Shooting at helicopters, any proof? (Katrina)

Old September 4th 05, 06:27 PM
Dan Luke

"john smith" wrote:

If you are down by the Superdome and helicopters are circling, landing
and taking off, I don't think you need to shoot three times to get
attention when there are 30k+ people milling around.
Then again, it could be the NIMBY folks who don't want any aircraft
flying around their house, creating all that disturbing noise. :-))

In the five years I've been based at BFM, I've been warned three times
about aircraft being shot at near the departure end of rwy 14 at night.
Some people just like doimg that stuff, apparently.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 4th 05, 06:28 PM
Dan Luke

"Flyingmonk" wrote:

Can't answer that one, I don't think I've ever been fired at while I
was flying one.

How do you know?

Old September 4th 05, 06:55 PM
Bob Gardner

Do you think that the pilots can see the bullets whizzing by? Do you think
that they can hear the sound of shots while wearing headphones? Firing three
shots out in the wilderness makes sense...your suggestion is ludicruous.

Bob Gardner

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
oups.com...
1. Has any helicopter been shoot down during Katrina rescue attempt?
2. Has any helicopters returned with bullet holes? one bullet hole?

I'd say those people were shooting to get attention of the pilots.
When I was young, I was taught to shoot three times in the air if you
needed help.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 4th 05, 07:05 PM
john smith

Dan Luke wrote:
In the five years I've been based at BFM, I've been warned three times
about aircraft being shot at near the departure end of rwy 14 at night.
Some people just like doimg that stuff, apparently.

I have a acquaintance who is a retired crop duster.
He go shot at one time (he heard it hit and found the hole).
When he reported it to the police, they said there was nothing they
could do about as there was no law against it.
My acquaintance pursued it up the line to the state aviation director
who took it to the legislature.
The legislature wasn't going to do anything until they were advised that
the state highway patrol and other state agencies flew aircraft on state
business (including the governor).
Once this fact was made known to them the proceeded with haste to pass
the necessary legislation to outlaw shooting at aircraft.
Old September 4th 05, 07:22 PM
RomeoMike

Cripes, what state is that and what year?

Old September 4th 05, 07:24 PM
RomeoMike

Yes, but those doing the shooting may not know that.

Old September 4th 05, 07:37 PM
Flyingmonk

....and what did you understand my suggestion was? I did not suggest
that they should shoot to get attention nor did I suggest that they
should shoot at all. I merely suggested that, may have been WHY they
shot. I don't see that as being ludicrous, does anyone else here see
that as being ludicrous?

Old September 4th 05, 08:23 PM
Orval Fairbairn

Dan Luke wrote:
In the five years I've been based at BFM, I've been warned three times
about aircraft being shot at near the departure end of rwy 14 at night.
Some people just like doimg that stuff, apparently.

I have a acquaintance who is a retired crop duster.
He go shot at one time (he heard it hit and found the hole).
When he reported it to the police, they said there was nothing they
could do about as there was no law against it.
My acquaintance pursued it up the line to the state aviation director
who took it to the legislature.
The legislature wasn't going to do anything until they were advised that
the state highway patrol and other state agencies flew aircraft on state
business (including the governor).
Once this fact was made known to them the proceeded with haste to pass
the necessary legislation to outlaw shooting at aircraft.

Maybe the local yokels weren't interested, but the FBI certainly would
be! It is a federal offense to tamper with (or shoot at) an aircraft. In
today's environment, It would probably fall under anti-terrorism laws
and the shooter would be in DEEP doo-doo!
Old September 4th 05, 08:34 PM
houstondan

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f...25-1077495.php

dan

Old September 4th 05, 09:13 PM
john smith

RomeoMike wrote:
Cripes, what state is that and what year?

Ohio, circa early 1970's