Japan to alow basing a Nuk carrier there.

Old October 28th 05, 01:51 AM
Diamond Jim

Default Japan to alow basing a Nuk carrier there.

On CNN I just saw where an agreement has been reached between the US an
Japan that will allow basing of a Nuke carrier there.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

As we are running out of conventional powered carriers, this means we will
still be able to have a carrier based there in the future. I wonder how long
before they will allow subs, and other nuke powered ships to be based there
as well?

Old October 28th 05, 11:31 AM
Thomas Schoene

Diamond Jim wrote:
On CNN I just saw where an agreement has been reached between the US
an Japan that will allow basing of a Nuke carrier there.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

As we are running out of conventional powered carriers, this means we
will still be able to have a carrier based there in the future. I
wonder how long before they will allow subs, and other nuke powered
ships to be based there as well?

There are no "other nuke-powered ships" in the USN, just the carriers and
submarines.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old October 28th 05, 04:47 PM
Diamond Jim

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
Diamond Jim wrote:
On CNN I just saw where an agreement has been reached between the US
an Japan that will allow basing of a Nuke carrier there.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

As we are running out of conventional powered carriers, this means we
will still be able to have a carrier based there in the future. I
wonder how long before they will allow subs, and other nuke powered
ships to be based there as well?

There are no "other nuke-powered ships" in the USN, just the carriers and
submarines.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Well, it's not my fault that the Long Beach, Truxtun, and Bainbridge were
decommissioned. You will have to blame someone else!

Old October 28th 05, 07:43 PM
Yeff

Diamond Jim wrote:
On CNN I just saw where an agreement has been reached between the US
an Japan that will allow basing of a Nuke carrier there.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

As we are running out of conventional powered carriers, this means we
will still be able to have a carrier based there in the future. I
wonder how long before they will allow subs, and other nuke powered
ships to be based there as well?

There are no "other nuke-powered ships" in the USN, just the carriers and
submarines.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Well, it's not my fault that the Long Beach, Truxtun, and Bainbridge were
decommissioned. You will have to blame someone else!

Wasn't there a big stink in Japan once when B-52s from Guam safe-haven'd
('phoon evaced) at Kadena on Okinawa? This would've been the late 70s or
early 80s..
--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm
Old October 28th 05, 11:11 PM
Michael Fenyes

Diamond Jim wrote:
On CNN I just saw where an agreement has been reached between the US
an Japan that will allow basing of a Nuke carrier there.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

As we are running out of conventional powered carriers, this means we
will still be able to have a carrier based there in the future. I
wonder how long before they will allow subs, and other nuke powered
ships to be based there as well?

There are no "other nuke-powered ships" in the USN, just the carriers and
submarines.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Well, it's not my fault that the Long Beach, Truxtun, and Bainbridge were
decommissioned. You will have to blame someone else!

All California Class cruisers (both of them) were nukes as well.

Old October 29th 05, 01:52 AM
Tex Houston

"Yeff" wrote in message
Wasn't there a big stink in Japan once when B-52s from Guam safe-haven'd
('phoon evaced) at Kadena on Okinawa? This would've been the late 70s or
early 80s..
--

-Jeff B.

First time I know of was July 1965.

Tex Houston

Old October 29th 05, 08:19 PM
Diamond Jim

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"Yeff" wrote in message
Wasn't there a big stink in Japan once when B-52s from Guam safe-haven'd
('phoon evaced) at Kadena on Okinawa? This would've been the late 70s

or
early 80s..
--

-Jeff B.

First time I know of was July 1965.

Tex Houston

I don't know about July 1965 but they definitely stopped by in Nov of 65. I
had to go through survival school at NTA! Again! I always got caught up in
those quota filling deals, I guess someone wanted to make sure I was one
finely tuned and trained warrior. BTW the rain was warmer at survival school
in the Philippines

I know when they took off and passed over NTA it looked like there were
still struggling to get up to 1000 feet. They were so low I kept expecting
them to blow over the shelter I was trying to make with my parachute. It
would be two or three B-52's then a KC-135 trying to catch up, to be
repeated about every ten minutes until you couldn't stand it anymore.

I don't remember anyone protesting them being there. But then again about
the only thing we were ever told was what a bunch of dumb asses we were,
that we needed to pay attention, or we wouldn't make it when we went back
south and got shot down.

Old October 29th 05, 08:27 PM
Diamond Jim

"Michael Fenyes" wrote in message
oups.com...

Diamond Jim wrote:
[...]

You can't blame that on me either! And I didn't approve of getting rid of
the Virginia class at all.

Old October 30th 05, 01:00 AM
Yeff

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:52:29 -0600, Tex Houston wrote:

"Yeff" wrote in message
Wasn't there a big stink in Japan once when B-52s from Guam safe-haven'd
('phoon evaced) at Kadena on Okinawa? This would've been the late 70s or
early 80s..
--

-Jeff B.

First time I know of was July 1965.

Then the incident I'm thinking of was probably the early 80s. The
communist in the country were acting up and promoting more anti-American
events than ever before. World-wide the anti-nuke movement was big so I
can see many Japanese people getting outraged at the B-52s around then.

--

-Jeff B. (who spent 19 months at Misawa)
zoomie at fastmail dot fm