A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Oklahoma Diamonds

Old November 18th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Oklahoma Diamonds

As far as I know, the first two diamond altitude gains ever made in Oklahoma were accomplished yesterday.

Wind was SW at about 40 knots and consistent up to at least 30,000 ft. I launched just before 8:30 AM in the Silent 2 Electro (THANK YOU LEO AND JENNIFER!) and found the secondary right next to the Talihina, OK Airport. It was a pretty easy jump into the primary and with some searching i found a good climb which eventually took me to 20,000 feet!

Fort Worth Center provided an IFR Clearance for me to climb above FL180, which was very nice.

It was very smooth flying with only light turbulence in the little bit of rotor that I flew in. It had gotten bumpy down low while I was flying as thermals had started to develop.

I was pretty pleased with being able to achieve my last Diamond before lunch so I came on down for landing. Randy Teel had arrived with his 304CZ to get a tow and I ran his wing. I let Randy know the frequency for Center and where I found the best wave. He got a tow and then I derigged the glider and headed home for Wichita.

I hope Randy chimes in with some details on his flight but he made it to 21,900!

So the Oklahoma State Altitude record was broken twice. We both earned Diamond Altitude, and once again we learned a little bit more about the soaring potential of this ridge system in the middle of the USA. I can't wait to go back!

My flight: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5472218
Old November 18th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 12:10:46 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
As far as I know, the first two diamond altitude gains ever made in Oklahoma were accomplished yesterday.

Wind was SW at about 40 knots and consistent up to at least 30,000 ft. I launched just before 8:30 AM in the Silent 2 Electro (THANK YOU LEO AND JENNIFER!) and found the secondary right next to the Talihina, OK Airport. It was a pretty easy jump into the primary and with some searching i found a good climb which eventually took me to 20,000 feet!

Fort Worth Center provided an IFR Clearance for me to climb above FL180, which was very nice.

It was very smooth flying with only light turbulence in the little bit of rotor that I flew in. It had gotten bumpy down low while I was flying as thermals had started to develop.

I was pretty pleased with being able to achieve my last Diamond before lunch so I came on down for landing. Randy Teel had arrived with his 304CZ to get a tow and I ran his wing. I let Randy know the frequency for Center and where I found the best wave. He got a tow and then I derigged the glider and headed home for Wichita.

I hope Randy chimes in with some details on his flight but he made it to 21,900!

So the Oklahoma State Altitude record was broken twice. We both earned Diamond Altitude, and once again we learned a little bit more about the soaring potential of this ridge system in the middle of the USA. I can't wait to go back!

Well done!
It shows that there is still exploring left to be done.
Looks like the average rate of climb was less than 150 feet/ minute.
Patience pays off.
Thanks for sharing
UH
Old November 18th 16, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 11:10:46 AM UTC-6, Tony wrote:

I might mention this is my third career flight in wave. All at Talhina. One on a north wind day and two on south wind days. I'm looking forward to many more!
Old November 18th 16, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 10:10:46 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:

As apparently no letter of agreement exists for this 'wave window', did either of you mention to Fort Worth that it was for a record? Randy described it as 10 mile radius of Rich Mountain VOR. WRT to Colorado wave windows, the FAA calls them 'Soaring Areas'.

Frank Whiteley
Old November 18th 16, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 12:10:46 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:

A magnificent accomplishment. Well done!

T8
Old November 18th 16, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

After I started my descent I thanked them and mentioned that it would be a new state record.

For me I was cleared from FL180-200 within a 10 mile radius of my present position.

Randy and I are both ATP's so negotiating a clearance wasn't much trouble.

We definitely need to start working on getting a wave window set up now!
Old November 19th 16, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy Teel
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 11:33:33 AM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 10:10:46 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:

As apparently no letter of agreement exists for this 'wave window', did either of you mention to Fort Worth that it was for a record? Randy described it as 10 mile radius of Rich Mountain VOR. WRT to Colorado wave windows, the FAA calls them 'Soaring Areas'.

Frank Whiteley

Yes, when I talk with Fort Worth Center, I mentioned to them that I was requesting a climb above FL180 to attempt and Oklahoma Altitude Record and that I needed to beat a friend who had just climbed to FL200 a few hours earlier...I had a few pilots on the frequency cheering me on and asking how the glider guy was doing before they switched off the frequency..I have it all recorded on my iPhone for proof that I had approval for my IFR clearance to FL230.
Old November 20th 16, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Awesome!