Why do pilots need a medical

Old November 18th 05, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Why do pilots need a medical

Skylune wrote:
I just wanted to point out that to the person that originally raised the
question was completely mistaken in his premise: You cannot drive a
20,000 lb truck around without passing physicals that are stricter than
those required for certificated private pilots.

OK, you made the point truck driver physicals are stricter than those
for a private pilot. Twice.

You still did not answer Steve Foley's question posted on 11/17/05:
"Why should drug testing be mandatory for private pilots?"

As a reminder, Steve F. was responding to your statement of 11/17/05:
"Drug testing should be mandatory for PPLs, and random drug testing s/b
part of FAA ramp checks."

The question still stands. Expanding on your statement and Steve
Foley's question:
1. Why do you believe drug testing should be mandatory for private pilots?
2. Why should random drug testing be part of an FAA ramp check?

If you have supporting arguments post them to the newsgroup. Simply
stating truck drivers have stricter physical requirements or drug
testing should be mandatory for private pilots are not reasons by
themselves. Supporting information is required.

Steve A.

Old November 19th 05, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
The 26' Uhaul truck has a gross weight of 20,000 lb according to their
website. I rented this truck once, and I don't have a CDL.

And have driven them across state borders, never stopped an inspection
station either...

And you were very likely breaking the law.

As far as the weigh stations laws go, I'm not sure, but I think you have to
be a commercial vehicle to have to stop, unless it says All Trucks, then it
might be a briefing type of thing, for mountains, or the like.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 19th 05, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"George Patterson" wrote

Four of the five box-on-frame trucks U-Haul rents exceed this and two

exceed
12,500. No mention on their site that I could find about license

requirements.

Budget truck rentals says specifically that you do not need a CDL for even
their 24 foot truck. I must admit, I don't understand it.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 19th 05, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Martin wrote:

The FAA wouldn't bother with the
third-class waiver because of that.

The Faa will grant a waiver for 3rd class just as readily as for 1st. If there's
a difference, it may be that the holder of a 1st class certificate will take the
steps necessary to get the waiver more readily than the holder of a 3rd class will.

George Patterson
If a tank is out of ammunition, what you have is a sixty ton portable
radio.
Old November 19th 05, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:41:13 -0800, Steve A
wrote:

Supporting information is required.

Since when has that been a Usenet requirement? Most of what's posted
here is personal opinion.

Here's a proposition for you: drug testing should be a requirement to
get a driver's license, and random drug testing should be part of a
state's pull-over program.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old November 19th 05, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:06:48 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

As far as the weigh stations laws go,

In New Hampshire, I don't think I've ever seen a weigh station that
was open. They get used a lot, though: truckers pull in there for a
snooze.

Old November 19th 05, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...
The 26' Uhaul truck has a gross weight of 20,000 lb according to their
website. I rented this truck once, and I don't have a CDL.

In Massachusetts, the standard driver's license is good for up to 26,000
pounds gross.
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/dmanual/chapter1.pdf

--Gary

Old November 19th 05, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
PPL = nothing in the USA - we have certificates, not licenses.

A license is just a document that confers permission to do something that
would otherwise be prohibited. A pilot certificate is therefore a license.

--Gary

Old November 20th 05, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Sylvain wrote:

zatatime wrote:

Hearing and Diabetes are two on the top of my head that I know of
which happened recently.

I doubt that you can get a waiver that would be valid for class-I but
not for class-III; as for hearing, there is a Deaf Pilots Association
(http://www.deafpilots.com/) which might disagree with your premise...

The FAA allows the use of Avandia, which is for the treatment of type II
diabetes. What is an absolute no-no (AFAIK) is any condition severe enough to
warrant the use of insulin.

Insulin users can get a waiver, but it takes a lot of paperwork and good
control. Met a guy with an accu-check yoke mounted!

Margy

Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
Delta Pilots End Era of Luxurious Pay Peter MacPherson Piloting 42 November 18th 04 05:46 AM
What's minimum safe O2 level? PaulH Piloting 29 November 9th 04 07:35 PM
Israeli Air Force to lose Middle East Air Superiority Capability to the Saudis in the near future Jack White Military Aviation 71 September 21st 03 02:58 PM