Substandard Italian workmanship renders first 787s unsafe

Old June 27th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Substandard Italian workmanship renders first 787s unsafe

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

And FYI, digital devices also have tolerances for things like rise time
and slew rate to name just a couple.

Those are analog devices used to implement digital systems. Digital systems do
not have such characteristics; they always exist in one of a finite number of
discrete states.

Totally and absolutely wrong.

Here is the Texax Instruments data sheet for the 7400 series quad nand gates,
one of the most basic of all digital devices:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ls00.pdf

You will see lots of characteristics there with MIN/TYP/MAX values.

Here is the Intel data sheet for the Celeron processor:

http://download.intel.com/design/mob...hts/320389.pdf

You will see lots of characteristics there with MIN/TYP/MAX values.

So it seems we can add electronic components to the long list of things
that you think you know all about yet no in-depth knowledge what so ever.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 27th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

Totally and absolutely wrong.

Here is the Texax Instruments data sheet for the 7400 series quad nand gates,
one of the most basic of all digital devices:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ls00.pdf

You will see lots of characteristics there with MIN/TYP/MAX values.

Here is the Intel data sheet for the Celeron processor:

http://download.intel.com/design/mob...hts/320389.pdf

You will see lots of characteristics there with MIN/TYP/MAX values.

Those are all analog components, like all physical components.
Old June 27th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Totally and absolutely wrong.

Here is the Texax Instruments data sheet for the 7400 series quad nand gates,
one of the most basic of all digital devices:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ls00.pdf

You will see lots of characteristics there with MIN/TYP/MAX values.

Here is the Intel data sheet for the Celeron processor:

http://download.intel.com/design/mob...hts/320389.pdf

You will see lots of characteristics there with MIN/TYP/MAX values.

Those are all analog components, like all physical components.

A 7400 NAND gate and a Celeron processor are analog components?

You have gone over the edge and are now officially insane.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 27th 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

VOR-DME wrote:
In article ,
says...

A 7400 NAND gate and a Celeron processor are analog components?

You have gone over the edge and are now officially insane.

Sorry, but MX is partially right on this.
Components like logic gates implement discrete logic conditions, but the
performance characteristics you mention are analog device performance, by
definition.

So why is he only "partially right"? Because he started by saying that digital
devices do not have measurable performance criteria for aadherence to
specifications and tolerances. This is a completely incorrect and grossly
uniformed assertion. Sampling errors, encoding noise, jitter, encoding
artifacts aliasing, time domain artifacts just to sart with the simplest
basics, and when we get to coding strength fidelity we could go on for pages
about measurable performance characteristics in the purely digital domain.
These are real-world performance criteria used every day by engineers
in application of performace tolerances. Totally out of MX's depth though.

You can call the parameters I mentioned analog if you like, but real world
digital systems are characterized by more than on and off, have numerous
measurable performance characteristics, and the data sheets I refenced reflect
that.

MX never bothered to read the references as he is a self proclaimed expert
on every subject.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 27th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
VOR-DME wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Your experience is the same as my own.

MX never bothered to read the references as he is a self proclaimed expert
on every subject.

Exasperating!

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Peter

Old June 27th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Jun 27, 6:28*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
wrote in message

VOR-DME wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

MX is especially expert at playing a tune to which many otherwise
intelligent (at least I think so) people are willing to dance.
Remember the puppet scene in the movie Chicago?

Old June 27th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

A 7400 NAND gate and a Celeron processor are analog components?

Yes. Just about everything physical is analog.
Old June 27th 10, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

VOR-DME writes:

So why is he only "partially right"? Because he started by saying that digital
devices do not have measurable performance criteria for aadherence to
specifications and tolerances.

Uh, no. It's just that tolerances aren't meaningful for digital systems, since
they are either perfect, or completely defective.

For example, when a digital calculator adds 2 and 2, it either gets 4--the
correct answer--or it doesn't. There is no such thing as an answer "between
3.8 and 4.2," so tolerances are not meaningful.

When a PC writes a byte onto a disk drive, the byte is either written, or it's
not. There's no such thing as a half-written byte.

The nature of digital systems is still poorly understood in most of the
aviation industry, and this has serious implications for aviation safety, with
the increasing use of computers. Digital systems are not being tested properly
or thoroughly, and eventually this will kill people (it probably already has).

"Aircraft Unsafe, Do Not Fly" T8 Soaring 2 April 13th 10 08:24 PM
Relief Tube Housing - Unsafe Tim Taylor Soaring 12 June 18th 09 09:30 PM
renders [email protected] Restoration 0 April 25th 04 03:35 AM
Your Italian Consultant, your italian business opportunity Techenquire.com Products 2 January 12th 04 08:08 AM
Your Italian Consultant, your italian business opportunity Techenquire.com Aviation Marketplace 0 January 5th 04 02:10 PM