OLC Scoring Question

Old December 28th 05, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OLC Scoring Question

I just uploaded a flight to the OLC-USA for 2005-12-27 with a score of
204.23 points. But then I went over to the OLC Champion and
Statistics: All Flights pages, and I only got 77.64 points. I know
it's probably not an error; but I would like to know why it did that.

Chris

Old December 28th 05, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

charlie foxtrot wrote:
I just uploaded a flight to the OLC-USA for 2005-12-27 with a score of
204.23 points. But then I went over to the OLC Champion and
Statistics: All Flights pages, and I only got 77.64 points. I know
it's probably not an error; but I would like to know why it did that.

Chris

You are looking at the triangle flights (bottom blue line). Go one line
up. Your flight is there.

Yes, the OLC website is not well designed.
Old December 28th 05, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chris,

I looked at the OLC-USA page and the Statistics: All Flights pages and
it shows 204 points for you on both.

Nice flight. Wave from the mountain ridge west of El Paso?

-ted/2NO

Old December 28th 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Looking at your flight trace, you were getting some very nice wave from
that mountain range. I see you gained 10,000' while flying barely 5 or
6 miles as traced on the ground!

You fly with transponder I assume?

~ted/2NO

Old December 28th 05, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ted,

No Xponder. ATC in El Paso gives me a Mode-C waiver whenever I ask for
it, as long as I stay in radio contact with them for the entire time
that I am within the lateral boundaries of the ELP Class C airspace
below 10,000 feet MSL. They're good people.

The mountain range to the west of my flight was producing the wave.
There was still good lift at 18,000 feet. There is a Wave Box about 50
miles north of us over Alamogordo, New Mexico. The good news was that
ATC said they would be able to open it for me, but the bad news was
that the Restricted Airspace between me and the Wave Box was closed.
Oh well ... maybe next time!

Thanks to you, Greg, and Tom (via e-mail) for helping me clear up the
OLC scoring question.

Ps: What's the latest with the Region 9 competetion?

Chris

Old December 29th 05, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chris,

Yes I remember the El Paso ATC folks well. I flew from El Tiro to El
Paso last June (2004) and had to talk to the tower to get across El
Paso to the West Texas Apt. It was the first time I'd ever had to talk
to a tower (it was my 13th x/c flight) and I remember being as nervous
as a cat in a roomfull of rocking chairs. They really put me at ease.

Fortunately the conditions were great that day and I never got below
11,000' over the Class C.

Region 9 at Turf will happen (May 28 - 3 June). The budget goes before
the ASA board for approval next week. Look for a formal announcement
here soon.

~ted/2NO