antenna dilemma

Old September 25th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

Default antenna dilemma

In article bikensoar writes:
On May 25, 5:57=A0pm, Brad wrote:
My buddies tell me my handheld is too painfull to listen to anymore. I
would put in a panel mount, but since I have a mostly carbon aircraft,
where should I put the antenna? Too late to install it in the rudder,
or is there a solution that would allow me to install one in the
rudder??

I think the main issue with the handheld, is line-of-sight from the
antenna to who I am talking to, it works fine when the aircraft is
pointing towards them, or they are on the side of the glider the radio
is on, but as I turn (while thermalling) I am told the transmissions
cut out.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

The all carbon Sparrowhawks have a little external antenna on the
bottom of the fuselage, just behind the main gear.
It can be twisted off and removed similar to a handheld antenna. It
works very well.

George

(yes old, but antennas came up again recently)

I would think that an antenna sticking *down* is a poorer choice than
one sticking up from the top of the aircraft. Down does pretty poorly
when on the ground, and is at extra risk of damage.

Has anyone measured the drag from a simple 1/4 wave wire monopole
sticking up from the aircraft?

Alan