Guess Who's Planning to Shine Lasers on Pilots

Old February 21st 05, 04:47 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:z_9Sd.33326$tl3.26137@attbi_s02...
[...] I think there is a legitimate point at which an employer has to
start questioning the mental stability and ability of the person in
question.

We have appropriate legal channels for determining "mental stability". It
isn't up to the employer to make that decision, and should an employer fire
someone based on an illegal determination of a psychological disorder, they
would be open for a lawsuit for unlawful termination.

Related to that are all the accusations here that Churchill is mentally ill.
No one here is competent to make that determination, both due to lack of
sufficient information as well as lack of sufficient expertise.

Going around pretending to be an American Indian -- when you're not -- and
calling 9/11 victims little Adolf Eichmanns seems to cross the line from
academic freedom to mental illness -- although I admit that line is very
tenuous.

Lots of people pretend to be things that they are not. It's called fraud.
It's not an indication of mental illness. That's assuming the allegations
on that topic are true...I haven't seen any proof that they are, and I don't
know enough of the facts one way or the other to comment on whether they
are.

As far as "calling 9/11 victims little Adolf Eichmanns" goes, I don't know
if you've bothered to read Churchill's comments regarding that, but I have
and I feel that he has indeed been quoted out of context, and seriously
misunderstood. Perhaps purposefully...it's not uncommon for enemies of
someone to do anything they can to discredit that person, even to the extent
of severely mischaracterizing what they've said.

Nevertheless, even if the general public's misconception of what his
comments meant was accurate, his comments are only an indication of mental
illness if you believe that ANYONE who disagrees with you is by definition
mentally ill. A perfectly rational person can take the exact same
situation, and come to a completely different evaluation that you do, in
spite of not being mentally ill. It happens here all the time (I don't
think I need to remind you of just how wrong I think pretty much ALL of your
political beliefs are...but I don't consider that a sign of mental illness
on your part).

More importantly, I think that there's some truth to the general gist of
Churchill's comments. His point was that we are ALL complicit in the origin
of terrorism. Terrorists didn't just appear out of nowhere. As awful as
their tactics are, their motivations are related to our demonstrably unfair
and in some cases highly disruptive meddling in Middle Eastern affairs.
Inasmuch as we as Americans continue to tolerate our government's
paternalistic and selfish behavior in the Middle East, we are just as guilty
as our government itself.

The victims in the WTC towers could be thought of as particularly complicit,
in that many of the people who worked there were indeed "movers and shakers"
in the American economy and political arena. They facilitated the American
activities in the Middle East to a much greater extent than probably most
other Americans, simply due to their proximity to the hub of the American
economy.

Do NOT construe any of my comments as condonement of the terrorist
activities. That's not what I'm saying. But to pretend that the terrorists
are just randomly choosing to attack Americans is ridiculous. They targeted
us for a reason, and frankly continuing a policy of aggression rather than
reconciliation is just making terrorism worse.

There. I got sucked in and said my fill. Probably more than I should have.
No doubt people here will jump all over my statements and call me mentally
ill or (worse?) a traitor. Whatever. It would just prove my point.

Pete

Old February 21st 05, 05:43 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

More importantly, I think that there's some truth to the general gist of
Churchill's comments. His point was that we are ALL complicit in the origin
of terrorism.

Then he is an idiot.

By the same "logic" victims of rape are complicit in the origin of rape.

QED

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old February 21st 05, 06:12 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:38:56 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote in
::

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .
[...]
I think our great nation, founded on liberty and freedom, is secure
enough to tolerate opposing views without committing unconstitutional,
totalitarian acts in the name of patriotism. It's the Salem witch
hunt mentality all over again. Is that what we want for the 21st
century?

I've avoided this thread, as I try to avoid all threads so far off topic.

I'm sorry, but it just happened (like McNicoll knew it would).

However, I've been impressed with your tenacity, and am compelled to at
least contribute a heart-felt "Well said!" to this post, as well as all your
other responses.

Coming from an astute fellow like yourself, that is quite a complement
indeed. Thank you.

