Naviter Oudie 3

Old August 15th 13, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Naviter Oudie 3

The Oudie 3 is available.

http://www.craggyaero.com/oudie_3.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7owicxFXc

The Oudie 3 has an improved GPS, inculdes software, a non compensated vario and a 12 hour battery life. Software for hang gliders and paragliders or sailplanes can be loaded in the Oudie 3.

In stock

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old August 15th 13, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I also have Oudie 3 units in stock. I'll have them on my web site later
today.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old August 15th 13, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:59:15 AM UTC-6, wrote:
, 2013 10:49:11 AM UTC-4, Richard wrote:

The Oudie 3 is available.

Richard and Paul,
Thanks for posting. A few questions; Is the GPS of a high enough level where it could be approved for certain claims? Second, the screen shots look a little different than SYM version 3.5, is that because that is a hang/para-gliding version or is it running a new version of SYM? Lastly, will it be possible to upgrade some of the new features (Like the 12.5HR battery) to an Oudie 2.
Thanks
PS Richard, Enjoyed talking to you and your Oudie presentation at Nephi.
Old August 15th 13, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:22:49 PM UTC-7, K wrote:
On Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:59:15 AM UTC-6, wrote: , 2013 10:49:11 AM UTC-4, Richard wrote: The Oudie 3 is available. Richard and Paul, Thanks for posting. A few questions; Is the GPS of a high enough level where it could be approved for certain claims? Second, the screen shots look a little different than SYM version 3.5, is that because that is a hang/para-gliding version or is it running a new version of SYM? Lastly, will it be possible to upgrade some of the new features (Like the 12.5HR battery) to an Oudie 2. Thanks PS Richard, Enjoyed talking to you and your Oudie presentation at Nephi.

I believe the GPS and recorder are good enough for OLC. Screen shots are different because the software is for hanggliders and paragliders. It can accomodate the sailplane software I don't belive it will be possible to upgrade a current Oudie the case in the Oudie 3 is about 1" thick to accomodate the battery.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old August 15th 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:22:49 PM UTC-4, K wrote:
On Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:59:15 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Thanks for posting. A few questions; Is the GPS of a high enough level where it could be approved for certain claims?
Thanks

As far as getting the Oudie 3 approved as a "GPS Position Recorder" (as opposed to an IGC Approved Flight Recorder), that's certainly a possibility. This would allow it to be used for Silver/Gold badge claims. The two biggest things you would need to demonstrate (over and above all the usual IGC format and basic security stuff) a

- Projection: The device should not do any sort of "forward projection" if the signal is lost. This can be verified with a simple test conducted in a car.

- Accuracy/Consistency: The device should operate within the normal GPS position accuracy parameters in both lateral position and (more importantly) altitude. A good way to demonstrate this is to record a number of flights with the Oudie at the same time as an approved IGC FR. If one assumes that the IGC approved FR meets the "specs", then the GPS Position Recorder should be in relatively close agreement without a lot of spurious fixes, drops, etc.

If anyone is interested in running with this for the Oudie 3, please contact me offline.

Erik Mann
SSA B&R Committee Chair

Old August 16th 13, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

I'll second Kirk's comment on thanking Richard for his Oudie seminar at the
meet In Nephi Utah. It is fantastic when someone with his knowledge and
patience can give a class during a full on event. We all learned alot and
put it to good use the next day.
THANKS RICHARD!
Support CRAGGY AERO
Nick Kennedy
Glider T

At 19:49 15 August 2013, Richard wrote:
On Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:22:49 PM UTC-7, K wrote:

,=

=
is a hang/para-gliding version or is it running a new version of SYM?
Lastl=
y, will it be possible to upgrade some of the new features (Like the
12.5HR=
battery) to an Oudie 2. Thanks PS Richard, Enjoyed talking to you and
your=
Oudie presentation at Nephi.

I believe the GPS and recorder are good enough for OLC. Screen shots are
d=
ifferent because the software is for hanggliders and paragliders. It can
a=
ccomodate the sailplane software I don't belive it will be possible to
up=
grade a current Oudie the case in the Oudie 3 is about 1" thick to
accomoda=
te the battery. =20

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old August 16th 13, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Unfortunately, It is extremely unlikely that the IGC will approve the Oudie
3 for badges and records. They don't trust PDA/PNA devices because they
think someone could write software to intercept and change the GPS data
before it is recorded. I don't agree with them on this, but that is I
understand their position.

The Oudie 3 can either run the sailplane version of SeeYou Mobile or the
Paraglider / Hang Glider version of SeeYou Mobile. I show a few screen
shots of both on my Oudie web page.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm

I don't think Oudie or Oudie 2 units can be upgraded to Oudie 3 units.
There are many changes to the circuit boards to accommodate the pressure
sensor and different GPS. However, I don't think most glider pilots would
want to upgrade. The Oudie 3 is great for pilots that want to use it in
club or rental gliders, but customers using the Oudie 2 in their own glider
with an external GPS or flight computer connected have no reason to switch.
The vario in the Oudie 3 is a cool idea, but since it is not a total energy
compensated variometer, it is not nearly as useful as the varios you already
have in the glider. It will show lift every time you slow down and sink
every time you speed-up.

I am still added accessories to my Naviter web page. I'm also going to add
an Oudie comparison table. I hope to have everything done later today.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old August 16th 13, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Hi Paul,

While the device will not be approved as an IGC Flight Recorder, it is up to the individual NACs (the SSA for the US) to determine whether to approve them as GPS Position Recorders, which allows the device to be used for badges up to Gold. These devices do not need to live up to the full specifications for an FR, though they do need to provide some level of security that makes it impossible (or at least exceedingly painful) to modify a log file without it being obvious to the OO.

The SSA has already approved the FlyWithCE recorders as GPS Position Recorders. Hopefully the newer version of the Oudie will address the concerns that prevented the earlier versions from being similarly approved.

P3