Extreme Runways

Old October 22nd 03, 02:32 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Les Gawlik" wrote:

Yes, I think this is the one where you come in over a road in one direction.
There was a great picture of a plane landing, with vehicles on the road.
The link to the picture was posted here a while ago. It was just amazing.

"JohnMcGrew" wrote in message
In article ,
(Scott Lowrey) writes:

Anybody have experience with truly bizarre runways (not including
carriers)?

St Barts, in the Carribean. The approach has you aiming about 50 feet agl
through a "saddle". (hills on both sides of you as you decend) After

crossing
to the other side, you dive to where you pick up the approach end of the
runway, with about 5%+ downslope. The usable part of the runway is less

than
2500 feet. Kill the lift asap, and hit the brakes. (The ****ters I

watched
there have the props in flat-pitch even before the wheels are on the

ground)
Departure is almost as interesting; taxi to the uphill side, and zip on

down
the hill. At the other end of the runway is a beach. After you're over

water,
you immediately turn left while climbing to avoid the raising terrain on

the
other side of the cove. As a reminder of the cost of failure here,

there's a
pile of about a half-dozen wrecks litterally stacked one on top of the

other.
(as usuable space is limited)

I've visited St Barts (although I did not fly in) and can verify the
above. The approach is just ovet a prime intersection for the island,
with the planes 30 feet overhead.

I think that it would be especially dicey with a crosswind, as the
runway sits in a box canyon.
Old October 22nd 03, 02:39 AM
Doug

Mile High in the Wilderness area of Idaho has to be one of the most
spectacular looking airstrips I have ever seen, although it is not as
impossible to land on as it appears. I looked on the web and couldn't
find a photo of it, although there are two good ones in the Fly Idaho
book.
Old October 22nd 03, 02:54 AM
Morgans

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

(Scott Lowrey) writes:

[...]

The ultimate for tricky approaches, at least for the big iron, might be
Quito Ecuador. In a curved canyon, high steep sides, around 11,000 feet
elevation, and RIGHT in the middle of a city of 2 million. I heard you have
to serve as 1st officer for 1 year, flying in and out regularly, before they
will let you captain there. (at least for 1 Latin major)
--
Jim in NC

Old October 23rd 03, 02:43 PM
JohnMcGrew

In article
, Orval
Fairbairn writes:

I think that it would be especially dicey with a crosswind, as the
runway sits in a box canyon.

The wind there is pretty constant, and except during extreme weather. The wind
is usually funnelled up the saddle.

John
Old October 23rd 03, 02:43 PM
JohnMcGrew

In article , "Les Gawlik"
writes:

Yes, I think this is the one where you come in over a road in one direction.
There was a great picture of a plane landing, with vehicles on the road.
The link to the picture was posted here a while ago. It was just amazing.

Yes, I took one like that. What I missed out on was on a picture of me
standing in the middle of the saddle with my arms reached up appearing to touch
the gear of the approaching planes. It's rather a thrill standing there
watching the planes dive at you, and then pass over your head at less than 30
feet! You feel like you could jump up and spin their wheels.

John
Old October 23rd 03, 08:23 PM
Randy Wentzel

For those of you who can't quite picture St. Bart's approach in your head (I
couldn't), here are some photos I found on the net. The site had a bunch of
pop-ups, so I put them in my web dir:

http://www.sonic.net/randyw/pics/st_bart/st_barts.jpg

http://www.sonic.net/randyw/pics/st_bart/st_barts2.jpg

Wow!

--
Randy

Old October 25th 03, 01:11 AM
Dan Thomas

randall g wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:08:08 GMT, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Landed on an uphill strip up near Kamloops, BC. Had to turn 90 degrees when
slow enough because if I hadn't, I would have rolled back down the hill.
Took off downhill, of course. I would guess the slope was ten degrees, but I
have no data to confirm it.

Bob Gardner

Do you remember exactly where this is? I am not aware of any such public
strip here in BC.

Anglemont, on Shuswap Lake, East of Kamloops. Since closed. Owners
got nervous about liability, I believe.

Dan (former resident)
Old October 25th 03, 02:57 PM
Wolfgang K.

http://www.afpm.org/Faucon-atterrissage.mpg

be patient, about 13 MB, but landing on a steep sloping hill, great mpg.
field: faucon/provence/france

wolfgang, loww, vie, vienna, austria