I think you're spitting in the wind and I doubt most of your audience is
getting what you're saying,

Oh well....

but I agree 100% with all you've written
regarding "the Churchill Incident" here.

Pete

100%?! Now I'm truly flattered.

Old February 21st 05, 07:27 AM
Peter Duniho

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
More importantly, I think that there's some truth to the general gist of
Churchill's comments. His point was that we are ALL complicit in the
origin
of terrorism.

Then he is an idiot.

By the same "logic" victims of rape are complicit in the origin of rape.

Really? Your claim is the rape victims actually encourage rape through
their support of government policies that interfere and disrupt other
governments and societies?

I'd say there's an idiot around here, that's true. I'm not convinced it's
Churchill though.

QED

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Pete

Old February 21st 05, 12:06 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

More importantly, I think that there's some truth to the general gist of
Churchill's comments. His point was that we are ALL complicit in the
origin
of terrorism.

Then he is an idiot.

By the same "logic" victims of rape are complicit in the origin of rape.

Really? Your claim is the rape victims actually encourage rape through
their support of government policies that interfere and disrupt other
governments and societies?

my goodness, you don't see the parallel? You could have asked if rape
victims actually encourage rape through their support of society/government
policies that encourage sexual violence.

WRT to your question: My claim? of course not. quite the opposite.

I'd say there's an idiot around here, that's true. I'm not convinced it's
Churchill though.

apparently more than one idiot.

Old February 21st 05, 12:54 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

I'm sorry, but it just happened (like McNicoll knew it would).

Hey! You asked the question, I just provided an answer.

Old February 21st 05, 02:09 PM
Corky Scott

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:47:41 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

Do NOT construe any of my comments as condonement of the terrorist
activities. That's not what I'm saying. But to pretend that the terrorists
are just randomly choosing to attack Americans is ridiculous. They targeted
us for a reason, and frankly continuing a policy of aggression rather than
reconciliation is just making terrorism worse.

Actually Pete, I think they claimed that the attacks were planned as a
reaction to their belief that the holy land was desecrated when
infidels (coalition troops) occupied Saudi Arabia and Kuwait in 1991
during "Desert Storm".

They chose the WTC and the Pentagon, and apparently were also
intending to hit the White House or the Capital building (but that
flight crashed due to the attack of the passengers on board the
airliner when they figured out what their likely fate would be) for
their symbology and, in the case of the WTC, it's vulnerability.

I'd lay the blame at the foot of religion...again.

Corky Scott

Old February 21st 05, 02:28 PM
Gary G

I just got out both my red and green lasers and turned them on myself!
Of course, I wasn't flying, but I'm still a (student) pilot.

Can I get a reward for turning myself in?

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message ...

Just as the U.S. Secretary of Transportation Norman Y. Mineta
Announces New Laser Warning and Reporting System for Pilots*, the USAF
finds aiming lasers at pilots may not be such a bad idea after all:

AOPA ePilot Volume 7, Issue 7 February 18, 2005

AIR FORCE PROPOSES LASER WARNING SYSTEM
The Air Force has begun aiming what it terms "safe" lasers at a test
aircraft operating out of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport to
develop an alternating red-red-green laser light system to warn pilots
who stray into the Washington-Baltimore airspace without permission.
"USA Today" reports that operational testing could begin in the spring
followed by what the Air Force promises will be "intense" briefings
for pilots operating in the Washington, D.C., area. AOPA officials
will be among those briefed and the association already is working
with the Department of Defense and the FAA to learn more about the
system and how it will be used. AOPA has requested a preview and
demonstration.

*
http://sev.prnewswire.com/transporta...2012005-1.html

Old February 21st 05, 04:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Fry" wrote in message

Because he is simply expressing an unpopular opinion.

Actually, he's doing quite a bit more than that.

The idea in
western culture is that we don't dick people over for their
opinions. That behavior we leave to non-western cultures.

Nobody's being dicked over for their opinions here.

Old February 21st 05, 04:03 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Evidently Ward Churchill isn't the only nutbar out there.

Certainly not. The left is lousy with them.