Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 4th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Gee, I'm sorry that I didn't write out all the details, but
my memory is accurate. I have no guilt or expectations.
The reporter had been on assignment in Africa and was very
glad he didn't have to live there.

Keith Richburg
http://capmag.com/article.asp?id=799

(Out of Africa: A Black Man Confronts Africa).

He was interviewed by Brian Lamb, this would have been
before 9/11/2001, could have been several years earlier. I
don't remember his name and don't care to spend a lot of
time on Google looking for the results. As you say,
somebody will remember the name of the book or the author
and then you can apologize to me.

Drescher? Ha, you're funny!

--
Matt
---------------------

Old June 4th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
om...
Recently, Jim Macklin posted:

Importation of slaves was illegal in the USA after 1807, but
ownership was still legal. The South's economy was based on
hand labor agriculture, cotton. A lot of white people
fought and died to free the slaves. A lot of Southerners
fought and died to preserve their life-style. Both were
honorable.

The petitions issued from the south prior to 1861 all regarded TARIFFS that
were deliberatley put in place to favor the industrial north.

So, you believe it is honorable to fight and die to preserve the ability
to own people as property?

Gee...isn't hindsight beautiful? Wanna bet a months pay which side you'd
have been on IN REAL TIME? Bet that145 years ago, you'd been "Massa".

Old June 4th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
newsAtgg.26330$ZW3.14292@dukeread04...

Gee, I do remember exactly what the author said, in context.
Since did not make up what he said and this is neither a
court of law or a college manuscript, my word is all that I
need.

Intellectual integrity should not be restricted to courts and colleges. It
is deeply slanderous to claim that a respected black author had written "a
book about how glad he is his ancestors were slaves", and deeply
irresponsible to make such a defamatory claim without even trying to verify
it. (Of course, a sufficiently racist person might not even realize that the
claim is defamatory, and thus might not realize that special care is
warranted before making the claim.)

If you question my memory, you're certainly free to
research the matter and print your results.

That's ludicrous. It's impossible to prove that an alleged passage did *not*
appear in some unnamed book by some unnamed author. The burden of proof is
obviously on the person who claims it *did* appear.

But your worldview is so impervious to reality that you are able to continue
to believe that your recollection is accurate even if neither you nor anyone
else is ever able to find the outrageous book you claim to have read. Thus,
in your imaginary world, there are respectable African American authors who
are grateful for slavery, and your inability to actually find such an author
does nothing to undermine your self-serving belief.

--Gary

I saw the same interview on C-SPAN several years ago. Mr. Macklin's
recollection is not inaccurate. I don't remember the exact words,
phrases, and punctuation used, but Mr. Macklin correctly posted the gist
of it here. Before challenging one's "worldview" and making remarks
questioning "intellectual integrity," it's surely best to know what you
are talking about.
Old June 4th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You're so full of crap, YOU make assumptions and condemn
others without anything but your opinion and guilt. FO.

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old June 4th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thank you, do you remember the author's name or the title of
the book?

Take that, Gary.

Old June 4th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I said the people who fought on both sides of the Civil War
were honorable people. Some blacks fought for the South.
I've never been a "redneck with a Confederate flag" on my
car. I do not have any desire to own slaves, but I don't
have any false ideas about why slavery existed either.

some support

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
om...
| Recently, Jim Macklin
posted:

| Importation of slaves was illegal in the USA after 1807,
but
| ownership was still legal. The South's economy was
based on
| hand labor agriculture, cotton. A lot of white people
| fought and died to free the slaves. A lot of
Southerners
| fought and died to preserve their life-style. Both were
| honorable.
|
| So, you believe it is honorable to fight and die to
preserve the ability
| to own people as property?
|
| But slavery was still wrong and it ceased to be
| the same after 1865. But there was still economic
"slavery"
| for many people working for low wages in company towns,
| buying food and clothes at the company store on credit.
|
| There is no similarity between the slavery of blacks and
the "economic
| slavery" that you describe. Those working for low wages in
company towns
| are not deemed the property of the company, with no
individual rights.
| They could not be hunted and killed for leaving town for
better
| circumstances.
|
| Laws change, society changes, hopefully for the better.
We
| should remember the past, so we don't continue to make
the
| same mistakes, but we must get over the anger and
personal
| feelings about what happened 50, 100, 150, 500, 2000
years

Old June 4th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks.

some support

Old June 4th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I see it was the Washington Post and not the WSJ.

Old June 4th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Gee, I'm sorry that I didn't write out all the details, but
my memory is accurate. I have no guilt or expectations.
The reporter had been on assignment in Africa and was very
glad he didn't have to live there.

Keith Richburg
http://capmag.com/article.asp?id=799

Yes, Richburg says he is glad his ancestors came to America. But that is not
the same as his being glad they were enslaved (even if that is in fact how
they got here).

As I pointed out earlier, a Jewish person might similarly be glad his
ancestors ended up in America, but without thereby being grateful for the
holocaust that forced their migration. There's a *huge* difference.

It would be monstrous for a person to be glad that a massive atrocity
occurred just because, as a side effect, it left him personally better off
than he believes he otherwise would have been (not to mention that the
comparison is nonsensical--if history had gone differently than it actually
did, then no one would exist who actually exists now; there'd be an entirely
different set of people).

Above all, what's astonishing is for someone here to *approvingly* cite that
inaccurately-recalled monstrous sentiment while trying to defend the
extremist right-wing position that America was a "free country" until 1864
but not afterward.

--Gary

Old June 4th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I stated that freedom was lost in 1968. Also, I was not
defending any "right-wing extremist" position. I did
recount the interview and the answer that the author made, I
was not characterizing his answer to a question, The
author, Keith Richburg said he was thankful his ancestors
had been brought to this country so he never had to live in
Africa. I would say that "brought to" is slavery.

I'm sure that if I had the money and time to waste, I could
get a transcript or even the tape of the interview. But I
will just drop the issue since it isn't worth my time to
argue about what you think.

some support

. ..