SUA airspace format

Old May 25th 10, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default SUA airspace format

Can anybody point me at a definition of the SUA airspace file format,
please?

LK8000 uses it, but so far I haven't been able to find the UK airspace in
SUA format, so its looking more and more as if I'll have to convert a TNP
or OpenAir file to SUA.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 25th 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

TNP (Tim Newport-Peace) format airspace files are normally saved with the
".sua" file extension. They are sometimes saved with the ".txt" file
extension.

There is no such thing as an "SUA" airspace file format.

OpenAir airspace files are usually saved with the ".txt" file extension.

Both OpenAir and TNP airspace files should included information on the file
type in the file header.

The TNP airspace format seems to be less popular around the world than the
OpenAir format. The OpenAir format is supplied by more contest organizers
than the TNP files. That is a shame since it is easy to convert from
OpenAir to TNP using StrePla.

The Naviter (SeeYou) ".cub" airspace format is also supplied by many contest
organizers.

I would be very surprised if the LK8000 software does not support the
OpenAir format, but I don't know much about that software.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 25th 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 25, 3:52*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
Can anybody point me at a definition of the SUA airspace file format,
please?
LK8000 uses it,

I think you'll find that LK8000 requires Open Air format and will not
accept TNP. The Config menu, Site 1, will only display SUA files with
a TXT extension. So the requirement is OpenAir format with TXT
extension.

The documentation is somewhat misleading.

Andy (GY)

Old May 25th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Very surprised to learn that LK8000 does not grok the .sua/TNP format.
Smart soaring software should be able to handle either format without
complaint; it doesn't take much additional code.

Both formats have their drawbacks. I like the TNP format best but it
is specific to the European airspace standard.

The OpenAir format is more like a graphics drawing script, with codes
for colors and line widths and pens and brushes etc, which should be
described separately from the airspace itself. But that's another
thread.

tuno

Format display Delbert Soaring 1 May 18th 09 01:41 AM
Wichita Airspace Question and overlapping airspace Owen[_4_] Piloting 1 February 14th 07 09:35 PM
Two airspace classes for one airspace? (KOQU) John R Piloting 8 June 30th 04 04:46 AM
Gamin to .igc format Chris Davison Soaring 6 April 29th 04 02:50 AM
New fun racing format Kirk Stant Soaring 1 October 8th 03 06:46 AM