Themi

Old December 17th 04, 11:40 PM

Now, you probably wouldn't call me an 'expert', Chip, but I'll give it
a try anyway:
WinPilot Pro has a 'climb maximizer that comes on when you start
circling. I didn't spend money on it since it was part of the package.
It does pretty much what "Themi" claims (same algorithm?). It gives
you an audio tone to fly straight for a little and by doing so guides
you to the center of the thermal. There is an elaborate and well made
graphic on the IPAQ panel but we keep our eyes outside the cockpit,
don't we! Comments: it works well and the prompts come when I would
normally initiate moving my circle. When losing the thermal it shows
an arrow of varying lenght to guide you back. Look at the WinPilot
website for details. Best thing: you can turn it off!
Herbert, J7

wrote:
Being forced to fly occasionally in blue conditions and often finding
myself low on course, I found this to be an intriguing concept
(ignoring the fact that it's yet another way to increase the cost of
competition). But I hadn't heard that any "name" pilots were using it
apart from Tom's tests.

Does anyone know of any experts who have given it the official stamp

of
approval (i.e., by actually spending his/her own money to buy one)?
Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old December 18th 04, 02:34 AM

Herbert,

You finish above me often enough that I'm paying attention.

Seriously, I've heard at least one other good contest pilot also sing
the praises of WinPilot's climb maximizer. I'm intrigued, but dissuaded
by the cost of upgrading to an IPAQ (from my handful of 1500s)
including the assorted cables and brackets, and the software itself
(from GNII). Oh, and as I understand it, to get the climb maximizer
feature, I'd also have to "upgrade" from my old reliable LNAV to a 302
or investigate the SN-10 or Borgelt.

As it is, I've got to buy a backup flight recorder before next season
after not one but two hardware failures during the past two seasons.

But it's interesting to think about over the U.S. winter. Thanks for
the input.

Chip

Old December 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Tony Verhulst

It does pretty much what "Themi" claims (same algorithm?). It gives
you an audio tone to fly straight for a little and by doing so guides
you to the center of the thermal.

How do I interface this with my auto pilot?

Tony "tongue only slightly in cheek" V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING
Old December 18th 04, 06:36 AM
Eric Greenwell

Tony Verhulst wrote:

It does pretty much what "Themi" claims (same algorithm?). It gives
you an audio tone to fly straight for a little and by doing so guides
you to the center of the thermal.

How do I interface this with my auto pilot?

Tony "tongue only slightly in cheek" V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING

You buy an ASH 25, talk Karl S., Gary I, or some such to sit in the back
seat and wait untill he says "you auto turn left[right] ..." as needed.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 18th 04, 03:54 PM

If you are interested in learning more about the WinPilot Climb
Maximizer and WinPilot Software. See my website www.craggyaero.com and
give me a call.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old December 18th 04, 04:49 PM

Richard,

Since you are getting plenty free advertising out of this thread, how
about giving me the next WinPilot Pro update for free? I'm getting
sick of paying $50 each year to stay ahead of the Jones'es, Bearden's
et al...

Herbert, J7

Old December 18th 04, 08:33 PM
Doug Cline

I have used the Climb Maximizer feature in Winpilot Pro for the past 5
seasons and have found it to be a remarkably effective guide for optimizing
climb rate in thermals. The Climb maximizer audio feature, coupled with seat
of your pants sensing of vertical acceleration, provide a safe and reliable
heads-up guide to thermalling. Multicore thermals can confuse interpretation
of the audio signals but this is ameliorated by a quick glance at the
WinPilot visual display.
Doug V

ups.com...

Old December 19th 04, 09:19 PM
Jim Kelly

One thing to note FWIW:

WinPilot only helps with thermal centering when a (select list
of) panel-mounted varios is available to act as a source for very
accurate pressure changes, adjusted to compensate for stick-lift,
etc, by the use of the TE tube, etc. Their 'Advanced' product
gives almost all functionality of the 'Pro' and gets it's info
from any GPS - but does not provide thermal centering advice.
Pity.

