LiFePO4 Batteries on sale.

Old November 24th 15, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LiFePO4 Batteries on sale.

bioennodepot.com is offering 15% off LiFePO4 glider batteries.

12V 9A only $85.00 bucks

If your old "Sealed Lead Acid" (SLA) needs replacing, here is an opportunity to get a 12 Volt 9 Amp hour LiFePO4 battery. I have been using these for several years and would never go back to SLA's.

Lots of RAS threads on LiFePO4 if you need more convincing.

These are a direct drop in replacement to your old 12V 7A battery but weigh only 2.6 pounds. Here's the link.

http://bioennodepot.com/bioenno-powe...lf-1209ws.html
Old November 24th 15, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 6:33:37 AM UTC-8, wrote:
bioennodepot.com is offering 15% off LiFePO4 glider batteries.

12V 9A only $85.00 bucks

If your old "Sealed Lead Acid" (SLA) needs replacing, here is an opportunity to get a 12 Volt 9 Amp hour LiFePO4 battery. I have been using these for several years and would never go back to SLA's.

Lots of RAS threads on LiFePO4 if you need more convincing.

These are a direct drop in replacement to your old 12V 7A battery but weigh only 2.6 pounds. Here's the link.

http://bioennodepot.com/bioenno-powe...lf-1209ws.html

Craggy Aero also offers the same discount.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lifepo_battery.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 24th 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 8:33:37 AM UTC-6, wrote:
bioennodepot.com is offering 15% off LiFePO4 glider batteries.

12V 9A only $85.00 bucks

If your old "Sealed Lead Acid" (SLA) needs replacing, here is an opportunity to get a 12 Volt 9 Amp hour LiFePO4 battery. I have been using these for several years and would never go back to SLA's.

Lots of RAS threads on LiFePO4 if you need more convincing.

These are a direct drop in replacement to your old 12V 7A battery but weigh only 2.6 pounds. Here's the link.

http://bioennodepot.com/bioenno-powe...lf-1209ws.html

Just noticed Craggy also sells a similar one for the same price.
http://www.craggyaero.com/lifepo_battery.htm
Old November 24th 15, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 8:33:37 AM UTC-6, wrote:
bioennodepot.com is offering 15% off LiFePO4 glider batteries.

12V 9A only $85.00 bucks

If your old "Sealed Lead Acid" (SLA) needs replacing, here is an opportunity to get a 12 Volt 9 Amp hour LiFePO4 battery. I have been using these for several years and would never go back to SLA's.

Lots of RAS threads on LiFePO4 if you need more convincing.

These are a direct drop in replacement to your old 12V 7A battery but weigh only 2.6 pounds. Here's the link.

http://bioennodepot.com/bioenno-powe...lf-1209ws.html

Dan, I use a 15 amp which fits in the battery box hole on my DG300 for the all instruments and a separate 9amp battery just for the transponder. This way if the transponder eats up all the juice from getting pinged, my instruments are still going. This has worked really well. I can get two "Nephi" long days out of the 15 amp. My operating load for all the toys combined is just under one Amp including the radio. Toy list, Becker 6201, Oudie, Butterfly Vario, Flarm Core with LX-Nav Display, Nano III, GoPro II & Cell Phone on Charge

Old November 24th 15, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 8:38:46 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Any idea if I had a solar panel for charging would I need some sort of controller to charge these LifePO4 batteries?

If your old "Sealed Lead Acid" (SLA) needs replacing, here is an opportunity to get a 12 Volt 9 Amp hour LiFePO4 battery. I have been using these for several years and would never go back to SLA's.

Lots of RAS threads on LiFePO4 if you need more convincing.

These are a direct drop in replacement to your old 12V 7A battery but weigh only 2.6 pounds. Here's the link.

http://bioennodepot.com/bioenno-powe...lf-1209ws.html

Craggy Aero also offers the same discount.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lifepo_battery.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Jonathan,

Yes it is absolutely necessary to have a controller specific to the LiFePO4 batteries. If you charge at the higher voltage that solar panel outputs you will fry the battery.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 28th 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 12:15:55 PM UTC-5, Richard wrote:
[...]

You will not "fry" the battery because the battery has protection circuitry built-in.
From the specs:
"Includes built-in PCM (protection circuit module) which provides balancing of internal cells, and protection from overcurrent, undervoltage (overdischarge), and overvoltage."

If the voltage is too high it will simply prevent it from charging. All that is required is a simple regulator like an LM317 to keep the voltage from the solar cell at ~15 Volts. Most solar cells rated for 12V will put out around 18 Volts in strong sunlight.
Old November 28th 15, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 9:52:42 AM UTC-8, Soartech wrote:
[...]

From the specs:
"Includes built-in PCM (protection circuit module) which provides balancing of internal cells, and protection from overcurrent, undervoltage (overdischarge), and overvoltage."

If the voltage is too high it will simply prevent it from charging. All that is required is a simple regulator like an LM317 to keep the voltage from the solar cell at ~15 Volts. Most solar cells rated for 12V will put out around 18 Volts in strong sunlight.

Soartech,

I agree on the protective circuit BUT it will not protect higher voltages for extend periods of time.

I had a LiFePO4 vendor send me the wrong charger 24 volts instead of 12v.. Fried 3 LiFePO4 batteries. They got big and leaked. You would not want this happening in your nice glider with solar panels. Solar panels can deliver 22 to 24 volts. Please use chargers that also have the protective circuits and around 12 to 14 volts. That is what is recommended by the manufactures of the LiFePO4 batteries.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 29th 15, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

I agree on the protective circuit BUT it will not protect higher voltages for extend periods of time.

Hmmm, sounds like a poorly designed protection circuit. It should recognize the charge voltage is too high and disconnect it from the battery.

Bioenno Power LiFePO4 12V Glider Batteries Paul Remde Soaring 13 April 21st 15 04:35 PM
K2 vs. StarkPower LiFePo4 batteries Fox Two[_2_] Soaring 36 April 16th 15 05:14 PM
LiFePO4 Batteries vontresc Soaring 56 June 27th 14 07:25 PM
Experience with StarkPower LIFEPo4 Batteries? Papa3[_2_] Soaring 15 May 7th 13 07:17 PM
LiFePO4 batteries JS Soaring 26 October 15th 12 02:51 PM