East Coast Ridge Soaring

Old December 12th 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Frawley

Default East Coast Ridge Soaring

Hi

I am planning to come to the East Coast area next spring and travelling around for a couple of months.

Looking for some recommendation on where the best ridge soaring might be and what glider(s)to approach.

I still have my US private pilot licence, but not yet converted to US Gliding licence, so might consider that also.

I am a coach with the GFA in Australia, 700+ hours and state and national competition wins and podiums.

All pointers welcome.

Regards

Richard
Old December 13th 19, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 4:33:55 PM UTC-5, Richard Frawley wrote:
Hi

I am planning to come to the East Coast area next spring and travelling around for a couple of months.

Looking for some recommendation on where the best ridge soaring might be and what glider(s)to approach.

I still have my US private pilot licence, but not yet converted to US Gliding licence, so might consider that also.

I am a coach with the GFA in Australia, 700+ hours and state and national competition wins and podiums.

All pointers welcome.

Regards

Richard

Richard,

IMHO, Ridge Soaring in Julian, Pennsylvania run by Tom Knauff and Doris Grove is the best place for long ridge flights. The conditions can run from mild or gentle to 'knock my wings off' rough. Many 1,000km have originated from there. Your milage may vary .... ;-)

Uli
'AS'
Old December 13th 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'll second Ridge Soaring. It has the added bonus of an inexpensive bunkhouse at the field. Depending on available space, you may be able to leave your glider rigged in a hanger for a reasonable fee.

Aeroclub Albatross in New Jersey has a pretty hardcore group of ridge flyers.

Old December 13th 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 11:03:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I'll second Ridge Soaring. It has the added bonus of an inexpensive bunkhouse at the field. Depending on available space, you may be able to leave your glider rigged in a hanger for a reasonable fee.

Aeroclub Albatross in New Jersey has a pretty hardcore group of ridge flyers.

Definitely Ridge Soaring. I own the ASW-19 that Doris Grove used to own when she became the first woman in the US to make a 1000km flight.

Paul A.
Old December 14th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Hey dude...take down the photo...it’s annoyingly obnoxious and portrays you as a goofball.

Old December 17th 19, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Will Ridge Soaring be operating as a full service (weather permitting) seven day a week commercial glider operation in 2020?
Old December 17th 19, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thats a good question. Id like to know that as well since I would like to come up there this spring for some mid week soaring. I know its been up for sale for awhile now.