Be careful with SPOT coordinates!!!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 13th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Be careful with SPOT coordinates!!!

Last Saturday when I landed out about 65 miles SE of Moriarty, I did
not have cell phone coverage. I turned on the SPOT and pushed the
help button. The location was sent as advertised to Nancy's cell
phone. Nancy and I always use coordinates in degrees, minutes, and
decimal minutes. We had never used the SPOT for an actual retrieve.
While we knew that the SPOT used degrees and decimal degrees, being
senior citizens we had forgot that fact over the winter. Fortunantly,
when I walked to the main highway, two ladies stopped who had cell
phone coverage. I was able call Nancy and give coordinates in the
format she expected. We have had a couple of bad experiences with
incorrect corridinates. It is probably a good idea to give some old
fashioned directions so that the crew can verify that the coordinates
make sense.

Bill Snead
6W

Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
Be very careful...... Don Pyeatt Aviation Photos 4 June 15th 07 12:47 PM
BE CAREFUL!!! jsmith Piloting 9 January 25th 05 05:13 PM
Another crash - Be careful out there James Soaring 14 June 9th 04 07:50 PM
be careful if you fly in Colombia Gary L. Drescher Piloting 1 August 20th 03 02:16 AM