MSL vs. AGL (Again)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 15th 11, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary[_5_]

Default MSL vs. AGL (Again)

On Jul 14, 10:20*pm, N11rdbird wrote:
The MSL/AGL issue has come before the Caesar Creek Soaring Club Board
once again. Not only has the Club been thrown into turmoil again, this
time it has specifically affected our instructors and how to most
effectively teach our students. I am curious if there are other Clubs
or organizations that teach using AGL.
Rolf Hegele
Member of the Board

Rolf, I was blown away yesterday when I read the newsletter.....Allow
me just a short rant.

To me it's a matter of "Back in my day" mentality...what was "good
enough when I learned to fly." Well as somebody who joined the club
the first time in 1974, I couldn't disagree with the decision more.
The group that pushed that are wrestling with the change in flying
style and purpose that is taking place in the club. They are kicking
and screaming about letting go of the 1-26, 2-33 way of thermal
sitting above the field. We are now more of a cross-country, race
oriented club. OLC over badges, just look each month in Soaring Mag
and you will rarely see any badge work being reported or done by our
club. Most of us now have finished our early quests. My 1980 500k
flight was the first flown by a club member of CCSC (although not
flown at the field) after the switch from SSD. Now they happen quite
often from the field, At that time very few of us flew from other
fields. Now, quite often.
We, as you know, have 2 groups in the club. One has never grasped that
gliding and soaring are two different sports or see no reason to break
those strings and accept what that means in to items of concern
such as MSL. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that if
that' what you want from the sport. They will never use gps, fly
contests, explore other sites or push their personal skills..........

Further....how fricking hard is it to do some quick mental math from
our field? Our field elevation is 940'msl (hmmmm, for ****s and
giggles let's round it to 1000' giving us a margin of safety of
60'.........grown people operating an aircraft that requires skill and
knowledge and you can't re-adjust your brain for a little problem like
this? How the heck do you pass your flight review every other year???

My fiance just started taking lessons at the field this week. I'm damn
sure she'll learn msl vs agl. After all she swears at some point she's
going to fly my ASW-20!

Rolf, this fight isn't over.
Gary Adams GA2
CCSC member