ASW27B prices falling

Old August 16th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ASW27B prices falling

Since this thread has drifted to the relative merits of 15 vs. 18 meter
spans - I flew my LAK-17a in 15 meter configuration during the summer
months when I could fly with higher wing loading. I converted to 18
meters in the winter months for the lower sink rate. Since I don't care
about competition, that worked just fine for me.

On 8/15/2017 8:24 PM, Papa3 wrote:
I got my 15M tips after the fact, and I think everything (tips, trailer wingtip holders, installation) cost close to $10K. Was it worth it? It opens up 15M competitions and it also makes it more "sporting" to fly with all of my span-challenged friends. This year, I've got more flights in 15M than 18M.

P3

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 4:45:40 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:13:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
There will surely be 15m tips for the V3.
15M tips are a very expensive option. 15 years ago for a V2C, the 15M tips were upwards of $7000 USD. Certainly more now.

So, you pay out the nose to get the outstanding performance of an 18M glider, then you pay even more to be able to fly it in a lower performance configuration. Makes no sense.

I wonder what % of 15/18M ships are sold with the 15M tip options.

In 2015 15 meter tips for an ASG-29 were about 7,500 Euro. It makes plenty of sense if it fits your flying. If you want to compete in both 15 and 18 meter contests, resale value, all your friends have 15 meter gliders and you like to fly with them.... etc. Two gliders for almost the price of one. I do know several 29E owners who did not get the 15 meter tips and I even know one pilot with a 29 who did not order the 18 meter tips. What makes no sense to you might make plenty of sense to someone else.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 16th 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My impression (no idea how accurate it is) was that the move to 18M had less to do with a modest performance increase and more to do with what was considered to be a more viable platform for motors, in particular self launch. Having seen Francois Pin's really impressive ASW 27 FES conversion self launch at Cordele this year, I'm wondering how strong the 18M movement would have been if FES technology had been available when that class was launched. Perhaps the factories would have gotten behind 18M anyway just to sell more new gliders.

Chip Bearden
Old August 18th 17, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I have a 27 and cannot afford to upgrade to a 29 with engine which I would
have liked to do for the stronger competition scene.

I believe that there are jet retrofit options coming from PSR and M&D which
seems like a good solution for my increasing years. I am told the PSR works
out about $30k euro / dollars fitted.

Because of the weakness of the pound at the moment my refinished 27 is
probably worth about £55K so the package would owe me £80k which is at
least £40k less than the 29!

BTW I love my 27 having flown 2000 hours in it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
FS ASW27B HL Falbaum Soaring 3 December 20th 06 10:51 PM
ASW27B Ray Gimmey Soaring 1 November 4th 06 02:41 AM
Gas prices falling... Jay Honeck Piloting 41 August 27th 06 10:16 AM
The sky is falling! Jim Home Built 10 April 30th 04 04:40 AM
ASW27B polar Chip Fitzpatrick Soaring 2 March 1st 04 12:48 PM