Cirrus/Std Cirrus

Old November 18th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Default Cirrus/Std Cirrus

Mm first glider was an Open Cirrus. Great aircraft, with certain limitations. It will stay up when nothing else will. Speeds above 65 Knots result in the altimeter spinning down faster than you want it to. Don't spin it to the right, cause it really does not want to exit the spin right away. If you don't have a gym membership, you are going to need one to rig it. The wing root is pretty heavy at the end of the day. You are going to have to make a lot of good friends at your local glider club that will help you when you want to rig it. The trailer is pretty important. I suggest that you pull the trailer to a nice flat spot and you and a friend rig it under the direction of the current owner as part of your pre-purchase decision. It's a lot of glider for the money if you are OK with its limatations. If it still has a drogue chute in the tail, practice with it before you need it for real. Don't pull it the first time until you are over the numbers, and be prepared to put the nose down right away. That said, if you have a short field, the chute is a magic bullet to have in your pocket. I used mine once, I really needed it at that time, and as a result that Open Cirrus is still flying.

SF
Old November 18th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Winter

Man, thanks for all the replies!

Old November 18th 16, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 6:58:41 PM UTC-7, Tim Winter wrote:
Used to have a Std Libelle and had to sell her. But getting back into flying and shopping for something new.

SUPPOSE all things equal, condition, avionics, rigging tools, trailer type and condition etc. AND same price. Which would you rather have? Open or Std Cirrus? I fly east coast USA and conditions are rarely STRONG.

I personally recommend only considering the Schempp-Hirth built Open Cirrus if you go that route. The VTC built have limitations.

Frank Whiteley

FS: Std. Cirrus '81 Tim Hanke Soaring 0 January 9th 09 09:12 PM
Cirrus vs ASW Jeff Runciman Soaring 53 March 24th 06 06:35 AM
Is this yet another Cirrus Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 11 January 27th 06 05:34 AM
Another Cirrus Down City Dweller Piloting 45 December 20th 05 05:33 AM
Another Cirrus Down [email protected] Piloting 0 December 13th 05 04:44 AM