Best club and commercial web sites

Old September 12th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vsoars

Default Best club and commercial web sites

Which clubs and commercial operations have outstanding web sites that
make people eager to give soaring a try? Out of date sites with
pictures that don’t include recent improvements and photographs that
are obviously from another decade can’t help us recruit members.
Great web sites can. Please give us some inspiration.
Old September 12th 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Sep 11, 6:01*pm, Vsoars wrote:
Which clubs and commercial operations have outstanding web sites that
make people eager to give soaring a try? *Out of date sites with
pictures that don’t include recent improvements and *photographs that
are obviously from another decade can’t help us recruit members.
Great web sites can. *Please give us some inspiration.

My club's site falls into the not so inspiring category, so I will
nominate one from an op that has a goodn to get it started:
http://www.crosscountrysoaring.com/index.html Good thread topic!

-Paul
Old September 12th 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

My attempt is www.whisperingwings.org.za

It generates a lot of traffic, has 34 back links (good measure of success) and keeps people informed.
Alexa page rank is 3 - also a good measure.

That said it is now two years old and about to get a heart transplant.

Unfortunately the "new" ships in the fleet are a 37 year old Kestrel T59D (19m Slingsby built version) and a 38 year old
Std Cirrus. Last decade is nothing on the trainers, 1956 and 1964 - still going strong but not very sexy.

Bruce

Old September 12th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers

http://www.soarccsc.com/index.shtml
Old September 12th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

I believe PGC's website is pretty good, thanks to my partner's
efforts, KK.

http://www.pgcsoaring.org/Index.html

Chip Fitzpatrick

Old September 12th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Brennan

At 01:01 12 September 2008, Vsoars wrote:
Which clubs and commercial operations have outstanding web sites that
make people eager to give soaring a try? Out of date sites with
pictures that don=92t include recent improvements and photographs that
are obviously from another decade can=92t help us recruit members.
Great web sites can. Please give us some inspiration.

Take a look at:
www.sosaglidingclub.com
John B.

Old September 12th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

www.asa-soaring.org

The Arizona Soaring Association site is, beyond a doubt, the best club
soaring site out there. It was originally crafted from the ground up
by member Nigel Cripps and is now in the able hands of member Ted
Wagner. The site has numerous cool features including a great chat
area. The pictures on the home page are changed every month or two to
keep it interesting. We have some distant club members who regularly
pay annual dues to the club just for the right to fully access our
discussion forum -- which at times becomes quite lively. Our website,
more than anything else, has kept ASA together through trying times
over the last few years.

Steve Koerner
www.wingrigger.com
Old September 12th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

You didn't give an address:

http://www.asa-soaring.org/

Lots of good info, but could be improved with lots of big pictures; I'd
vote for the SOSA page on that account.

It appears to me that the ASA page is directed more towards members (not
quite a blog), and the SOSA page is directed more towards the public as
advertisment.

Old September 12th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Kellett

Skyline Soaring CLub in Virginia www.skylinesoaring.org is right up
there, and while it's attractive to newbies, it's primary focus is
meeting members' interests and needs. It's actually more than a club
website, since the Club owns/manages the server which, in turn hosts a
whole bunch of Club goodies, e.g.:

1. The website itself, with several layers of highly secure limited
access section (e.g., for instructors, members, Directors, etc.)
2. Automatically records all the Club's operational and financial
records, updats them electronically from a laptop at the field after
each operating day. Then provides huge database for mining for
management information.
3. Houses a sophisticated instructional progress tracking system
(available through the secured "Instructors" section of the "Members
Only" website.
4. Repository for Club documents
5. Distribution system for the newsletter "Skylines".

Old September 12th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Logajan

Vsoars wrote:
Which clubs and commercial operations have outstanding web sites that
make people eager to give soaring a try?

www.youtube.com

Okay - not the organization type you were asking for. But it was an
influence on me. I was already considering taking flying lessons and was
already leaning toward glider training - but was rather hesitant. Some of
the better glider videos I found on YouTube were a factor in making the
final decision. I found the "first person" videos made from inside the
cockpit to be the most compelling. In particular if the camera was scanned
around, that helped give me a perspective on how it might feel to be
inside. I book marked a few, and while the ones below aren't the best
videos, nor all first-person views, they are representative of the kind
that influenced my decision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pZ5dTntBxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcneOD6HYgc
http://www.vimeo.com/739603