Condor hardware question

Old November 20th 16, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Condor hardware question

Can someone recommend a current 15" notebook with accelerated graphics that works well with Condor?

best,

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old November 20th 16, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 7:54:56 PM UTC+3, Tango Eight wrote:
Can someone recommend a current 15" notebook with accelerated graphics that works well with Condor?

Anything. Literally anything you can buy new today that will run Windows. Even in a virtual machine such as VMWare Player, Parallels, or VirtualBox on a Mac or Linux.

Condor was written for top end machines circa 2000. That's a while back.
Old November 20th 16, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 7:54:56 PM UTC+3, Tango Eight wrote:
Can someone recommend a current 15" notebook with accelerated graphics that works well with Condor?

Anything. Literally anything you can buy new today that will run Windows. Even in a virtual machine such as VMWare Player, Parallels, or VirtualBox on a Mac or Linux.

Condor was written for top end machines circa 2000. That's a while back.

The problem is that Condor doesn't recognize the 3D graphics accelerator in many modern notebook computers. Hence my question. Thanks.

Evan
Old November 20th 16, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

I have an old Sony Vaio and it runs condor very well. You might actually want to hunt for "older" high end laptops (cheap). Mine is a 2012 era machine. Maybe even 2011.
Old November 20th 16, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 8:55:41 PM UTC+3, Tango Eight wrote:
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 7:54:56 PM UTC+3, Tango Eight wrote:
Can someone recommend a current 15" notebook with accelerated graphics that works well with Condor?

Anything. Literally anything you can buy new today that will run Windows. Even in a virtual machine such as VMWare Player, Parallels, or VirtualBox on a Mac or Linux.

Condor was written for top end machines circa 2000. That's a while back.

The problem is that Condor doesn't recognize the 3D graphics accelerator in many modern notebook computers. Hence my question. Thanks.

That sounds very strange. Newer cards don't support Direct X 7? It should be upwards compatible, I would have thought.

Maybe you just need to install correct drivers.
Old November 21st 16, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AH

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 11:54:56 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
Can someone recommend a current 15" notebook with accelerated graphics that works well with Condor?

best,

Evan Ludeman / T8

Evan, I use a ASUS G74SX gaming 17" that really works well. Just bought another on ebay for $600. Ran the new California scenery today (San Diego to Vancouver) handled it just fine. Larger screen is better for older eyes

J Smiley AH
Old November 21st 16, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 1:21:30 PM UTC-5, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 8:55:41 PM UTC+3, Tango Eight wrote:
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 12:14:25 PM UTC-5, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 7:54:56 PM UTC+3, Tango Eight wrote:
Can someone recommend a current 15" notebook with accelerated graphics that works well with Condor?

Anything. Literally anything you can buy new today that will run Windows. Even in a virtual machine such as VMWare Player, Parallels, or VirtualBox on a Mac or Linux.

Condor was written for top end machines circa 2000. That's a while back.

The problem is that Condor doesn't recognize the 3D graphics accelerator in many modern notebook computers. Hence my question. Thanks.

That sounds very strange. Newer cards don't support Direct X 7? It should be upwards compatible, I would have thought.

Maybe you just need to install correct drivers.

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewt...p?f=15&t=16647

I've got to replace a notebook computer anyway. One can buy a very powerful machine w/ Nvidia graphics for about $1000 (US) that ought to be spectacular in Condor. But I'd be annoyed if I did that and Condor thumbed its nose.

-Evan
Old November 21st 16, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 7:04:48 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

Interesting... just found new device drivers for my existing 2012 vintage laptop that will run Condor at an acceptable frame rate. Can't beat the price of that solution....

-Evan