Temporarily operating a German registered glider in the US

Old August 15th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Temporarily operating a German registered glider in the US

Not to inject any logic into the discussion, but when buying a new
trailer from Germany, why doesn't the buyer simply specify the wiring
and connector that he plans to use? You'd think that, for the price
being paid for the trailer, it would make little difference in the
overall cost. Heck, Spindelberger might even do it for free.

On 8/15/2017 7:04 AM, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 02:55 15 August 2017, wrote:
2017 and looking to do the same, (Temp import of a G reg glider)
From what I can see, almost zero hassle (bar trailer wiring and having

drive on the wrong side of the road :-) )
Possibly moving to Louisiana but will almost certainly be flying out of
Houston.

Just posted this to resurrect the thread.

I have imported a number of gliders from Europe and dislike having to
wring out the trailer wiring on the docks upon pick-up - as the weather
is invariably bad, and I don't want to spend the whole day there doing
that. I made up a pig-tail adapter which goes from the USA vehicle
"flat 4" connection to the old standard Euro 7 pin connector. In the
middle of the pig-tail I have one of these converters that make the
brake and signal lights function properly on a 4 wire system:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C56196.html
With this pig-tail, one can just hook up the trailer on the dock and drive

it away. This kind of set-up should work for you, especially if you
intend to take the glider back home and not sell it in the USA. You
won't have to do anything to the trailer wiring itself.
Good luck..
RO

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 15th 17, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 16:12 15 August 2017, Dan Marotta wrote:
Not to inject any logic into the discussion, but when buying a new
trailer from Germany, why doesn't the buyer simply specify the wiring
and connector that he plans to use? You'd think that, for the price
being paid for the trailer, it would make little difference in the
overall cost. Heck, Spindelberger might even do it for free.

Used trailers come as they are. If you buy a new glider with trailer,
the trailer gets pulled to the glider manufacturer by a European car.
Once the new glider is loaded into the trailer, it is pulled by another
European car to the port for delivery. One needs the European wiring
to work in Europe until it gets to the port. I suppose that they could
put USA wiring into the trailer at the factory and then put the trailer on

a truck to get it to the glider factory, and then truck the glider -in -
trailer to the port, but that is a LOT more expensive than just making
up a pig-tail here. Besides, my pig-tail works for any of the 7 pin
connectors. I have probably used that thing on 10 different glider
trailers I have picked up at the dock. The reverse also worked for me
when I shipped my glider overseas for a WGC, as the trailer was
already (still) wired for their cars. That is where the logic is. The
rest
of the world doesn't conform to USA standards.... If you have $$ to
burn, yes go ahead and have the USA wiring installed at the factory,
and then pay out the nose for getting it all the way to the port...
RO

Old August 15th 17, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....Or the factory could use a pigtail that would work on a European car
and I was only referring to new trailers.

Of course all of your points are valid.

Old August 15th 17, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 9:45:08 AM UTC-7, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 16:12 15 August 2017, Dan Marotta wrote:
Not to inject any logic into the discussion...

RO

Wonder if Marc shipped his glider "S2" three years ago?
Jim
Old August 15th 17, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Oh please, don't state the obvious, won't fit into RAS..........

:-)

/sarcasm.......
Old August 15th 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 12:13:57 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
...Or the factory could use a pigtail that would work on a European car
and I was only referring to new trailers.

Of course all of your points are valid.

Dan, 5J

Well, it is much simpler to adapt our wiring to their light system, then our light system to their wiring. Agree with Mike. Make an adapter to go from your car to the wiring the factory installs. Works great.

As to why it is maybe not wise to ask them to put a US wiring system and plug in? Look at this production list and see how many come to the US.

http://www.rcawsey.co.uk/asg29.htm

You are going to be hard pressed to drive separate turn and brake lights with a 4 wire connector going into the trailer. Unless you use the hitch connection as your ground. Really, really bad idea.

Look at the manual for the trailer, go to your favorite trailer supply house, and buy the parts you need to make an adapter. Or, wire your car so all the lights work like Alfred intended them to! :-) But if you do this, also make the inverse adapter so your car can hook up electrically to a trailer with a flat 4 connector.

Steve Leonard

Old August 16th 17, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Most cars, excepting some made in North America exclusively for the dumbed

down North American market, have separate wiring for amber turn and red
brake lights.

The adapter box on the trailer harness for my Subaru combined the brake and

turn wires into a single wire for each side (3 into 2). It got
unceremoniously
chopped off after it gave up the ghost.

Hint: Unplug the harness before cutting to save on fuses.

Newer Cobra trailers have a terminal strip at the back where North
Americans
have an unfortunate habit of mucking things up.

So yes, make up an adapter between the plugs.

Some day I will add diodes to mine.

Old August 16th 17, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 4:45:13 PM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Most cars, excepting some made in North America exclusively for the dumbed

down North American market, have separate wiring for amber turn and red
brake lights.

The adapter box on the trailer harness for my Subaru combined the brake and

turn wires into a single wire for each side (3 into 2). It got
unceremoniously
chopped off after it gave up the ghost.

Hint: Unplug the harness before cutting to save on fuses.

Newer Cobra trailers have a terminal strip at the back where North
Americans
have an unfortunate habit of mucking things up.

So yes, make up an adapter between the plugs.

Some day I will add diodes to mine.

Registration issues should be answered by your local FSDO, not self-appointed "experts." In your area it is the Teterboro FSDO ((201) 556-6600).

Tom
Old August 16th 17, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 8/15/2017 8:33 PM, 2G wrote:
Registration issues should be answered by your local FSDO, not self-appointed "experts." In your area it is the Teterboro FSDO ((201) 556-6600).

Tom

Back to the subject at hand:

Yes.14 CFR 61.3(b)
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp&r=PART&n=14y2.0.1.1.2#se14.2.61_13 covers
this:

(b)/Required pilot certificate for operating a foreign-registered
aircraft within the United States/. No person may serve as a
required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of foreign
registry within the United States, unless—

(1) That person's pilot certificate or document issued under
§61.29(e) is in that person's physical possession or readily
accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that
pilot certificate; and

(2)*Has been issued in accordance with this part*, or has been
issued or validated by the country in which the aircraft is registered.

I flew my Stemme under Mexican registration from Laredo, TX to Payson,
AZ after checking with my FSDO.
--
Dan, 5J