Shot at/Shot back

Old March 6th 04, 03:36 AM
Bob McKellar

Default Shot at/Shot back

We keep bringing up presidents/candidates getting shot at (
"We" includes me, I confess ). But today a related issue
popped into my head.

After all the discussion of Kerry's VN history, I wondered
if we have had any other recent ( last 75 years or so )
presidents or major contenders who have killed somebody in a
personal and particular way. We have had bomb droppers (
GHWB, McGovern ) and Truman's artillery and Ford's AA, but
little close range infantry type experience in our leaders
since Teddy R.

Bob Kerrey would certainly qualify, but he didn't make it
too far in his presidential bid. Bob Dole was in serious
combat, but I don't know if his shooting experience was
aimed or "to whom it may concern".

Maybe I have forgotten something ( not an unusual event )
and maybe it is a silly thing to think about. However, I
think the experience of picking a particular human being and
blowing him away would have quite an effect on somebody.

Bob McKellar

Note due to the nature of news groups: This post is not
intended to disparage or criticize any person or group. I'm
just curious.

Old March 6th 04, 04:27 AM
Steven James Forsberg

: Bob Kerrey would certainly qualify, but he didn't make it
: too far in his presidential bid. Bob Dole was in serious
: combat, but I don't know if his shooting experience was
: aimed or "to whom it may concern".

Well, according to SLA Marshall there is a real question as to
how much shooting in WWII was actually "aimed" at all. ;-)
More seriously, Dole was a 2lt on the front lines with the
10th Mountain Division (presumably infantry branch) when he was wounded
trying to pull his wounded radioman to safety. IIRC from a speech he
gave, he almost died three times (on the battlefield, and two different
times after surgeries stateside). Got a Bronze Star and 2 Purple Hearts
for his efforts.
ISTR he once quipped about how he got assigned to the 10th Mountain
Division -- "I'm from Kansas, and this was the army..."

regards,

Old March 6th 04, 04:37 AM
Bob McKellar

Steven James Forsberg wrote:

: Bob Kerrey would certainly qualify, but he didn't make it
: too far in his presidential bid. Bob Dole was in serious
: combat, but I don't know if his shooting experience was
: aimed or "to whom it may concern".

Well, according to SLA Marshall there is a real question as to
how much shooting in WWII was actually "aimed" at all. ;-)

That has been my general impression, very little aiming going on.

More seriously, Dole was a 2lt on the front lines with the
10th Mountain Division (presumably infantry branch) when he was wounded
trying to pull his wounded radioman to safety. IIRC from a speech he
gave, he almost died three times (on the battlefield, and two different
times after surgeries stateside). Got a Bronze Star and 2 Purple Hearts
for his efforts.
ISTR he once quipped about how he got assigned to the 10th Mountain
Division -- "I'm from Kansas, and this was the army..."

A distinguished and witty gentlemen, without a doubt.

Bob McKellar

Old March 6th 04, 04:51 AM
Tex Houston

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

We keep bringing up presidents/candidates getting shot at (
"We" includes me, I confess ). But today a related issue
popped into my head.
snipped
Maybe I have forgotten something ( not an unusual event )
and maybe it is a silly thing to think about. However, I
think the experience of picking a particular human being and
blowing him away would have quite an effect on somebody.

Bob McKellar

I'll submit a name who came so close. Tied in vote total with Thomas
Jefferson he became vice president by decision of the House of Representives
but is probably most known for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel. He
also served in the Revolutionary War.

Regards,

Tex houston

Old March 6th 04, 05:07 AM
Michael P. Reed

In message , "Tex Houston" wrote:

I'll submit a name who came so close. Tied in vote total with Thomas
Jefferson he became vice president by decision of the House of Representives
but is probably most known for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel. He
also served in the Revolutionary War.

Yes, but Burr saw very little combat. The only action I can think he was in
was an attack on some British pickets during Henry Clinton's diversion into New
Jersey in September of 1777. Other than that, he served mostly as a staff
officer (though still officially LTC of Malcolm's Additional Regiment until it
was amalgamated with Grayson's [?] Additional. Of course, there were duels.
Jackson also fought duels.

--
Regards,

Michael P. Reed

Old March 6th 04, 05:51 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

We keep bringing up presidents/candidates getting shot at (
"We" includes me, I confess ). But today a related issue
popped into my head.
snipped
Maybe I have forgotten something ( not an unusual event )
and maybe it is a silly thing to think about. However, I
think the experience of picking a particular human being and
blowing him away would have quite an effect on somebody.

I'll submit a name who came so close. Tied in vote total with Thomas
Jefferson he became vice president by decision of the House of

Representives
but is probably most known for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel. He
also served in the Revolutionary War.

Andrew Jackson commanded the Army of Tennessee at New Orleans in 1815 and
was censured during his first term for sport hunting bipeds. Persuit was
the specialty of the Army of Tennessee and he had to keep his dogs sharp.

Old March 6th 04, 06:18 AM
raymond o'hara

"Michael P. Reed" wrote in message
[...]

burr was with arnold on the march to quebec and he was at monmouth . the
battles in the rev were so small that everybody was near the front .

Old March 6th 04, 06:18 AM
Chris Mark

From: Bob McKellar bob@coastco

I wondered
if we have had any other recent ( last 75 years or so )
presidents or major contenders who have killed somebody in a
personal and particular way.

Henry Kissinger's name was bandied about as a possible presidential candidate
at one time (and as with Arnold Swartzenegger, his fans hoped a constitutional
amendment would make it possible). During WW2, he served as a rifleman with
the 84th Infantry Division and fought at the Battle of the Bulge, where he had
plenty of opportunities to be shot at and shoot back. Seeing that he was Jewish
and his family fled Germany in 1938, he took killing Nazis personally.
A brief history of the 84th ID's exploits during the war can be found he

http://www.lonesentry.com/gi_stories.../84thinfantry/

Chris Mark
Old March 6th 04, 06:34 AM
Fred J. McCall

:
: We keep bringing up presidents/candidates getting shot at (
: "We" includes me, I confess ). But today a related issue
: popped into my head.
: snipped
: Maybe I have forgotten something ( not an unusual event )
: and maybe it is a silly thing to think about. However, I
: think the experience of picking a particular human being and
: blowing him away would have quite an effect on somebody.
:
:I'll submit a name who came so close. Tied in vote total with Thomas
:Jefferson he became vice president by decision of the House of Representives
:but is probably most known for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel. He
:also served in the Revolutionary War.

Uh, wasn't that a bit longer than 75 years ago?

Old March 6th 04, 07:02 AM
George Z. Bush

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

We keep bringing up presidents/candidates getting shot at (
"We" includes me, I confess ). But today a related issue
popped into my head.
snipped
Maybe I have forgotten something ( not an unusual event )
and maybe it is a silly thing to think about. However, I
think the experience of picking a particular human being and
blowing him away would have quite an effect on somebody.

Bob McKellar

I'll submit a name who came so close. Tied in vote total with Thomas
Jefferson he became vice president by decision of the House of Representives
but is probably most known for killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel. He
also served in the Revolutionary War.

Aaron Burr?

George Z.