Rolls-Royce O-200?

Old August 30th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Rolls-Royce O-200?

pardon my ignorance...
Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
etc?

I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
orphan engine.

Thanks,
Ryan in Madison

(please also pardon the cross posting, I wanted to get as much input as
possible)

Old August 30th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

wrote in message
ps.com...

pardon my ignorance...
Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
etc?

I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
orphan engine.

Rolls-Royce built several Continental engines under license for many years.
I don't know if parts are interchangeable, but I don't think they'd be
considered orphan engines.

Old September 29th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

pardon my ignorance...
Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintence,
etc?

I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
orphan engine.

Rolls-Royce built several Continental engines under license for many years.
I don't know if parts are interchangeable, but I don't think they'd be
considered orphan engines.

I owned a Cessna about 20 years ago with a 0-200 RR engine. I believe
that Wag Aero, a Mr. Rick Wagner was selling them at that time. I asked
a rep at Continental motors if the engine was the same. Their reply was
all parts are interchangeable. As I recall I did have a A.D. on my
engine that required the oil pump gears to be inspected each annual.
This was only on the RR engines. I had to make a gage to insert into
the tack drive hole at the rear of the case to be able to do this. I
ran the engine several hundred hour and it was just great. Never had
any troubles at all.
Jerry

Old August 30th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_4_]

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. net...

They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
end in RR.

Plus, the RR engines feel superior to their Yank made counterparts! g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 30th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Emily[_1_]

Morgans wrote:
"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. net...
They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
end in RR.

Plus, the RR engines feel superior to their Yank made counterparts! g

Oh, come on...nothing wrong with Yank made engines!
Old August 30th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Private

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. net...

They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
end in RR.

Plus, the RR engines feel superior to their Yank made counterparts! g
--
Jim in NC

And you will need to find an AME named Nigel. G
And find a source for avpetrol. G

Old August 30th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith

They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
end in RR.

pardon my ignorance...
Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintenance,
etc?
I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
orphan engine.

And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed
to draw a crowd.
Old August 30th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave Stadt

"john smith" wrote in message
They are exactly the same engine. Only difference is the RR part numbers
end in RR.

pardon my ignorance...
Is a rolls-royce O-200 the same as a continental O-200?
I mean specifically same overhaul times, same parts, same maintenance,
etc?
I'm interested in a homebuilt with one but don't want to get into some
orphan engine.

And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed
to draw a crowd.

Yep, mine are painted black with the RR logo in red.

Old August 30th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack[_1_]

("john smith" wrote)
And they have those really neat stamped RR plates on the end of each
cylinder. When you go to fly-ins and prop your cowling open, guaranteed to
draw a crowd.

A Rolls-Royce (C125) in a 1946 Swift.

Three (OSH 2006) Yahoo Photos (link)
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z19A239AD