"Out of fuel, out of hope: 'Help, I'm in the water'"

Old April 28th 05, 02:36 PM

Default "Out of fuel, out of hope: 'Help, I'm in the water'"

Out of fuel, out of hope: 'Help, I'm in the water'
A 20-year-old from Springfield who had hoped to swim in the Olympics
was flying a single-engine plane to his college in Wisconsin late
Monday night when he ran out of fuel over Lake Michigan.
at http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20050...5912-7691r.htm

Old April 28th 05, 03:03 PM
Ben Smith

Here's a couple more links.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/apr05/321506.asp

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/m...?packageid=774

Old April 28th 05, 03:09 PM
Ben Smith

Here's a couple more links.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/apr05/321506.asp

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/m...?packageid=774

Shoot, accidentally hit send before I could comment on the links..

The first one is an article, which might require registration. The second
is link doesn't require registration, and has the audio of the 911 call.
Seriously bone chilling..

Also on the second link is the WTMJ news segment, where Wisconsin Aviation's
president Jeff Baum makes a good point of what this young man did wrong.

Old April 28th 05, 03:20 PM
Peter R.

Ben wrote:

Also on the second link is the WTMJ news segment, where Wisconsin

Aviation's
president Jeff Baum makes a good point of what this young man did

wrong.

Yet another high-visibility, totally preventable GA accident.

Ben, would you mind paraphrasing what Mr. Baum said (although I can
certainly guess)? I have been trying to avoid installing RealPlayer
software.

--
Peter

Old April 28th 05, 03:49 PM
Jay Honeck

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/m...?packageid=774

Good God. He couldn't have lasted long -- the water temperature is too
cold.

What an awful, horrible, heart-breaking audio.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 05, 04:00 PM
Matt Barrow

"Ben Smith" wrote in message
Here's a couple more links.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/apr05/321506.asp

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/m...?packageid=774

Accidents are always a series of mistakes/bad-judgments.

Here's just a few:
1) Poor fuel planning and continuing on with low fuel from Michigan side.
2) Water crossing
3) No floatation devices
4) Night

Sad!!

Old April 28th 05, 04:25 PM
Ben Smith

Ben, would you mind paraphrasing what Mr. Baum said (although I can
certainly guess)? I have been trying to avoid installing RealPlayer
software.

Yeah, I can't stand RealPlayer either.

I encoded the audio only to MP3, they about 500k bytes each.

The Newscast:
http://tinyurl.com/8dxcf

The 911 Call:
http://tinyurl.com/b8roa

Old April 28th 05, 04:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Accidents are always a series of mistakes/bad-judgments.

Here's just a few:
1) Poor fuel planning and continuing on with low fuel from Michigan side.
2) Water crossing
3) No floatation devices
4) Night

Sad!!

I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but the series of
mistakes/bad-judgments in this situation drive it into the stupid range.

Old April 28th 05, 04:31 PM
Marco Leon

Man, was that chilling to listen to. Here's audio of the ATC starting at
04:45 - http://www.liveatc.net/.archive/kmke...26-05-0030.mp3.
There was a very helpful Midex 812 pilot that tried to help and was relaying
information including the lat/long. Unfortunately, with no flotation device
and the cold water, the downed pilot's chances were slim. A stark reminder
to buy those flotation devices!

Marco Leon

Old April 28th 05, 04:58 PM
Peter R.

Ben wrote:

I encoded the audio only to MP3, they about 500k bytes each.

Thank you, Ben. That was very considerate of you.

I was able to listen to both audio clips.

--
Peter