CFI annual TSA renewal

Old February 13th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default CFI annual TSA renewal

Has anyone started the annual process of renewing their TSA
certification? I just went and retook the on-line exam but AOPA is now
saying the initial TSA test does not meet the requirements of renewal.
So are all CFIs grounded until someone comes up with a renewal (I know
you can get the renewal when you go to your CFI renewal course, but I
only do that every 2 years).

-Robert

Old February 13th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Has anyone started the annual process of renewing their TSA
certification? I just went and retook the on-line exam but AOPA is now
saying the initial TSA test does not meet the requirements of renewal.
So are all CFIs grounded until someone comes up with a renewal (I know
you can get the renewal when you go to your CFI renewal course, but I
only do that every 2 years).

-Robert

Oops...I talked to AOPA a while ago about this, and they said they were
working on a new course.

I didn't even think about that...I did the TSA course last January,
guess I'm not eligible to instruct now. What bull****.
Old February 13th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Has anyone started the annual process of renewing their TSA
certification? I just went and retook the on-line exam but AOPA is now
saying the initial TSA test does not meet the requirements of renewal.
So are all CFIs grounded until someone comes up with a renewal (I know
you can get the renewal when you go to your CFI renewal course, but I
only do that every 2 years).

-Robert

Renewal??? You're supposed to do that every year? Where does it say
that??? I just finished renewing my CFI (the Gleim on-line FIRC), and it
didn't say anything about having to renew my TSA.
Old February 13th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is in the TSA rules, the ones that make us safe because
you can only learn how to crash an airliner if you train in
the USA.

some support

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
| In article
. com,

Old February 13th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

From the NAFI website:
TSA Issues Recurrency Training Exemption for CFIs

December 14, 2005 - Responding to strong requests and suggestions from NAFI
and EAA officials, the Transportation Security Administration has issued an
exemption to independent flight instructors and flight school employees in
technical default of the recurrency requirements set forth in September,
2004. The requirements in question mandated each individual to complete
recurrent training annually in the same calendar month as the initial
training.

By letter dated 13 December 2005, TSA General Manager Robert Rottman granted
an exemption to all flight school employees and CFIs, extending until 01
January 2007 and permitting a delay of up to but not beyond 18 months to
complete the first recurrent training.

The ruling is posted on he TSA website at posted on the TSA website; go to
www.TSA.gov, then, Travelers and Consumers, then Air Travel, then General
Aviation, mid page. Questions should be addressed to

ups.com...

Old February 13th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I just keep finding all kinds of
goodies...
Here is another link from the TSA site that contains the FSSA download.
I've only got dial up here at work, so I'll take a look at it tonight at
home, but I can't see how taking the TSA's own training wouldn't qualify for
recurrent training... BUT... we're not talking about something that makes
sense anyway... so who knows.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1727.xml

Jim

Old February 13th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It sure would have saved a lot of problems had anyone in the TSA spoke
to any CFI before coming up with these rules. Just the fact that they
were shocked after releasing the rule that some CFIs don't work for
flight schools tells you something.

-Robert

Old February 13th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

TSA or Too Stupid for Arby's

Make a rule and the problem is solved. Doesn't matter if
the rule is workable, effective or understandable, the rule
solves the problem. What is the problem you ask? We have
to "do something."

TSA didn't even ask the FAA, let alone the AOPA, EAA, NAFI
or me.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old February 14th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 12 Feb 2006 21:57:27 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

Has anyone started the annual process of renewing their TSA
certification? I just went and retook the on-line exam but AOPA is now
saying the initial TSA test does not meet the requirements of renewal.

Hmm. I had no idea that what the TSA had on their site was not good
enough for a recurrence. I had the link on my computer from when I
took it the first time and so all I did was go back to it and took the
lame thing again, printed out that so called Certificate that looks
like a first grader made up and stuck it in the files.

Scott D.

take out the obvious to email me