A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Schweizer 1-34 Tail Tie Down?

Old November 15th 16, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Schweizer 1-34 Tail Tie Down?

The manual is a bit vague on what fixture is used to tie down an SGS 1-34 tail. Almost every single seat Schweizer I can remember has some sort of eye bolt in the lower empennage area. What's the scoop with a 1-34? I'm not near the gliderport and the question came up in our club newsgroup.

p3
Old November 15th 16, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 4:09:44 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
The manual is a bit vague on what fixture is used to tie down an SGS 1-34 tail. Almost every single seat Schweizer I can remember has some sort of eye bolt in the lower empennage area. What's the scoop with a 1-34? I'm not near the gliderport and the question came up in our club newsgroup.

p3

Hole through the tail wheel bracket accepts tie down ring or bolt.
UH
Old November 16th 16, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie
external usenet poster

We had a NEW tail wheel bracket installed on that 1-34...there is no hole for a rope or bolt or anything...nobody has the heart to drill a hole into the new bracket...the mechanic didn't want to either...

Cookie

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 5:32:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:

p3

UH

Old November 16th 16, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 7:44:39 PM UTC-5, Cookie wrote:
We had a NEW tail wheel bracket installed on that 1-34...there is no hole for a rope or bolt or anything...nobody has the heart to drill a hole into the new bracket...the mechanic didn't want to either...

Cookie

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 5:32:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:

p3

UH

Drill baby drill
UH
Old November 16th 16, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 6:44:39 PM UTC-6, Cookie wrote:

Cookie

If you really don't want to drill a hole, how about a quick bit of outside the box thinking. Remove the axle bolt, take the tail wheel off, and put it in the cockpit. Put the axle bolt back in, and tie the rope around the axle bolt. No holes. Secured. May take an extra two minutes at the start and end of the day.

Just a thought...

Steve Leonard
Old November 16th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 9:41:45 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:

Cookie

If you really don't want to drill a hole, how about a quick bit of outside the box thinking. Remove the axle bolt, take the tail wheel off, and put it in the cockpit. Put the axle bolt back in, and tie the rope around the axle bolt. No holes. Secured. May take an extra two minutes at the start and end of the day.

Just a thought...

Steve Leonard

Another alternative is to weld a ring to the head of the axle bolt, onto which the tie down can be looped.
Old November 16th 16, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 6:59:11 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 9:41:45 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:

Cookie

Just a thought...

Steve Leonard

Another alternative is to weld a ring to the head of the axle bolt, onto which the tie down can be looped.

Perhaps going too far out of the box...
Chuck the rope around the tail boom?
Jim
Old November 17th 16, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 3:09:44 PM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:

p3

Does your 1-34 have a trailer? Every 1-34 trailer setup I've seen uses a bolt through holes in the tailwheel bracket to hold down the tail on the trailer. Perhaps, load the fuselage on it's trailer and see if a tail lockdown bracket is present, and drill appropriate holes as required...

Think of them as "lightening holes"...

Kirk