1. If Winpilot thinks GPS info is an inadequate source for
predicting thermal centres, how can THEMI do it reliably???

or

2. Perhaps Winpilot could add this functionality to their Advance
product so that those of us flying without access to a
professional electronic vario (and hence unable to use Winpilot
*Pro*) can get at least as good a thermal centering functionality
as THEMI provides!!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

"Doug Cline" wrote in message
I have used the Climb Maximizer feature in Winpilot Pro for the
past 5
seasons and have found it to be a remarkably effective guide for
optimizing
climb rate in thermals. The Climb maximizer audio feature,
coupled with seat
of your pants sensing of vertical acceleration, provide a safe
and reliable
heads-up guide to thermalling. Multicore thermals can confuse
interpretation
of the audio signals but this is ameliorated by a quick glance at
the
WinPilot visual display.
Doug V

ups.com...

Old December 19th 04, 09:40 PM
Ramy Yanetz

Ditto. I am asking for this and similar features already available in SeeYou
(such as color coded trace to help you find the best lift) on the winpilot
forum for some time now with no response.
I can't think of a technical reason not to provide this functionality using
GPS/logger source if seeyou and Themi can. Or alternatively, will winpilot
pro work with GPS only source?

Ramy

"Doug Cline" wrote in message
I have used the Climb Maximizer feature in Winpilot Pro for the
past 5
seasons and have found it to be a remarkably effective guide for
optimizing
climb rate in thermals. The Climb maximizer audio feature,
coupled with seat
of your pants sensing of vertical acceleration, provide a safe
and reliable
heads-up guide to thermalling. Multicore thermals can confuse
interpretation
of the audio signals but this is ameliorated by a quick glance at
the
WinPilot visual display.
Doug V

ups.com...

Old December 20th 04, 08:57 PM
Jim Kelly

Ramy,

I often wonder if WinPilot users know about the WinPilot forum
called the "Design Studio"
http://www.winpilot.com/DesignStudio.asp

The ideas and discussions presented there have been excellent
from time to time - in some ways a pity that it has taken the
discussion away from this more general group (RAS). I'd urge all
WinPilot users to log on and join in. It must be a very fertile
development ideas ground for Jerry and his team, and we all
benefit as the product improves. It's a good place to share tips
and tricks etc, too. Summer is just getting under way here in
Australia with many camps and comps beginning from 26th Dec
onwards, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next version
delivers, and trust it happens very soon!

Season's greetings to all,

Jim Kelly

"Doug Cline" wrote in message
I have used the Climb Maximizer feature in Winpilot Pro for the
past 5
seasons and have found it to be a remarkably effective guide
for
optimizing
climb rate in thermals. The Climb maximizer audio feature,
coupled with seat
of your pants sensing of vertical acceleration, provide a safe
and reliable
heads-up guide to thermalling. Multicore thermals can confuse
interpretation
of the audio signals but this is ameliorated by a quick glance
at
the
WinPilot visual display.
Doug V

ups.com...

wrote:
Being forced to fly occasionally in blue conditions and
often
finding
myself low on course, I found this to be an intriguing
concept
(ignoring the fact that it's yet another way to increase the
cost of
competition). But I hadn't heard that any "name" pilots were
using it
apart from Tom's tests.

Does anyone know of any experts who have given it the
official stamp

of
approval (i.e., by actually spending his/her own money to
buy
one)?
Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Using a Pocket PC to download Themi flight logs Paul Remde Soaring 5 September 14th 04 07:29 AM
Themi thermal locator John Jones Soaring 5 April 30th 04 04:16 AM
Feedback ? JJ Sinclair Soaring 3 October 20th 03 10:18 PM
FS: Themi, thermal centering device Robt Salvo Soaring 4 August 31st 03 01:27 AM