Cobra hydraulic bottle jacks - where to buy?

Old December 1st 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra hydraulic bottle jacks - where to buy?

I am looking for a source for a replacement bottle jack for a cobra
trailer ramp (yes, I know I should switch to the mechanical jack and
all problems will go away, but I don't want to go down that route
yet). The Torin 2-ton jack that Walmart and Autozone sell is extremely
poorly built, in addition to the dimensions not being quite right.
Somebody must have gone through this before and found a decent source?
Old December 2nd 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 1, 3:36*pm, wrote:
I am looking for a source for a replacement bottle jack for a cobra
trailer ramp (yes, I know I should switch to the mechanical jack and
all problems will go away, but I don't want to go down that route
yet). The Torin 2-ton jack that Walmart and Autozone sell is extremely
poorly built, in addition to the dimensions not being quite right.
Somebody must have gone through this before and found a decent source?

Williams Soaring usually have the standard Cobra crappy hydraulic pump
in stock. It was around $80 or so when I replaced mine a year ago.
They don't list it on their website currently but give them a call.

Folklore says to drain and replace the hydraulic fluid after a few
months in an attempt to flush out some of the metal shavings/filing
etc. you'll find in the oil. Unfortunately the crappy hydraulic jack
that Spindelberger use lets down their otherwise great (and well
deserved IMHO) reputation.

Darryl

Old December 2nd 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Dec 1, 3:36*pm, wrote:
I am looking for a source for a replacement bottle jack for a cobra
trailer ramp (yes, I know I should switch to the mechanical jack and
all problems will go away, but I don't want to go down that route
yet). The Torin 2-ton jack that Walmart and Autozone sell is extremely
poorly built, in addition to the dimensions not being quite right.
Somebody must have gone through this before and found a decent source?

Instead of the bottle or the scissor of course there's the much
simpler Wynoff lever deal. A small female in his club (their beta
tester) had no problem cycling the ship up and down with this clever
device...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP2AD8rtdpA (may not work well for
self rigging without adding height adjustment...)

-Paul
Old December 2nd 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP2AD8rtdpA (may not work well for
self rigging without adding height adjustment...)

Nor on soft ground (easy design change). Neat idea.

Tony V.
Old December 2nd 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Dec 1, 7:54*pm, sisu1a wrote:
On Dec 1, 3:36*pm, wrote:

I am looking for a source for a replacement bottle jack for a cobra
trailer ramp (yes, I know I should switch to the mechanical jack and
all problems will go away, but I don't want to go down that route
yet). The Torin 2-ton jack that Walmart and Autozone sell is extremely
poorly built, in addition to the dimensions not being quite right.
Somebody must have gone through this before and found a decent source?

Instead of the bottle or the scissor of course there's the much
simpler Wynoff lever deal. A small female in his club (their beta
tester) had no problem cycling the ship up and down with this clever
device...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP2AD8rtdpA*(may not work well for
self rigging without adding height adjustment...)

-Paul

Thanks for posting the video. I am sketching up the same mod for my
Komet trailer.

I'm thinking of adding a couple of helper air springs so a much
shorter lever could be used. I happen to have a pair of 100 pounds
force units with about a 6" throw left over from another project. I
think the lever could then be short enough to go under the wing
leading edge. (Slipping and letting the lever whack the wing leading
edge sorta worries me.)

My one-man rig lets me get the wing tips within about 1/8" of perfect
using lasers so no fiddling with the ramp jack is ever needed to
insert the main pin.

Bill
Old December 2nd 08, 07:40 AM
weersch weersch is offline
Junior Member

I replaced mine just 2 weeks ago.
First emailed Spindelberger directly for info an quote.
Replacement bottle was available for 60 Euro plus shipping.
Then I called Noelle at Williams Soaring Center.
She had it in stock. I paid US$85.65 plus a few $ shipping plus CA sales tax.
This was the exact replacement including lever and valve handle.
Replacement was a 15 minute job, including the cleaning of the oil spill from the old leaking jack.
Hans Van Weersch
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Old December 2nd 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

I ordered a spare hydraulic jack for my '05 Cobra, probably in '07. Cobra
changed the design, so the new jack won't fit without modification. Be sure
the jack you are ordering is correct.

I've posted before about the poor machining that Darryl mentioned. I
overhauled my jack within a year and a probably no more than 30 cycles of
new. Fluid was gray with metallic particles. Until Cobra sees the light on
this, I suggest draining the oil after the first season to try and avoid
jack failure.

bumper

--
weersch

Old December 2nd 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo Rumpf[_2_]

Not long ago I finished building a Hydraulic Scissor Jack.
I used a 2 ton mini automotive jack (the one with 2 small casters and 2
fix wheels) worth about $24.00.
I removed the hydraulic unit for use with my set-up. Based on that I
would say the dimension are the same as the one on the Cobra unit. Right
now I have my trailer in storage and I can not
take measurements. I would buy a jack, try it out and if the dimension do
not work out for you take it back.
Udo

Old December 2nd 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

I did exactly that a few years ago. All dimensions were the same except the
bushing in the ram was a different size. I didn't have a lathe at the time,
so I took it back and bit the bullet for a new Cobra. Now I could do the job
in about 15 min including set-up. But still crappy quality.

Bumper said he could get the jack apart with a pipe wrench on the large hex
near the top of the reservoir. I tried with an extension on my pipe wrench
handle but nearly tore the vise off the bench, The nut didn't budge!

I'll just drain my new one, and refill.

Hartley Falbaum

Old December 2nd 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 2, 10:45*am, Udo Rumpf wrote:
...I used a 2 ton mini automotive jack (the one with 2 small casters and 2
fix wheels) worth about $24.00...

For reference, here in the US we call that a "floor jack," perhaps
since it only works on a smooth floor.

Thanks, Bob K.