GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

Old November 3rd 19, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

We at Gliding International have just completed a three months study on the accident sitution in regard to our sport. We have examined (in detail) the 96 reported accidents which show that our problematic area of soaring flight relates to the landing phase.

We took note of all accidents from 1/1/2019 to 31/08/2019 which indicates for sure (on the conservative side) that fatalities for the calendar year of 2019 will be 43. No organisation or sport should turn a blind eye to what is obviously a totally unacceptable situation.

We haven't got an answer to this problem but we are open to discussion and be a catalyst for change.

Also in our November issue is a report from Sebastian Kawa who has personally set out to explain his recent serious accident. An uphill landing into a very questionable landing zone with no options. He must be complimented for writing his report on the accident for our sport enthusiasts. He tells all how to avoid a repetition of the problem. Basically the accident emanated from the failure of his motor to start. He has quoted the number of experiences he has personally experienced with motor failures and has started a war on brands of motors that must be regarded as totally unreliable.

JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR
Old November 3rd 19, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

=
[...]

One should never rely on the motor to start.........

Old November 3rd 19, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The engine's failure to start did not cause the accident.Â* The reliance
on the engine to start was one link in the accident chain.

--
Dan, 5J

Old November 3rd 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"No organisation or sport should turn a blind eye to what is obviously a totally unacceptable situation."
It is acceptable otherwise we wouldn't do it. If it is totally unacceptable we should have an immediate indefinite worldwide glider grounding. Be careful how you think and speak about these things.
Old November 3rd 19, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 3:04:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

The accident did not emanate from the failure of the motor to start. The accident emanated from the fact that the pilot entered into a situation in which there was not a security field for landing within reach of the glider.

Old November 3rd 19, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 11:26:11 AM UTC-8, Mike C wrote:
[...]

I thought that electric systems were very dependable.

Mike

So what?

Nobody is saying they are not. Even if you think a motorglider/sustainer engine will start reliably do you think it's sensible to assume it absolutely will and not have a landout option/plan B?

This is the most elementary basic safe operation of a motorglider 101 stuff..

Pretty stupid wording on "cause" used by Gliding International.
Old November 3rd 19, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 2:58:29 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Nobody is saying they are not. Even if you think a motorglider/sustainer
engine will start reliably do you think it's sensible to assume it absolutely
will and not have a landout option/plan B?

This is the most elementary basic safe operation of a motorglider 101 stuff.

No, you are flying a GLIDER.
**Plan A** must always be a safe land-out.
Plan B is in the event everything works as intended,
which certainly does not always happen...
Old November 3rd 19, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 12:58:29 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Chuckle.

Never said I thought that. Never have been in a motor glider just thought that the electric system was very reliable, and am surprised to hear that they are not.

Mike