Twenty minutes in the queue awaiting the new and improved FSS

Old May 1st 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Twenty minutes in the queue awaiting the new and improved FSS

On 5/1/2007 11:08:18 AM, Larry Dighera wrote:

Did you mention that in your complaints to:

http://www.afss.com/feedback/

Attempting to log into this link (which I have already created a user ID a
few months ago) resulted in this:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Cursor operation conflict
C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\WWW.AFSS.COM\MEMBER\../include/logon_form.inc, line 54

Nice...

--
Peter
Old May 1st 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 1 May 2007 15:04:50 -0400, "Peter R."
wrote in :

On 5/1/2007 11:08:18 AM, Larry Dighera wrote:

Did you mention that in your complaints to:

http://www.afss.com/feedback/

Attempting to log into this link (which I have already created a user ID a
few months ago) resulted in this:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Cursor operation conflict
C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\WWW.AFSS.COM\MEMBER\../include/logon_form.inc, line 54

Nice...

That's one way for LocMart to assert that there are no user
complaints.

I tried to find a link to contact the webmaster, but was unsuccessful,
however there are lots of folks to talk to he
http://www.afss.com/contact/?sa=esa
Old May 1st 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

wrote in :

On 5/1/2007 11:08:18 AM, Larry Dighera wrote:

Did you mention that in your complaints to:

http://www.afss.com/feedback/

Attempting to log into this link (which I have already created a user ID a
few months ago) resulted in this:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Cursor operation conflict
C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\WWW.AFSS.COM\MEMBER\../include/logon_form.inc, line 54

Nice...

I don't know if this information is out of date, but it might help:

1999 NEW YORK AIFSS’S PILOT’S SURVEY:
http://www.faa.gov/ats/afss/newyork/PICSurvey.htm

http://www.faa.gov/ats/afss/newyork/default.htm
New York Automated International Flight Service Station
FROM THE AIR TRAFFIC MANAGER
I look forward to receiving your input on our services, both positive
and negative. Please feel free to contact me at any time, either by
e-mail or by telephone at (516) 471-7181.
Ronald X. Ruggeri, Air Traffic Manager

Old May 2nd 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Peter R." wrote in message
Called Lockheed Martin FSS this AM for my flight briefing. Spent 20
minutes
in the "we are experiencing high call volume" queue waiting for a live
briefer to take my call.

When one finally did, he was servicing my upstate NY state flight from
Phoenix, Az. Nice enough briefer but so much for the local knowledge.

Wasn't there a promise by Lockheed Martin that wait times would be one
minute
or less? In the four years I have been commuting by aircraft the longest I
previously waited for a Buffalo FSS briefer was five minutes.

--
Peter

I waited 10 minutes for a briefer this afternoon and eventually spoke with
someone in Indiana (I'm in Atlanta). The amazing thing is that the weather
in the Southeast was great today, so 90% of pilot briefings should have been
short and simple - Great VFR, no TFR's, enjoy the ride. Logically, with a
day like today, you wouldn't think calls would need to be transferred
outside the region.

The guy I spoke with at the FSS indicated that calls from West of the
Mississippi are not supposed to be routed to FSS'es east of the Mississippi,
but every 3rd or 4th call he has been taking is from West of the
Mississippi, which really bogs things down here in the East.

If waits are going to be this long and longer, are there any other viable
options to A) Get a briefing and B) Have a record of the briefing? I can
satisfy "A" through the internet, but I'm not sure an online brief would
stand up very well in my defense if I busted a pop-up TFR or something,
especially since (presumably) there might not be a viable record of my
online brief.

KB

Old May 2nd 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
news

[...]

Why do you CALL for a briefing at all?

Old May 2nd 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Why do you CALL for a briefing at all?

I, for one, call because I can do it literally minutes before engine start.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 2nd 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 5/1/2007 10:06:23 PM, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:

If waits are going to be this long and longer, are there any other viable
options to A) Get a briefing and B) Have a record of the briefing? I can
satisfy "A" through the internet, but I'm not sure an online brief would
stand up very well in my defense if I busted a pop-up TFR or something,
especially since (presumably) there might not be a viable record of my
online brief.

DUATs.com or DUAT.com are the two other "official" flight briefing choices
that will record your session, from what I understand.

--
Peter
Old May 2nd 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

[...]

I don't know if it would hold up, but a detailed and time stamped print out
of the data should suffice (or maybe not).

WheaterWorx, Jeppesen and WSI have briefing services. Even better, they
have to establish a reputation for timeliness and accuracy that the FSS's
take for granted.

Remember: Ya' gets whats ya' pays for.

Old May 2nd 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Why do you CALL for a briefing at all?

I, for one, call because I can do it literally minutes before engine
start.

WiFi.

Old May 2nd 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 5/1/2007 10:06:23 PM, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:

If waits are going to be this long and longer, are there any other viable
options to A) Get a briefing and B) Have a record of the briefing? I can
satisfy "A" through the internet, but I'm not sure an online brief would
stand up very well in my defense if I busted a pop-up TFR or something,
especially since (presumably) there might not be a viable record of my
online brief.

DUATs.com or DUAT.com are the two other "official" flight briefing choices
that will record your session, from what I understand.

And "unnofficially" WeatherWorx, WSI and Jeppessen will too, and I believe
(??) thay will will assist you if a legal action results.
--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.

Twenty years! Bob Kuykendall Soaring 12 February 17th 06 05:45 PM
Twenty Four Hour Spad Missions W. D. Allen Sr. Naval Aviation 19 February 12th 05 04:22 AM
New and improved WX Brief Wizard of Draws Instrument Flight Rules 0 September 12th 04 01:50 AM
Awaiting Natalie's "interpretation of what he meant Tarver Engineering Instrument Flight Rules 12 February 7th 04 05:07 PM