name to be associated
with "The Safety Board determined that the probable cause" and/or
"failure of the pilot to ensure the airplane was within its weight and
balance limitations."

-c
CP-ASEL-IA
Old April 17th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
NW_Pilot wrote:
Now this is Over Gross....

http://www.ferrypilotservice.com/overgross.jpg

Exposure suit?
How effective is that thing? I had to wear one of those damn Navy Poopy
suits flying a T38 out of NATC Pax River. If I had to go into the
Chesapeake Bay in December, I think the damn thing gave me an extra 5
minutes before I froze to death. Severely restricted stick travel as well
and took a half hour to get into! :-))

--
Dudley Henriques

About 5 to 10 min in the North Atlantic enough to maybe get in the raft then
you have a half day or so.

Old April 17th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

NW_Pilot wrote:
Now this is Over Gross....

http://www.ferrypilotservice.com/overgross.jpg

Exposure suit?
How effective is that thing? I had to wear one of those damn Navy Poopy
suits flying a T38 out of NATC Pax River. If I had to go into the
Chesapeake Bay in December, I think the damn thing gave me an extra 5
minutes before I froze to death. Severely restricted stick travel as well
and took a half hour to get into! :-))

--
Dudley Henriques

About 5 to 10 min in the North Atlantic enough to maybe get in the raft then
you have a half day or so.

Interesting; about the same as the military suit. Looks well made, and
might be a tad more comfortable and easy to move about in :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 17th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

NW_Pilot wrote:
Now this is Over Gross....
http://www.ferrypilotservice.com/overgross.jpg

Exposure suit?
How effective is that thing? I had to wear one of those damn Navy Poopy
suits flying a T38 out of NATC Pax River. If I had to go into the
Chesapeake Bay in December, I think the damn thing gave me an extra 5
minutes before I froze to death. Severely restricted stick travel as
well and took a half hour to get into! :-))

A full wetsuit would be a better bet.
Insulation and floatation built in

Oh that poop suit is a full wet suit all right. I'm only glad I'll never
have to get into one again :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 17th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 18, 8:39*am, gatt wrote:

I think pretty much anybody who's ever flown a C-172 on a warm summer
day, with more than one passenger, has pushed it near or over gross. *

You people need to go on diets! The 172 should be a 3 seater with full
fuel (144l)...

Cheers
Old April 17th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

NW_Pilot wrote:
Now this is Over Gross....

http://www.ferrypilotservice.com/overgross.jpg

"IIII am NYLON Maaaan!"

Clearly, you're safe, though, because there's duct tape on the fuselage.
:

-c

My wife getting scared Paul Tomblin Piloting 271 October 11th 07 08:19 PM
Scared of mid-airs Frode Berg Piloting 355 August 20th 06 05:27 PM
UBL wants a truce - he's scared of the CIA UAV John Doe Aviation Marketplace 1 January 19th 06 08:58 PM
Max gross weight Chris Piloting 21 October 5th 04 08:22 PM
Scared and trigger-happy John Galt Military Aviation 5 January 31st 04 12:11 AM