1-26 Racing

Old October 26th 19, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1-26 Racing

I have been reading some of the stories of the 1-26 Championships of years past. The Mockler boys and others who went on to racing higher performance ships cut their teeth doing these highly competative races.

Maybe some of you big wing boys (18-20m) might want to consider joining us for some fantasticly competative racing this next year at the 2020 Championships at Sunflower KS.

If your tired of arguments over ever changing rules and having ever increasing costs to be competative, you can have the same (many times more) challenges while never being more than 80 miles from home base.

And if you think 1-26 racing is for newbies or the competition is not first rate, let me tell you, some of these guys who have been racing for more than 40 years in the same bird, will teach you a thing or two about going fast and going long. You will be racing within a field of 20 or more competators, of which more than a dozen competing are past and multi time champions.

At the end of 7 days of competition, if you come in toward the back of the pack, you surely won’t be able to say its due to not having the highest performance ship. And if you score toward the top of the list you will know that it was due solely to your piloting skill. Its the only true man against man (and woman) one design racing that exists, no handicap arguments/advantages.

I can guarantee you can not have any more fun as well as challenge anywhere.. In addition, first time 1-26 competators have NO entry fee, even if you have been racing glass for years. There is also a team competition for two or three pilots sharing the same machine.

Old November 4th 19, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Looks like I will be restoring a nice B model this spring. She should be done by race time. If any of you high performance guys would like to get a taste of 1-26 racing I will make this bird available to you. You have to trailer her there however since I will be pulling my other 1-26.

Drop me a line if interested.
Old November 4th 19, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 2:11:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I have had the pleasure of attending two recent national 1-26 championships as a spectator guest. This is the best bunch of guys in the soaring community, it doesn't get any better. One of the old timers that I knew well and flew with was Harry Senn, from Miami. He had his 1-26 ready for takeoff on many days, trying to cross the Everglades on his way North.
Last year while in Moriarty I was there during the 1-26 championship and met a good fella with a nice 1-26 named Bulldog. These guys and gals were getting their ships tuned up for the week of racing. What a good bunch of competitors. Bob
Old November 4th 19, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob I never had the pleasure of meeting Harry but I have been chasing many of the records he put up in the SE region. He made some incredable FL flights!

This last year I had the pleasure of racing in the Moriarty Nationals. Pete is the fellow with Bulldog, really great guy. I was racing #225 red n white A model, had a ball n reworked my gold distance on a pre race flight. You cant ask for greater flying and greater guys!
Old November 5th 19, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 2:54:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Bob I never had the pleasure of meeting Harry but I have been chasing many of the records he put up in the SE region. He made some incredable FL flights!

This last year I had the pleasure of racing in the Moriarty Nationals. Pete is the fellow with Bulldog, really great guy. I was racing #225 red n white A model, had a ball n reworked my gold distance on a pre race flight. You cant ask for greater flying and greater guys!

Harry was a meteorologist with the National Hurricane Service in Coral Gables and knew the weather better than most everyone. Back in 1983 I made a flight that was depicted in Soaring magazine, May 1983 edition. Harry provided me with the weather information and satellite photo's for the article,Catching A Florida Wave.
Harry would start out of the gliderport just south of Miami and make some very respectable flights. Us guys in the fancy glass ships would root for Harry.
With regard to the Bulldog, I was walking close to the glider when I heard the sound of a barking bulldog. The owner of Bulldog had a small toy bulldog that was battery operated and made a loud barking sound, it was funny. What a great bunch of guys and gals!
Old November 5th 19, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

the sound of a barking bulldog. The owner of Bulldog had a small toy bulldog that was battery operated and made a loud barking sound, it was funny. What a great bunch of guys and gals!

And the story of Bulldog is even better. Named that and painted the color it is because it was put together by a high school shop class and painted and named for the school mascot.

Kevin
formerly 192
now just 92

Old November 5th 19, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Curt Lewis - 95

I could not agree more with this post! I have flown (4) 1-26 Championships and will continue to fly ever one I can get to. Some of the best times I've had in competitive soaring. Amazing pilots and people.

Curt
1-26B #216
Genesis 2 #95
Old November 5th 19, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Cool info.
Pete and Judy flew with us many years ago. I cherish the time they spent with our club before they moved close to Chicago, then further southwest.

Yes, this class racing is rather level (I am part owner of 002, have flown against Ron Schwartz and others over the decades).

Hope to get my butt kicked at a 1-26 Nats at some point....LOL...

Old November 12th 19, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 2:54:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Bob I never had the pleasure of meeting Harry but I have been chasing many of the records he put up in the SE region. He made some incredable FL flights!

This last year I had the pleasure of racing in the Moriarty Nationals. Pete is the fellow with Bulldog, really great guy. I was racing #225 red n white A model, had a ball n reworked my gold distance on a pre race flight. You cant ask for greater flying and greater guys!

Hopefully I will be in Kansas in 2020 to once again visit the 1-26 nationals, kind of making it a yearly venture. We do have a new glider pilot in our club that is 1-26 crazy and is in the market for a good D or E model. I can see this guy getting interested in 1-26 racing. Let me know if you know of anything good available. Bob

Racing Casey[_2_] Soaring 31 August 14th 16 10:15 PM
Art of Racing, concluded - Langelle - Glen Martin Racing.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 February 28th 10 09:22 PM
The Art of Racing Mitchell Holman[_4_] Aviation Photos 2 February 28th 10 03:06 PM
The Art of Racing - Corning - Beach Racing Oldfield.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 February 27th 10 01:42 PM