Looking for Gliding Clubs

Old December 13th 03, 04:50 PM
Steve Hopkins

Default Looking for Gliding Clubs

I have seen the SSA listings of Gliding clubs in the
USA but I would be interested in hearing the opinions
of those who fly at these sites. I'm looking for a
site which is relatively free of Controlled Airspace,
with good cross country prospects and all year round
soaring, possibly with a mix of summer thermals and
winter wave.
Anyone who would like to write with their recommendations
and pictures might like to email me direct at
eserve.co.uk
Many thanks.
Steve

Old December 13th 03, 05:19 PM
Burt Compton

Consider Marfa, west Texas. Site of the 1970 World Soaring Contest and where
"The Sun Ship Game" soaring movie was filmed. 150 miles southeast of El Paso
(ELP). Major airlines also serve Midland, TX (MAF).

"Marfa Gliders" offers year round soaring instruction and aerotows to private
gliders.
Operated by Burt Compton, Master CFIG.

See our website at wwwFLYGLIDERS.com

Visit the mountains of Texas - we are between Carlsbad CAverns and Big Bend
National Parks. Enjoy mild summers and winters at our 5,000' MSL airport
elevation (MRF).
We'll show you a good time!
Burt & Kathie Compton 1-800-667-9464
Old December 15th 03, 04:49 PM
Tony Verhulst

Steve Hopkins wrote:
..... I'm looking for a
site which is relatively free of Controlled Airspace,

nitpick flight instructor mode
I assume that you mean free of airspace where you need to talk to
controllers. Only class G airspace is uncontrolled.
/nitpick flight instructor mode

Tony V

Old December 16th 03, 03:17 AM
Mhudson126

Steve,
Please conceder Moriarty, New Mexico as a great spot to come fly. Wave
flights all winter and great thermals all summer. I put 7 hours on the Discus
this weekend without a problem in great wave that went to 24,000MSL. We have
two wave windows, which can be activated to go up in. Sundance Aviation out
here offers tows seven days a week for $30 to 2,000 feet as well as a Grob 103,
Grob 102, and a Scheiba for rent.
During the summer time, the thermals regularly go well above 18,000 feet and
there is great flatland flying to the south and beautiful mountain flying to
the north, your choice! The Texas Soaring Association pilots all come here when
they get bored and frustrated during the winter!
Other local activities include world-class snow skiing two hours away during
the winter, Albuquerque just 30 miles away and historic Santa Fe, New Mexico
one hour's drive away. I would be willing to rent out a room in my house for
U.S. $200 a month if you would like to stay for a while. (15 min. from
airport)
Moriarty is truly a great location to come fly! If you have any questions,
please contact me via the E-Mail address above.
-Mitch Hudson