Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 5th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Gary Drescher wrote:

"Skywise" wrote in message

I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not.

Have you directly or indirectly inherited some of the wealth that the
slave owners stole from the black population? Thought so.

And both the blacks and the whites stole it from the native Americans, so
if anyone is owed compensation.... :-)

And they stole it from...

The neat thing is that most native Americans didn't consider land
something to be owned. They consider themselves essentially stewards of
the land. Personally, I think there is a lot to be said for their way
of thinking vs. the European way.

So, I don't think the native Americans stole anything, they were simply
caretakers and users of the natural resources. The Europeans stole this
from the native Americans, just as they stole Africans to use as slaves.

Matt
Old June 5th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

just as they stole Africans to use as slaves.

Matt

Actually the Americans bought the slaves. In many cases from Africans.

Old June 5th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

just as they stole Africans to use as slaves.

Matt

Actually the Americans bought the slaves. In many cases from Africans.

I said Europeans, not Americans. The Americans may have bought them,
but they were still buying stolen (kidnapped) "goods."

I believe most of the slave traders were European, but I'm sure some
enterprising Africans got into the action as well.

Matt
Old June 5th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Whiting writes:

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

just as they stole Africans to use as slaves.

Matt

Actually the Americans bought the slaves. In many cases from
Africans.

I said Europeans, not Americans. The Americans may have bought them,
but they were still buying stolen (kidnapped) "goods."

I believe most of the slave traders were European, but I'm sure some
enterprising Africans got into the action as well.

You need to read up on the history of the slave trade more. My
understanding is that the Europeans simply became a new market for a
well-established trade, run by various African tribes and quite a lot
of Arabs.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old June 5th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. ..
Skywise wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in
I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not. Remember the
past, yes, but get over it.

None of the above. My maternal ancestors came over during the Potato
Famine to Massachusetts. It's safe to assume they didn't own anybody. My
paternal grandparents came here from Austria in 1920. hey didn't own
anyone either. Given those facts, I don't believe I owe anyone ****.

The Poles abused my grandfather; he hated them. Do I hate Poles? Hell,
no. What have they ever done to *me*? Nothing. What's in the past is in
the past. If it were a part of my own life experience, I might hold a
grudge. But it isn't... so I don't.

People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson latch onto issues like this to
cover their personal lack of achievement.

They latch onto issues such as this to keep the race card alive and well.
If the race issues go away they are out of a job. Their goal is to make
things worse not better.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old June 6th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin did not write ANY of what is printed below.

om...

wrote in message
| . ..
| Skywise wrote:
| "Jim Macklin"
wrote in

Old June 6th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Matt Whiting writes:

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

just as they stole Africans to use as slaves.

Matt

Actually the Americans bought the slaves. In many cases from
Africans.

I said Europeans, not Americans. The Americans may have bought them,
but they were still buying stolen (kidnapped) "goods."

I believe most of the slave traders were European, but I'm sure some
enterprising Africans got into the action as well.

You need to read up on the history of the slave trade more. My
understanding is that the Europeans simply became a new market for a
well-established trade, run by various African tribes and quite a lot
of Arabs.

Probably should, but I'm not planning on it. I just don't care that
much about what happened 100-300 years ago. I'm more concerned about
what will happen in the next 100 years.

Matt
Old June 6th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

Who is talking about *punitive* reparations?

I was, from the very first post I made in this thread. It
now appears our whole argument is based on your misreading
of my post.

No, it's apparently based on your own misreading of your own post. Nothing
in your original post referred to *punitive* reparations.

More importantly, no significant participant in the national debate (to my
knowledge) has ever advocated *punitive* reparations, so if would make no
sense for you to be "sick and tired" of such "demands". (And by the way,
since no one here had been advocating any sort of reparation until you
brought it up, it was a peculiar complaint for you to issue here in the
first place.)

For your reference, here's the text of your orginal post:

I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not. Remember the
past, yes, but get over it.

See? No mention of *punitive* recompense, just "recompense". There is a
clear legal and moral distinction between compensation and "punitive
damages", with entirely different criteria for when each is warranted.

--Gary

Old June 6th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Whiting writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Matt Whiting writes:

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

just as they stole Africans to use as slaves.

Matt

Actually the Americans bought the slaves. In many cases from
Africans.

I said Europeans, not Americans. The Americans may have bought them,
but they were still buying stolen (kidnapped) "goods."

I believe most of the slave traders were European, but I'm sure some
enterprising Africans got into the action as well.

You need to read up on the history of the slave trade more. My
understanding is that the Europeans simply became a new market for a
well-established trade, run by various African tribes and quite a lot
of Arabs.

Probably should, but I'm not planning on it. I just don't care that
much about what happened 100-300 years ago. I'm more concerned about
what will happen in the next 100 years.

"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of
my life there." Reasonable enough.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old June 6th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

Who is talking about *punitive* reparations?

I was, from the very first post I made in this thread. It
now appears our whole argument is based on your misreading
of my post.

No, it's apparently based on your own misreading of your own post. Nothing
in your original post referred to *punitive* reparations.

Why the **** else would there be reparations if not to punish?
Specific to this issue, slavery in America pre Civil War, what
tangible property is to be returned? What other reason would
there be (re slavery) for white people alive today to give
*anything* to black people alive today? The only thing taken
away from the blacks was their freedom. That has already been
returned to them. Anything more is punative.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?