How Many Hours Did You Complete Your Commercial rating in?

Old December 31st 03, 04:36 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

Default How Many Hours Did You Complete Your Commercial rating in?

Just curious.... How many hours did you complete your Commercial rating in?

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old December 31st 03, 04:48 AM
H. Adam Stevens

174.7 hours
date 8/21/68
It was Gene Minter's first DE checkride, in a 150, 6452S, I was 18.
The checkride took 1.1 hours.

blue skies
H.
CPA S&MEL IA
1774847

Old December 31st 03, 05:35 AM
BTIZ

as in how many hours in the books?
or.. once deciding to "go for the commercial".. how much dual was involved
to prepare for the check ride.

From the time of my Private Check, until perusing my Civil Commercial,
almost 25 years passed, and a whole bunch of hours.. you leave an open ended
question.

BT

Old December 31st 03, 06:05 AM
Brad Z

Cecil- To answer your question, I don't know.

Are you considering total time to meet all of the requirements of 61.129?

To me, the Commercial Cert isn't a ticket that you work on in X number of
hours. I suppose you could do it in as little as the 3 hours within 60 days
to meet 61.129(a)(3)(v) if you have met every other requirement of 61.129(a)
and are proficient at the manuevers.

If you are talking about the number of hours required to train for the
manuevers for the checkride, 10 or less should be sufficient if you're
familiar with the airplane you will use. Since a complex aircraft is
required for at least part of the checkride, some folks will require more
hours to be comfortable with the new plane.

Old December 31st 03, 02:22 PM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-12-30 20:36:07 -0800, "Cecil E. Chapman"
said:

Just curious.... How many hours did you complete your Commercial rating

in?

I took 12.2 hours of dual instruction in a 172RG. (Lazy 8s gave me
particular tought time.) Then a little over an hour for the checkride. I
had a total of 261 hours after finishing the checkride.

(On a different subject, if someone - particularly among those who noted
the lack of line wrapping in my posts before - could let me know how this
post looks, I'd appreciate it! My test posts to alt.test look fine to me.
I want to make sure they look okay to everyone else as well.)

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA
Old December 31st 03, 02:53 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

If you are talking about the number of hours required to train for the
maneuvers for the checkride, 10 or less should be sufficient if you're
familiar with the airplane you will use. Since a complex aircraft is
required for at least part of the checkride, some folks will require more
hours to be comfortable with the new plane.

That's exactly what I was asking. I didn't intend to be so vague in my
question.

Thanks!

=-----

Old December 31st 03, 02:55 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

thank you! That is exactly the info I was after. I didn't realize until I
re-read my post that I wasn't very specific as to the type of information I
was looking for.

=-----

Old December 31st 03, 04:27 PM
Andrew Gideon

Cecil E. Chapman wrote:

If you are talking about the number of hours required to train for the
maneuvers for the checkride, 10 or less should be sufficient if you're
familiar with the airplane you will use. Since a complex aircraft is
required for at least part of the checkride, some folks will require more
hours to be comfortable with the new plane.

That's exactly what I was asking. I didn't intend to be so vague in my
question.

I asked my CFII this a little while ago, and thought I could do it in 10-15
hours. The caveat is that I'm not yet flying complex (although my club has
one), but I have spent a couple of hours playing with the maneuvers (the
"fun" part of the rating, in my opinion {8^).

- Andrew

Old December 31st 03, 07:12 PM
Judah

Looks fine...

And good info, too...

Larry Fransson wrote in

Old December 31st 03, 07:59 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

one), but I have spent a couple of hours playing with the maneuvers (the
"fun" part of the rating, in my opinion {8^).

I know one day, long after getting my ticket (before starting my instrument
rating)I asked my CFII if we could go up together and he could guide me
through some of the Commercial maneuvers,,,, the one I was most interested
in was the Chandelle (now THAT'S a VALUABLE maneuver to have in your pilot
'toolbox'),, but I got to try lazy eights as well. As much as I enjoy the
challenge of the instrument rating, I am REALLY looking forward to when I
start my Commercial training so that I can look out and enjoy the 'view'
again. :-) As far as utility I also look forward to learning how to do
those emergency steep spirals to a landing...

=-----