Phantom flights?

Old November 17th 16, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Phantom flights?

Alex has been called out by the real OLC police:
OLC-Team:
"Hello Alex Krauss, or whatever your name is, please refrain from claiming flights, which are obviously generated by a simulator, leave that nonsense!

It makes no sense anyway, because these files are invalid anyway and are not scored in our ranking list. What you do is really stupid and useless."

I'm surprised the OLC team was not able to simply delete his "flights".

Thanks to OLC administrator Hannes for following up, and the others here that took the time to look at the "flights".

I know, I should get a life, but it's pouring rain up here and looking at OLC flights keeps me entertained....

Ron
Old November 18th 16, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

I tried several times to provide them with flight test data so that they could give me an accurate handicap for my home built tetra. Never got a response. Skylines was more than happy to work with me. I stopped posting to OLC 3 or 4 years ago
Old November 18th 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 6:20:35 PM UTC-7, Brad wrote:
I tried several times to provide them with flight test data so that they could give me an accurate handicap for my home built tetra. Never got a response. Skylines was more than happy to work with me. I stopped posting to OLC 3 or 4 years ago

Hi Brad.

Interested to see what polar you have measured for your Tetra. Any chance you can post here?

Mike Carris
Old November 18th 16, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Mike. There was a lot of scatter. But we're pretty confident it was getting over 40:1 with a stall speed of 37kts full flaps.
Brad
Old November 18th 16, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Brad,

If you're willing to share your data, I would just love to look into constructing a polar out of it.
I've done the same for my Pilatus B4 and for a modified Std Cirrus in the past.

regards,

Roel
Old November 18th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I prefer Skylines, too, mainly because I can use US units and it makes
keeping my logs up to date. I only started with OLC at the request of a
friend to add my paltry points to ABQ now Moriarty Soaring's score sheet.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 18th 16, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 5:40:53 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Yes, on the Moriarty flight he missed the runway completely and "landed" out in the scrub adjacent to the landing strip. Rookie mistake...

I did that on my one and only flight at Estrella sailport in a Grob twin in 1994. At the time I'd only been flying intensively for about two years, and that was in New Zealand, and I was not familiar with the concept of landing gliders on the "powered" (i.e. sealed) runway, so I landed on the best looking bit of "grass". Not exactly grass, but it was big enough and smooth enough. The locals seemed surprised, but fortunately not overly concerned.

More embarrassing was who was in the back.

I'd been doing some flying at Turf Soaring, on the other side of Phoenix, and decided one day to drive down and check out this other place. As I was walking to the clubhouse from my car I passed a 70ish but somehow familiar-looking gentleman walking the other way. "Afternoon", I said, and got an extremely plummy English "Good Afternoon" in response. I did a double-take, turned, and hesitantly "Um ... Mr Piggott?" "Yes?" After a couple of minutes chat we arranged to fly together the next day.

He remained completely silent during my landing. After we came to a stop he said "Well, I'll sign off a cross-country rating in this aircraft".
Old November 18th 16, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Funny Story Bruce. I had the same type of thing happen during my Commercial helicopter check ride. Was taking my check ride with one of the best helicopter test pilots in the world out of Falcon Field in AZ. We'll call him Rich and he flew for Boeing. A very windy day, we were heading out to the practice area when he rolled the throttle off, I immediately did a 180 into the wind and set up to put down on a dirt road. I kept thinking he will roll the throttle back on. Apparently Rich was thinking the same thing! I put it down and Rich calmly stated he would have bet $1,000 I would have rolled the throttle back up, I told him I thought the same thing. Then Rich told me that "well I think that covers the 180's and full down autos". Not sure if he ever told the factory we did an auto to a wash-boarded gravel road.

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 2:50:02 PM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
[...]

"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights" leckie1uk Military Aviation 0 September 25th 12 07:45 PM
Phantom Canuck[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 September 3rd 08 03:38 PM
Challenge: F-4 Phantom - "Phantom.jpg" (1/1) 117.1 kBytes yEnc Sam Shady Aviation Photos 0 August 5th 07 07:20 AM
Challenge: F-4 Phantom - "Phantom.jpg" (0/1) 117.1 kBytes yEnc Sam Shady Aviation Photos 0 August 5th 07 07:20 AM
uk phantom BILL Aviation Photos 0 April 22nd 07 12:12 AM