OT ?

Old September 28th 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

Default OT ?

Dave S wrote:

The Visitor wrote:
I wouldn't want an abnormally low outside air

pressure allow an exxcess of fluid to exit.

Before someone gets the wrong idea and runs with it.. this is NOT a
factor in a chronic patient.. and shows a misunderstanding of the
physicis involved. As long as free air does not develop in the circuit
(such as gas bubble formation from decompression sickness), this does
not happen.

Do you mean that, it is not like someone getting the 'bends' if they
come up too fast from scuba diving, so to speak?

Christopher
Old September 28th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Badaracco

Angel Flight pilots use a wide variety of aircraft. Most are single
engine, unpressurized, 4 seat planes. If you or your doctor have a
concern about flight at altitude you should communicate that to the
mission coordinator. They will include that in the mission request form
that goes to the pilots. It might also factor into the decision of the
location of the handoffs. If a pilot sees the altitude restriction in
the request and cannot accommodate it (very unlikely) they will simply
not sign up to make the flight. It is not unusual for us to see special
requirements in the remarks section of a mission request. When the pilot
contacts you about the flight you can verify they they have seen the
request to fly lower than a particular altitude.

Rich Badaracco
Director - Angel Flight North Carolina

Christopher Range wrote:
I am grasping at straws about, the information I need know. I have been
looking on the Internet, regarding the the ceiling level of the flying
altitude of a Cessna.

I am needing to know the information because, my fiance n' I may have to
utilitize 'Angel Flight' for, her to get to Baltimore from our home in
Duluth(Minnesota). Angel Flight, is a non-profit flight service that
utilizes the personal Cessna planes of individual pilots.

She has a 'shunt'(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_shunt) as a result
of a condition called Hydrocephalus. Because of this, we are concerned
about cabin pressure. I know that Cessnas' are not pressurized and, the
ceiling level could cause her to have a bad headache.

While she has never flown in one(with a shunt), I have(I have
Hydrocephalus too, knock on wood). When I was 9yrs.-old(1976), I flew
from LAX(Los Angeles International Airport), to the airport in the Grand
Canyon, in a Cessna-style aircraft.

Thankyou for your time.

Christopher

Old September 28th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

you will need to cross the Appelatian Mountains,
Named for their many names, of course.

I forgot about the numerous names.

Actually, he was pointing out a spelling error. An "appelatian" is a
"name", specifically the name of a wine growing region, and the wine
produced there according to certain legal guidelines. The mountains to
which I refer should have been spelled "Appalachian", as in "appalling",
the word for my spelling.

The only special concern about crossing them was that the pilot would
need to climb above them, or attempt to go through them. To date, no
pilot has actually been able to fly very far through the ground, and
doing so with passengers is frowned upon.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old September 28th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Presuming it may not have been communicated properly, would it be prudent of me to double-check it with the pilot or, would that be, excessively picky?

You should feel free to discuss these issues with the pilot.

Jose
Old September 29th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

Rich Badaracco wrote:
Angel Flight pilots use a wide variety of aircraft. Most are single
engine, unpressurized, 4 seat planes.

I was thinking, that was the only type used.

If you or your doctor have a concern about flight at altitude you
should communicate that to the mission coordinator.

While I am not concerned, my fiance is.

They will include that in the mission request form that goes to the
pilots.

I was thinking, that was how it is done.

It might also factor into the decision of the location of the
handoffs.

True

If a pilot sees the altitude restriction in the request and cannot
accommodate it (very unlikely) they will simply not sign up to make
the flight.

Hmmm.....

It is not unusual for us to see special requirements in the remarks
section of a mission request.

Ok

When the pilot contacts you about the flight you can verify they have
seen the request to fly lower than a particular altitude.

Rich Badaracco Director - Angel Flight North Carolina

Thankyou for pointing this out.

Christopher
Old September 29th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Christopher Range" wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:
I'm an A F pilot myself. It's a very rewarding part of my flying.
You will probably fly in more types than Cessnas on your way there
and back.

Since you are an AF pilot, is the flight back contingent on time
constraints i.e. has to happen within a week of the original flight

It depends on your needs, the weather and the availability of volunteer
pilots. There is no time constraint.

I am thinking, the single-engine Cessnas' unless, you know of AF using
some other types of Cessnas'?

AF uses whatever its volunteer pilots fly. I've picked up from and handed
off to everything from small Pipers to twin-engined, turboprop Kingairs. It
all depends on who volunteers. A flight as long as yours will likely be
divided into 3 legs each way. You could fly on as many as 6 different
kinds of airplanes, round trip, and not a Cessna among them, though that's
unlikely.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 29th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Christopher Range" wrote)
2.5 hours from Duluth to the Amtrak Station in St Paul - via minivan(?).

The only way to get to St. Paul is by bus. I am not crazy enough to get a
drivers license(I get around faster on my bike.

If the rest of you trip (out east for medical attention for your gal)
requires getting to Mpls/St Paul, e-mail me and I'll drive up and pick you
up ...in the minivan.

Call Amtrak and see what their requirements/rates are. They're pretty good
at working with disjoined schedules.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...mtrak/HomePage
Amtrak

1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245)

Montblack
(a t)
si.
co

Old October 2nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al[_1_]

"Christopher Range" wrote in message
[...]

Many of their aircraft(Angel Flight) are pressurized and can be flown with
minimal
altitude change in the cabin. I have flown pressure sensitive patients with
cabin altitude changes of less than 100', and those spread out over a couple
of hours.
Check with your doctor.

Al G

Old October 3rd 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

Al wrote:
Many of their aircraft(Angel Flight) are pressurized and can be flown
with minimal altitude change in the cabin. I have flown pressure
sensitive patients with cabin altitude changes of less than 100', and
those spread out over a couple of hours. Check with your doctor.

Al G

Thankyou for letting me know.
Old October 14th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

Jose wrote:
Presuming it may not have been communicated properly, would it be
prudent of me to double-check it with the pilot or, would that be,
excessively picky?

You should feel free to discuss these issues with the pilot.

Jose

My fiance got her medical clearance yesterday so, I am pretty sure I
will get mine within the next week.

My only concern now is, we have had light dustings of snow, around the
same time every day, for the last three days. Since the flight is
scheduled for 10-29-2006, I am wondering how much snow will ground the
plane?

Christopher