OSH Go Arounds

Old March 27th 05, 12:51 AM
George Patterson

Dave Stadt wrote:

The guy on the radio is an FAA controller. The guy with the flag is a
volunteer. Damnit out ranks a flag.

That's an example of the attitude that destroyed a priceless Corsair a few years
back.

George Patterson
Drink up, Socrates -- it's all-natural.
Old March 27th 05, 03:18 AM
jsmith

My bad... I was landing 09 with the setting sun to my back.

Jay Honeck wrote:
We were landing 27 and the other runway in use of 36.
I added power and pitched out to the north (left).
There was no conflicting traffic, it was just like entering left downwind
for reentry.

Eh? I'm with Jack on this one -- you must've been landing on 09 for a turn
to the north to have been a left turn.

Knock on wood, I haven't had to in initiate a go-around at OSH. In any
event, as for procedures, I would do precisely what the controller tells me
to do.

Old March 27th 05, 05:10 AM
Jay Honeck

I think the most fun at OSH for a volunteer is the point on RWY 9-27
just after the airshow. I would think it comes closest to what working
on an aircraft carrier deck must be like (on dry land). I know the
controllers like it. It is a thing of beauty when it works right.

Agreed. And it's a real mess when something or someone goes stupid.

All in all, however, it's usually a remarkable ground & aerial ballet, with
everyone working in perfect harmony and unison.

Thanks for making it work!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 05, 05:39 AM
Dave Stadt

"George Patterson" wrote in message

Dave Stadt wrote:

The guy on the radio is an FAA controller. The guy with the flag is a
volunteer. Damnit out ranks a flag.

That's an example of the attitude that destroyed a priceless Corsair a few

years
back.

George Patterson
Drink up, Socrates -- it's all-natural.

That was a series of errors starting with very basic procedures that were
simply not very well thought out.

Old March 27th 05, 06:20 AM
George Patterson

Dave Stadt wrote:

The guy on the radio is an FAA controller. The guy with the flag is a
volunteer. Damnit out ranks a flag.

That's an example of the attitude that destroyed a priceless Corsair a few
years back

That was a series of errors starting with very basic procedures that were
simply not very well thought out.

And this situation would be too, if the guy with the flag knows something the
guy with the mouth does not and you hit the throttle.

Old March 27th 05, 08:24 AM
Jack Allison

jsmith wrote:
My bad... I was landing 09 with the setting sun to my back.

Ah...makes perfect sense now...one of those "your other left"
situations. I hate it when that happens! :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow Buying Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old March 27th 05, 03:05 PM
Jay Honeck

My bad... I was landing 09 with the setting sun to my back.

Ah...makes perfect sense now...one of those "your other left" situations.
I hate it when that happens! :-)

Man, it makes my heart pump just thinking about flying into OSH again this
year. What fun! :-)

Actually, I had some great practice for OSH a few weeks ago, flying into
Deland, Florida. (We were supposed to go direct Titusville, but they were
holding an airshow at TIX, and we had to wait till they reopened the field
in the early evening...)

Turns out, Deland is an incredible airport, with one of the biggest
skydiving schools in the world. Coming into the pattern from the north, I
was advised by folks in the pattern against crossing over the top of the
field for a downwind entry because of the intense skydiving activity.

Scoffing to Mary about "How many can there really be?," I nevertheless
circumnavigated the airport to enter the pattern from the south.

What a trip! I was, like, number 5 coming into the downwind. A
turbine-twin Otter was DIVING (and I mean diving, with beta thrust) into the
base leg of the pattern. Canopies literally filled the sky over the
airport, as dozens of meat bombs fell through the air.

In short, it was just like arriving in OSH -- without the control. Yee ha!

We had a great lunch at the on-field restaurant, and watched hundreds and
hundreds of skydivers land right in front of us for several hours. They were
working TWO Otters continually for the three hours we were there....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 05, 04:04 PM
jsmith

You should see it when they get a record attempt going.
Five DC-3's with 50 jumpers apiece.

Old March 27th 05, 04:36 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:05:49 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
15z1e.108739$Ze3.26161@attbi_s51::

one of the biggest skydiving schools in the world

The largest in North America:
http://www.skydiveperris.com/about/overview.asp

Old March 27th 05, 05:38 PM
John T

FIFTY jumpers in a DC-3???

whew...even a load of 18 paratroopers with full gear was "full" in WWII,
IIRC.

John